• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Scope Options for use w/ Clip on Thermal

BigRed308

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2019
Just finished up a 6.5 Grendel build for precision/night hunting coyotes. The night hunting will be a secondary role so I am wanting to go with a Clip On thermal so the gun can still be used the remainder of the year. I have read around and see recommendations for using 1-8 power and anything up to 13-15 power scopes.

I don't plan on hunting ELR by any means and am looking at the BTC 50 and the AGM Rattler 35/Victrix 50. What scope power would you recommend for scope with clip on use? Any thermal advice? I don't have the budget for $10K optic setups like some of the go to setups around here-so please keep that in mind.

Much appreciated as this is a totally new venture for me.

The horizontal FOV of the BTC-50 is right around 7.8 degrees, so with most conventional scopes behind it, the matching FOV is going to be right around 3x. A little lower with some and a little higher with others.
I would not go with anything that has low end magnification higher than that.
Since you will be using it a good bit during the day, presumably at reasonable distances, an LPVO may not be ideal, although I have a few here 1-8x and 1-10x ones that could do the job pretty well, with PA's PLxC 1-8x24 possibly being one of the better ones for the money if you want FFP. If you want SFP, I am kinda liking the Tract 1-8x24.
Personally, I'd be looking for something along the lines of the Viper PST Gen2 3-15x44 for a day scope for this and pair with Burris BTC-50. PST Gen2 3x FOV is nearly perfectly matched to the BTC-50 and during the day, 3-15x is a good magnification range for you application.

ILya

The horizontal FOV of the BTC-50 is right around 7.8 degrees, so with most conventional scopes behind it, the matching FOV is going to be right around 3x. A little lower with some and a little higher with others.
I would not go with anything that has low end magnification higher than that.
Since you will be using it a good bit during the day, presumably at reasonable distances, an LPVO may not be ideal, although I have a few here 1-8x and 1-10x ones that could do the job pretty well, with PA's PLxC 1-8x24 possibly being one of the better ones for the money if you want FFP. If you want SFP, I am kinda liking the Tract 1-8x24.
Personally, I'd be looking for something along the lines of the Viper PST Gen2 3-15x44 for a day scope for this and pair with Burris BTC-50. PST Gen2 3x FOV is nearly perfectly matched to the BTC-50 and during the day, 3-15x is a good magnification range for you application.

ILya

I was favoring the pst 3-15 actually so that’s great. Mount height is personal preference for a clip on correct-since you can objective mount these?

I was favoring the pst 3-15 actually so that’s great. Mount height is personal preference for a clip on correct-since you can objective mount these?
It is generally better to mount the clip-on directly onto the rail and match the height with the scope mount. If that is not available, you can mount it on the objective of the dayscope.

ILya

You will be looking at a tiny screen. At 1x it will be a small rectangle with wasted space around it. At 6-8x you will be looking at part of the rectangle and the image will become pixilated and this is the upper practical limit.

Depends on the scope, but if your 3x fills the screen by cutting off the corners of the rectangle it may suck if those areas have critical menu icons you need to see.

My first thermal was a Hogster clip on and I learned 1-6, 1-8 and 2-10 work for it. 3x and I could not see all of the menu options, so 3-15 was out.

Depends on the thermal though, I recommend playing with the scopes you have to get a feel before buying new.

I went clipon this year. Got the Iray rh25, Voodoo S, and TigIr 6m...I'd say go 1-10 vortex so that you can use 10x at times. I have 1, but I also have 2 Atacr 1-8s with a 3rd on the way. I don't feel like I'm giving up THAT much having 8x top end, it's versatile enough to use with all my thermals. I do have a 2.5-20 and another on the way, the TigIr is it's intended pairing and it actually work quite well for that. Late winter coyotes and the ability to shoot longer ranges daytime is why I got them, I don't really see that much of an issue optically with this model.

If someone would make a sub 25oz 2-20ish power scope with center dot reticle FFP and come close to the 1-6 vortex Razor eye box....I'd be betting it would become the go to scope for the thermals now hitting the market and make the larger more powerful Clipons more attractive.

I use a march 1.5-15x42 with a lwts, best combination I've found if you go the clip on route,

I went clipon this year. Got the Iray rh25, Voodoo S, and TigIr 6m...I'd say go 1-10 vortex so that you can use 10x at times. I have 1, but I also have 2 Atacr 1-8s with a 3rd on the way. I don't feel like I'm giving up THAT much having 8x top end, it's versatile enough to use with all my thermals. I do have a 2.5-20 and another on the way, the TigIr is it's intended pairing and it actually work quite well for that. Late winter coyotes and the ability to shoot longer ranges daytime is why I got them, I don't really see that much of an issue optically with this model.

If someone would make a sub 25oz 2-20ish power scope with center dot reticle FFP and come close to the 1-6 vortex Razor eye box....I'd be betting it would become the go to scope for the thermals now hitting the market and make the larger more powerful Clipons more attractive.
How far have you shot out to?

Tried Pulsar clip-on with the scope I had, which was 4-16 Vortex. It works but FOV is small and the display ribbon at the bottom was not visible. Changed to an Athlon 2-12 which is much better. Pulsar recommends 1-6. Am completely satisfied with the clip-on system.