• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope Recommendation for 26" 6.5 CM Bolt Gun?

gunsandgear

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2018
  • What is the platform for the scope? MPA Pro Bolt-Action Rifle
  • What cartridge are you shooting? 6.5 CM
  • What is your intended use for the scope? Benchrest, Steel, PRS, Plinking
  • What type of conditions will you typically shoot in? Normally during daylight hours but no specific time, some night shooting
  • What are the typical distances you intend to shoot? 100-1,200 yards
  • Are there any specific specifications you would like? FFP, Mil/Mil, Zero Stop, Illumination (if possible)
  • What is the price range you can afford? Open to spending what I need to, pretty much anything short of B.E.A.S.T. pricing

Really unsure about what reticle to go with. I prefer a floating dot or open center. The H59 and Tremor 3 look too busy but I have heard good things about the Tremor 3, so I'm open to being convinced. The EBR-7C and Mil XT reticles look attractive to me but thats just at first glance. I'm new to long range and more than happy to use an H59 or Tremor reticle if its appropriate for me. I don't have access to any ranges/matches at the moment where I could go check out a wide variety of high-end scopes unfortunately.

Please let me know what other information would be helpful. Thanks.

For that price, I'd go ATACR. Probably a 7-35. I've shot a rifle with one and all I can say is damn.

PSA: I've never looked through a TT or S&B

I'm not sure I'd buy a new minox ZP5 but the used market is good. I just got one in the PX and in should be here Friday. The MR4 is a clean reticle without much missing.

It's worth adding that if you get above $3k for a scope, you're probably best off just spending the extra and getting the ZCO.

Reactions: asaavedra and Tono
ATACR 5-25
US Optics FDN25

Would be my top. I have a Bushnell XRS2 and it's excellent. There is very minor improvements with the NF or USO. Turrets and minor improvement in glass (but not much). Those are the only 2 I have experience with other than the XRS2

My preference scope/reticle in order of preference would be (all mil mil scopes):

ZCO 4-20 w/ MPCT2 or
ZCO 5-27 w/ MPCT2 or MPCT3

Vortex AMG w/EBR7B

Nightforce ATACR F1 7-35 w/ Mil XT
Nightforce ATACR F1 5-25 w/ Mil XT

Kahles K525i w/ SKMR3

Kahles K624i w/ SKMR3

Leupold Mk5HD 5-25 w/ CCH
Leupold Mk5HD 3-18 w/CCH

Vortex Gen2 Razor 4.5-27 w/ EBR-2C or EBR-7C
Vortex Gen2 Razor 3-18 w/ EBR-7C

Schmidt & Bender 5-25 w/ GRID

I pretty much choose my scopes first by what reticle they offer. For example, I love the Schmidt & Bender scopes and I own 3 of them with P4F and H2CMR reticles, but I want a christmas tree reticle for shooting matches and the GRID reticle is the only one they have that is close to OK with me. I don't like Horus reticles and don't want to pay the big price premium that you have to pay to get them.

I don't own a ZCO scope but have looked through and played with enough of them to know they are my favorite precision rifle scope out there right now. I own 2 Vortex AMGs and a Kahles K624i that I use for matches and they're excellent scopes but sometimes you get what you pay for and the ZCO has better glass and they pretty much did everything right with their scopes.

If I were starting out from scratch, I'd get a ZCO. But I'm not and my next favorite scope is the Vortex AMG which has a great reticle for precision rifle shooting, excellent optics (if just a step down from ZCO and S&B), excellent ergonomics in a relatively lightweight package, excellent reputation for reliability, comes from a good company with excellent customer service, and except for the German made reticle, is made entirely in the USA.

Last edited:
I would also recommend a ZCO 5-27. I just purchased one from mile high got the free spuhr mount. It is going on a MPA matrix. Waiting on my matrix so now it is on one of my AR10s. I hopefully will be getting a 4-20 before the deal is over to put on my AR10 for good. I honestly have never had any highend optics but this thing has everything I want and is crystal clear.

Reactions: CSTactical
ZCO with free rings at several places through 5/31, can't beat that if you've got the $.
EO has a NF 7-35 Mil-XT like-new demo at $3K, make it go away.
Liberty Optics Razors/AMG... I keep going back.
You can't lose with your budget!

kahles 624 I Left side windage SKMR3

Attachments

• SKMR3_K624i-K525i.pdf
    225.1 KB · Views: 36
NF 7-35
NF 5-25
Bushnell XRSIII
Have them all, like them for different reasons. My buddy is selling a new 5-25 if you are interested, send a msg.

So many good suggestions. Thank you, gentlemen. Doing more research now.

ZCO 5-27x MPCT2 reticle is OOS at Mile High Shooting or that could have been the ticket with the free Spuhr mount, dang.

Also, after some more thinking, ideally I want to have this optic mounted for under $3k if possible. The ZCO with the free Spuhr would probably have gotten me to go over $3k but I need to be compelled to break the $3k threshold.

