• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Scope levelness????

BarrettHunter

Private
Minuteman
Oct 25, 2009
Nevada
Whats the best way to level the CROSSHAIRS? I used the plum bob method, then put the level level on it and the level was off 1/4 bubble. Is this ok?

Re: Scope levelness????

BH,
Your on track using a plumb bob, while other methods are ok for getting a scope onto you rifle not all and actually most receivers, bases and rings are not "square" with themselves or the other components they are screwed, clamped or machined from to match up. Getting the rifle level (using the feed rails of the action) is sometimes the most overlooked part of the proper sequence.

I DID USE THE SEARCH! The feeler gauge method did not help me, The gun was level, the scope was level but the crosshairs were NOT. Thats why I tried the plum bob.

Anybody else ever tried using a laser level that projects "crosshairs" on a wall? I was mounting a scope one day and thought I'd give it a shot and it seems to work very well. It's supposed to be used for home projects but I found it works best for scope mounting. Intersted in what people think about my method

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: desert_reaper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anybody else ever tried using a laser level that projects "crosshairs" on a wall? I was mounting a scope one day and thought I'd give it a shot and it seems to work very well. It's supposed to be used for home projects but I found it works best for scope mounting. Intersted in what people think about my method </div></div>

That's a good idea. Why didn't I think of that. I'll give it a try when my USO gets here.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BarrettHunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I DID USE THE SEARCH! The feeler gauge method did not help me, The gun was level, the scope was level but the crosshairs were NOT. Thats why I tried the plum bob. </div></div>

Sounds like the scope might be faulty! If everything else is square on and the reticle is still off it must be canted within the tube. I'd not be happy working up loads etc using a scope with a dodgy reticle!

Use feeler gauges underneath the scope tighten down, then check with bubble level and plum bob. After that if its still off Id say your reticle is canted

I use an M-4 receiver that I check for 'squareness' . I put that on a flat surface , and mount the ringed-scope on that . I then put a machinist's square against the caps , and tighten up the rings . In essence , I'm making the reticle parallel to the deck , provided it is square in the scope ... All of my stuff has picatinny-rails , so all of my optics are interchangeable . I don't know how it works at extreme range , but it works for me ...

Making the RETICLE level is not really the issue, what you want is the TURRETS level. It's entirely possible that the crosshair is not square to the turret. If the turret is level, adding elevation will not affect windage. If the crosshair is off square enough to be annoying to look at, return the scope for repair.

Post removed until I can review and correct errors, if any. My apologies if I screwed anyone up.

I've never tried the feeler gauge method but I understand the principle.

Not sure about how good it is if the receiver is not square or if you have older non-flat bottomed scopes (like a couple of my old Zeiss scopes).

There's still room for the plumb bob (or straight side of a building
wink.gif
) and spirit levels on some occasions.

I had never heard of the feeler gauge method until now. Seems like a good weay to get it close if you have a flat-bottomed scope.

However, keep in mind that any variation of any or all the critical component parts will change the accuracy of the method. Assuming, first of all, that the top of the receiver and the mounting holes are perpendicular to the line of the bore, ALL these parts have to be perfectly parallel with eachother: base to the receiver, scope to the base, and crosshairs within the scope. So, while feeler gauges may be fine for getting you in the ballpark, I would not stop with that.

Consider that a .308 using Federal GM M2 zeroed at 100 yards will be nearly 7" off at 1000 yards if the crosshairs are canted even 1 degree from vertical in relation to the bore. 2 degrees will give you a miss!

Keep in mind as well that you need to level the "mechanical" aspects of the scope. Not all reticles are level inside the scopes, but that doesn't mean that it won't track correctly.

It will be an illusion thing, it is just whether or not you can "deal" with it personally. A reticle can even be turned 45 degrees in the scope and can still track. If the level of the reticle bothers you... save up and get the best scope you can possibly afford, and hope for the best!!

DK

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: serpnt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Check out www.scorehi.com and see Charley's write up on scope mounting.</div></div> This is at least the second time I have seen this article referenced and I dont understand how it helps. This guy says you need to level the scope and test it, there is a novel idea. So his solution is to build this huge complicated jig that not many people here could ever duplicate.

I dont see the value of this article in these discussion. Sorry to bust your balls Serpnt.

GM