• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope options for around $1k

Jobediah

Private
Minuteman
Nov 26, 2019
Oklahoma
Hi fellas, I'm putting a toe into the precision rifle pool. Not looking at doing any real competitions, maybe some local stuff a couple times a year. Mostly will be shooting targets/steel out to 650 yards. Matches are held at 1000 yards only a couple times a year so shooting beyond 1000 is not a big concern right now.
My shooting should be mostly daytime fair weather shooting.
My rig is a Howa chassis rifle in 6.5Cr and has a 10 MOA base on it. I'll be looking for a scope somewhere in the $1k range. I want to stay with MRAD.
My baseline scope would probably be the Vortex Viper PST II 5-25 but would like some options that may be better. Leaning towards Tract Toric 4-20 uhd as a better option.
Let me know what you think, Thanks!

The Toric would be a great option, consider a Athlon Ares ETR as well. Both can be had for under $1000, but the Toric might be hard to find used. The Tract has slightly better glass, but a lot less elevation. Both are better options than the PST, but the Vortex can be found for around $600 used.

I'm personally not a fan of this scope generally, but for $400 and the distances you're talking about...

get this scope and then take your time shopping for your next/better scope. If it fits your needs and you're happy with it, awesome.

(MIL & mil quad)

skip the butler creek scope caps

I like the Viper 5-25x50.
The Tract 4-20 seems to get good reviews but the small FOV turns me off.
The FOV on the PST Gen 2s is huge compared to other options and is something I've grown very fond of.

I still have a 3-15 pst gen2

It’s a great scope, but the Swfa at $400 is a no brained if you want something to start with and time to explore options

Great value price points.

Best two deals I've seen in a while is the swfa 3-15 ffp milquad for $399 (sale just started) and the Bushnell DMR II 3.5-21 for $899 at Camera Land NY from Doug here. Either will get you to 1000, the Bushnell a big step up, I own both. But for casual shooting, fair weather, 400-600 yards, either will be more than capable. The swfa 16x would be good also, just bought one for a gas gun I shoot 500-800 with routinely. It's $254 with free rings, sunshade, and level.

Swfa 5x20 hd on sale for 1k right now. Very solid with great glass

Reactions: 30338
I had a Burris XTRII 5-25 for my first matches, I liked it alot, great illumination, better turrets than my crappy Leupold MK4, and the glass was very nice for the price point, got it here for around 1000. Friend picked up a 4-20 for like 1050 new earlier this year on sale. Also really liked the SCR mil reticle.

I’ll throw in my $.02 here. I consider the Vortex Viper PST Gen II to be a significantly better option than the Athlon Ares than was suggested by someone else on here.
I have a few Athlon scopes ( 2 Cronus and 1 Ares ) and while they work just fine, I definitely prefer the Viper scopes I have over any of my 3 Athlons.
I’ve had them evaluated by several other people side by side and everyone has agreed that the Viper PST is a better optic.
I’ve got many scopes from many Manufacturers ( Nightforce ATAC-R, Kahles, Leupold Mark IV, Mark 5, and Mark 6, Athlon, Vortex AMG, Razor, and Viper, etc.
For that price point, I’ve found the Viper PST the best option on the market.

The DMR2 bundle deal with a Kestrel Sportsman at Camera Land for $1050 is an insane deal. You're getting the scope for under MAP and getting a $400+ Kestrel with ballistics software with it for free.

damn, that’s extremely tempting. I’d like a little more magnification though...

@gr8fuldoug, you wouldn’t have any specials on the XRS2 would you?

There’s some awesome deals on optics right now in the 1K and under.
the CLNY DMR combo.
XTRII deal.
Athlon ETS deal.
PST II deal.
I’d like to update the scope on my 260 but I blew my wad on bipod and barrels already, if I could I’d go for that DMR combo.

Leaning towards staying with 30mm scopes for right now. I think my choice is gonna be the SS 5-20x50 HD. Great glass, sturdy, simple reticle, hard to find bad reviews about it. The DMR deal was very tempting, as were others, but keeping it to 30mm allows me to use mounts I already own. I think for the shooting I will be doing it will serve me well. Thanks to all for your help!

Reactions: 30338
Recently got a bushnell lrts 3-12. Its my first bushnell scope and I like it a lot. Glass is good, tracing is spot on and really liking the g3 reticle. At the prices on cameraland right now it's a bargain. If you want more power the 3.5-21 is under $1000 right now.

21x is plenty for most target sizes out to 1k. The only time I really go above that on my XRS is for small plate racks at 800+.

We don’t have that much room to shoot around here, currently limited to 500 yards.

To make things more challenging/fun at 500, we shoot very small targets, eggs on golf tees, 2.5” sticker targets, beer cans, etc. For that type of shooting, high magnification definitely helps.