• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope Options

heitmann45

Online Training Member
Minuteman
Feb 9, 2010
CA
I know several people have asked similar questions on here as I've been reading several threads from doing searches for the last few weeks. However, none of the similar threads pertain exactly to my situation so I figured it is time to ask.

I work as a sniper with my agencies swat team. Most of our training focuses between 50 and 300 yards at MOA or sometimes smaller targets. We occasionally shoot to 600+ yards when we can get to a range that has the distance. I also compete in precision rifle matches locally when I can get the time off that usually reach 600 yards. From time to time I make trips to the desert to shoot 1000+ yards.

I'm looking for a scope that will perform well with all three uses. I'm currently using a Nightforce 3.5-15x50 NP-R1 moa/moa scope. I like the scope and think the reticle thickness is about perfect. I like the second focal plane because no matter what power I'm on, the reticle is easy to see. I have several pages in my data book for hold overs at different powers. I'm thinking about going to a FFP reticle so I don't have to memorize all the different hold overs or look them up. I'm looking for a FFP reticle that is easy to see at low powers as I find myself using 3.5 power when observing large buildings at 75 to 100 yards as well as shooting in unconventional positions. Of course I use the higher end whenever the distances and positions allow. Here's what I've been looking at:

HDMR with either H59 or G2 reticle

Possibly a Nightforce F1 H58 or other mil reticle

Premier with Gen II in 3-15 or possibly Gen II XR for the 5-20

Schmidt & Bender 5-25x56 (or hold out for the 3-20) in a horus reticle, Gen II, or P4/P4F.

I don't really want a scope that has more than 5x at the low end but I'm not married to the 3-15 either.

My main issue comes with the fact that I can't get any hands on time with any of these scopes. The only local store I've found that carries high end scopes only carries S&B but sold the last one as I walked through the door. Without seeing these reticles, I'm having a hard time with the decision because I don't want to drop the money and get a scope with a reticle that is great for long range, but thin as a hair at close range and vice versa. I'm not sure if the Horus reticles will provide me with much use for work, but I know they are pretty popular for competition. Obviously, work comes first, but it would be nice if it worked well for both.

If anyone has any input or comparisons of scopes/reticles I've mentioned and how they would relate best to my situation I'd greatly appreciate it. Sorry for the long winded question.

Re: Scope Options

I think I'm in a similar predicament to you. Putting together an M40A5 build and I cannot decide on the optics and the closest retailer that has the ones I want is 4+ hours away. I'd just search around and see what other people like and also go with your gut feeling. In addition, I noticed that you didn't mention that you were looking at US Optics. From what I've heard, read, and seen, they're amazing scopes. I'm having difficulty deciding between a Schmidt and Bender and a US Optics because both are the best around.

Re: Scope Options

I know someone around here has some info.