• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope Recommedations.

909er

Private
Minuteman
Feb 6, 2012
So. Cal. RanchoCucamonga
Please disregard. I just saw the sticky note on scope recommendations. Im at a loss to determine what type of scope to look at. Our local monthly matches (Im new) consist of a combination of paper targets out to 150 yards and steel target of various sizes out to 600 yards. Speed in transitioning is critical so holdover is the method of engaging the target. No time for dialing. One shot could be a 1 1/2" paper target at 75yards and then immediately a 460 yard, 6" steel gong . Speaking to some guys they are shooting with no more than 12X magnification to acquire there target. Yet there scopes are capable of 22-25 power. What would be a good scope under $2000? Is there one under $1000?? I have a newly built AR10 with a Krieger heavy barrel shooting .308 if that matters at all. One other competition that I may participate in does stretch out to 1000 yards. So that needs to be a factor as well. Thanks for any possible direction guys.

Last edited:
Have you read the optics selection sticky? You have many good options @ the 2000 dollar mark. @ 600 yards you'll want at least 12x and for doing holdovers I would recommend a well laid out Mil-based reticle. The Bushnell HDMR 3-21 with G2 reticle came to mind when reading your post but some people would consider that a pretty large optic.

And just a heads up, the "what scope should I buy" threads are kind of frowned upon I think. Read the sticky and do some searching.

Under $1000, I picked the Vortex Viper PST 6-24X.

I purchased from Sport Optics. They have a nice SH discount and were very good to deal with.

What is the discount for sh users at optics planet? Anyways bro, IMO the best scope out there for the money and getting a first focal plane I'd the bushnell hdmr. I don't know if you are read up much on reticles but if you can figure out the Horus or the tremor2 they are the heat!! If you go to Horusvision.com then you can read up on them. They have first focal plane scopes as well but I haven't heard the best reviews on them.

[QUOTE

And just a heads up, the "what scope should I buy" threads are kind of frowned upon I think. Read the sticky and do some searching.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, The Bushnell DMR scope did come to mind. I was wondering if this question would be looked down on, but the scopes that I have in mind seem to be recommended by people that sell them rather than real world users. I appreciate the response. The Vortex PST FFP 4-16 was my other scope I had in mind. I bought a 2nd focal plane scope that is 8.5-25 power and it simply too much power for the tactical match and the subtension lines mean little to nothing at the lesser settings. (For me anyways). I will read the sticky and do some further research. I just dont want to buy another scope that doesnt work for my application.