• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Scope recommendation - 308 first build

dfwm

Private
Minuteman
Nov 11, 2011
MI
First - I want to admit that I am confused. I have read what seems hundreds of threads and thousands of posts on the scope forum. Telling me this question has been covered before will not be helpful. Plus advice that was given two years ago (yes I have gone back that far) will not take into account new offerings that have come to market.

Here is what I have;
Remington .308 M700 ADL with 26" HB - (Dick's special gun)
McRee's chassis on order and due to arrive this week

Here is what I need/want:
Scope for target and sniping duty at 400-1000 yards. I think the zero stop is a good feature so it needs that. MIL/MIL and a reticle that is easy to use for holding off but not too "busy". I am not married to any manufacturer but will not buy a SS. My budget is in the $2000 range.

I also need a good scope mount. It would be great if it was QD but not if that compromises accuracy or reliability.

This part is tricky to say and not meant to be offensive. Please do not respond unless you have practical experience with a number of different optics. I see so many posts from those justifying the equipment they have or can afford. I thought my Ford was a great car until I took my buddies Mercedes out for a drive.

Lastly, I suspect there may be reluctance for some sponsors to select one manufacturer over another. If that is the case, PM me with your recommendations.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Don

Re: Scope recommendation - 308 first build

You did not mention if its needs to be FFP but since I think its that important I'm going to suggest going with something with FFP.

I would take a look at PST because it has the zero stop. I would also look at Bushnell 6-24 with the Gap 2 reticle. It doesn't have zero stops but its easy enough to make some yourself with that type turret. You can put a few nylon washers under the cap to make it bottom out.

I like the Bushnell over the PST but thats just my preference.

Not sure I understand the desire for a QD mount on a long range bolt gun nor the refusal to consider something like the SS 5-20. That's a decent scope for a great price. Zero stop is nice but IMO is only necessary for NF compact NXS turrets or for people who have to shoot in the dark.

The Vortex HD would be in your price range.

If it was my rifle and I wanted to shoot to 1000 yards my scope choice would be a Nightforce NXS 3-15X50/56. I have the vortex scope mentioned and it just doesn't have the resolution (IMO) to shoot at 1000 yards. The mount I have had very good success with is the Burris 30mm PEPR mount. It is reasonably priced and rock solid. I prefer the fixed PEPR over the QD model. SWFA sells the fixed PEPR for $69.95. I have used more expensive mounts but the PEPR works just as well.

Dfwm what part of MI ?

I also dont understand a reluctance twords swfa, but it doesnt matter. For 2k my vote is Vortex razor 5x20 with 10mil turrets. It comes with rings but if you want a QD mount I cant recommend one for your application.

It seems I have a rifle very similar to yours but exactly opposite
Savage 12fvss 26" HB in an XLR chassis with a SWFA 5x20 lol
it'd be fun to compair them maybe even do a write up.

yup. $2k go with the Razor. if FFP isnt important, NF. why the zero stop?

Rhenerie, I currently live in SE MI but will be moving to the Gaylord area soon.

I wanted a QD mount as I am planning another build and was hoping I could swap scopes between the two guns.

I should have mentioned I wanted FFP so that was a great assumption TRAAV. I did not know I could "make" zero stops for the Bushy - that is more good info.

You guys do not disappoint!!!

My reluctance to use SWFA is poor treatment so I will go elsewhere.

I will let this thread run for a day or two and then make a purchase. I will let y'all know which scope I decide on.

Again, many thanks.

Bushnell 3.5-21x50 ffp g2dmr. I like the reticle and pretty decent glass for the price which is well under your budget of 2k.

SE area too, if you get your rig done and want to go out some time let me know. I also head up to Houghten lake occasional, pretty close to gaylord.

Look at a March F 3-24 42mm. FFP, mil/mil, focus down to 10 meters, tactical turrets 0.1 mil, rugged, novel zero stop and in your price range $2230 shipped from Kelby Rfiles. You won't be disappointed. Great scope for what you want to do.