I'm thinking about getting a mount from MPA so that will be about $300 OTD... leaving $2,700ish for the scope ideally, new or used doesn't matter to me...

So many good suggestions. Thank you, gentlemen. Doing more research now.

ZCO 5-27x MPCT2 reticle is OOS at Mile High Shooting or that could have been the ticket with the free Spuhr mount, dang.

Also, after some more thinking, ideally I want to have this optic mounted for under $3k if possible. The ZCO with the free Spuhr would probably have gotten me to go over $3k but I need to be compelled to break the $3k threshold.

I'm thinking about getting a mount from MPA so that will be about $300 OTD... leaving $2,700ish for the scope ideally, new or used doesn't matter to me...
One thing that I looked at when buying the ZCO and the other scopes I was looking at " NF Atacr 7-35, 5-25, 4-32 NX8, and the luepold Mark 5 HD 5-25" was the amount of scope you get for the money. Now I don't have alot of first hand knowledge about all these scopes. Had to just research what was out there and be good with the decision I made. One thing about the ZCO is in alot of the comparisons that people with first hand knowledge were making was comparing it to a Tangent theta witch for me was just out of my budget. The ZCO was right there out of my budget aswell but decided to take the leap. I feel that if people are really stacking it up to a tangent theta then this has got to be the best scope for the money out there. It just is a bit high priced to be in peoples budget. That is just my 2 cents. I know mile high was out of the 5-27 when I was looking and I called them and luckily they had a shipment that day and they sent it out the very next day. I am actually going to call them to get another one before the sale ends. So I would assume you could call them and still be able to get one if you chose to go with ZCO. Good luck in you decision. No mater what scope you get in that price range you are forsure to get a great scope.

Not seeing anything regarding the Spuhr mount at CS Tactical. Do they have the same deal? Am I just missing it? I'm on my phone, will check again from the computer in the morning.

They have the same deal. You're just supposed to put the mount you want in the comments at checkout i believe.

The ZCO is super nice. I went with the mpct2 version. The 3 seemed good as well, but just more going on than I cared for. I liked the 1 as well. Really clean and nicely laid out. Probably a bit harder to precisely do large hold overs though. The 2 is a nice comprise with the tree to make hold overs easier but not too crazy.

Not seeing anything regarding the Spuhr mount at CS Tactical. Do they have the same deal? Am I just missing it? I'm on my phone, will check again from the computer in the morning.

We have the ZC527 MPCT2 in stock, and you can put the mount of choice in the notes or call me at 916-670-1103 and I can get you squared away.
My apologies, my web guy should have specified the promo and how to take advantage of it.

Reactions: BikePilot and Tono
I've never looked thru a ZCO, I've also never heard anyone say they regretted spending the money for one either. If you are trying to spend a little less, Liberty Optics has a screaming good deal on the Vortex AMG. You have to add it to your cart on the web site to see the shipped price. I've seen used AMG's in the PX for more.

Last edited:
@Jake the dog is correct Liberty does have a screaming deal on the AMG, I have two of them on my comp shooting rifles on they work very well for me. Now if I didn't already have them, would I spend the extra $$$ to go ZCO, at that price difference, I'm not sure.

Have you tried a spreadsheet, listing the pros and cons of each scope?

Calling the guys at CS Tactical, Mile High Shooting, Liberty Optics, Camera Land NY and discussing the scopes with them may also be a good option. Keep in mind that some shops give Sniper's Hide members a discount, so it's usually best to call in your order. Plus some have Memorial Day sales running...

I think that is what I'm going to have to do at this point. I'm going to look for any "deals" being offered for Memorial Day but most of these scopes are already offered at a discount with Hide pricing so I'm guessing that won't be the decision maker.

Still looking.... Saw that the ZCO promotion got extended through June.

So far considering the following:

-Vortex Razor 4.5-27x w/ EBR-7 reticle (she is heavy though)

-Vortex AMG

-ZCO 5-27 MPT2

-NF ATACR 5-25
-->maybe 7-35 but she's extra pricey and I'm not sure if I need all that magnification

Any more thoughts?

Those are all great choices, I think it just depends on what reticle you like the best along with how much you want to spend. For me, I have shot with all of those scopes, and they've all got good turrets, repeatable adjustments, and good ergonomics. I think the glass in the AMG is a bit better than the Razor Gen2 and equal to or maybe a bit better than the NF ATACR F1 5-25. I can see mirage through the AMG fine. The ZCO glass is in a higher league than the other scopes your looking at but so is the price. With NF, I never liked the objective that rotates when you change magnification, and I prefer the Vortex EBR-7 or ZCO MPCT2 reticle over any of the NF reticles by far. Plus with current pricing, the NF is over $3K which brings them much closer to the ZCO in price.

Kahles used $1950. Bought off the hide.

Attachments

• SKMR3_K624i-K525i.pdf
    225.1 KB · Views: 32
I have a Nightforce ATACR 7-35 with T3 and I just wanted to throw my recommendation in on it. You definitely won't regret having the extra magnification on hand. It's a dream to use, can't recommend enough.