• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope recommendation

Kbl3509

Private
Minuteman
Aug 14, 2019
Now that I have the rifle situation figured out, next is glass. Scope will be going on a 6.5 CM rifle used for bench long range and some coyote hunting. Has to be a FFP scope and MIL/MIL. Any certain model recommendation ?

Steiner P4Xi 4-16x56 from @gr8fuldoug at Cameraland for $800 comes to mind. Awesome scope for the money. I’m still amazed by its optical performance every time I use it. Easy to get behind, great low light performance, durable, and has good turrets.

Bushnell elite dmr 2 pro...keep an eye on EE or possibly black Friday sale.

Steiner P4Xi 4-16x56 from @gr8fuldoug at Cameraland for $800 comes to mind. Awesome scope for the money. I’m still amazed by its optical performance every time I use it. Easy to get behind, great low light performance, durable, and has good turrets.

The Steiner P4Xi 4-16x56 SCR or the Athlon Ares ETR would be good options

or one of these Bushnells would also be a good choice:

Elite Tactical LRTS 3-12x44 Flat Dark Earth - G3 #ET3124GA reduced from $1,299.99 to only $699.99
RainGuard HD - Patented, permanent water-repellent coating resists moisture from rain, snow, sleet and condensation for clear viewing, even in inclement weather.
Argon Purged Fog-Proofing - Argon-filled optics remain stable regardless of ambient temperature for the ultimate fog-proof protection.
IPX7 Waterproof construction - O-ring sealed optics stay dry inside, when immersed in three feet of water for up to 30 minutes.
Features a non-illuminated G3 FFP reticle in flat dark earth finish.

Elite Tactical LRTS 3-12x44 - G3 #ET3124G reduced from $1,349.99 to only $699.99
RainGuard HD - Patented, permanent water-repellent coating resists moisture from rain, snow, sleet and condensation for clear viewing, even in inclement weather.
Argon Purged Fog-Proofing - Argon-filled optics remain stable regardless of ambient temperature for the ultimate fog-proof protection.
IPX7 Waterproof construction - O-ring sealed optics stay dry inside, when immersed in three feet of water for up to 30 minutes.
Features an Illuminated G3 FFP reticle in black finish

We have a couple of Open Box, same as new, never mounted complete:

Elite Tactical DMR II 3.5-21x50 G3 #ET36215G reduced from $1,549.99 to only $999.99
Exclusive EXO Barrier Protection
IPX7 Waterproof construction
Throwhammer Throw Lever
G3 reticle
T-Lok locking windage turret
RevLimiter zero stop
Fast focus eyepiece
34mm tube diameter

Bushnell Elite Tactical HDMR II 3.5-21x50 - H59 #ET36215H reduced from $1,599.99 to only $999.99
Exclusive EXO Barrier Protection
IPX7 Waterproof construction
Throwhammer Throw Lever
H59 reticle
T-Lok locking windage turret
RevLimiter zero stop
Fast focus eyepiece
34mm tube diameter

I'm in till 5:30 today if you'd like to give a call, 516-217-1000
Doug

leupold mk5HD, Steiner, NF. My HD is crazy clear, Steinner is just good German glass and never a complaint about NF

Reactions: gr8fuldoug
Yeah that's a little out of my price range. Spoke with Doug at cameraland earlier. Even though he's a salesman lol, he was very helpful narrowing scope search down.

I've always heard spend more on optic than the rifle but running out of money. Spent a lot on the rifle. Don't want to get something I'll regret later but don't want to spend a shit ton either.

I'd have never known building a rifle would be as stressful as building a house. Haha. Glad I got this forum!

If you are stretching it out past 600 you will start to struggle with a 14, but this demo Nightforce SHV F1 4-14x50 is a good deal at $1032 :https://www.sportoptics.com/nightforce-rifle-scopes-demos-c557-nd.aspx

You may be better off picking up something like a Burris XTR II 5-25x50. Not the best, but not bad either. The first 'entry level' LR scope I picked up was the XTR II in 8-40. I still have it, just moved it over to a 308 that I play with every now and again it has seen thousands of rounds go down range. Turrets are a stiff, caps flap in the wind, zero stop is a pain to set, but the glass is actually decent for the money and the SCR reticle is easy to learn. You can get the 5-25x50 with a free set of Signature XTR rings for just over $1k. https://www.sportoptics.com/burris-xtr-ii-5-25x-50-201051.aspx

Reactions: Birddog6424
I have been researching that NF scope. Really looks like the one given my budget. I'm already having to sneak the rifle in to the house.

Also been looking at the Leupold VX3i. I can get one fairly reasonable through a dealer that gives LEO pricing. Which is a huge plus and very much appreciated. I just don't know which brand to go with. I guess any of them will be fine.

Anyone have experience or a comparison (to the above listed scopes) with the Leupold VX3i series?

I'm not a brand snob but kinda want to stick to some of the brands that have a longer track record for the money I'm going to be spending. Thanks.

IMO Leopold does not have a good track record with LRP optics. MOA/BDC world sure, but even then Vortex and NF are a better value.

I get that people like Athlon. My son has one that I purchased for him. I would not buy again.

This NF SHV 4-14 FFP in mil for LE price sure is looking good then! I just hope the 14 power will be enough for what I'm wanting.

Reactions: M8541Reaper
SWFA 5-20X50HD. These are noted for sturdiness. SWFA has an excellent warranty. Has 30mils elevation. Glass hits above it's pricepoint. They dial and RTZ pretty much perfectly. You will need a cat tail (available from a hide vendor search the optics forum). A zero stop shim kit. A parallax assist from Aadland.

The knocks on these are no zero stop (see above), the reticle is dated (which means it's not a christmas tree) and the weight ( it is a tank but it also is extremely durable). They are available with and without illumination. The illumination is not daylight bright. These became available around 2012 or 2013. I bought two of the original production with the intent of keeping one and selling the other. I kept both and have since bought a third.

There are a lot of these out there but they are fairly rare in the PX. I think the reason is that most who are moving up in scope have a 5-20 that works fine and at around a grand for a used one they just keep them. Here is one that is currently on the PX. Considering price and condition, it's a pretty good buy w/o illumination and a good buy with illumination. https://www.snipershide.com/shootin...ot-with-a-kz-aimpoint-mount-like-new.6960336/

To get more info on SWFA just search this forum. You are not going to find posters saying they wish they hadn't bought one.

for less than $1k, you should look at the Leupold VX-3i LRP line. I've been very happy with mine, and it comes in MOA/MOA or MIL/MIL option.

I have a Bushnell ERS 3.5-21mm, Mils, Zero-Stop, G2DMR Reticle that I will sell for cheap if you’re interested

The 2 ways I would think about this if you are set on doing this right now: 1) buy a mid tier optic (it will likely need to be used) with a lower power, or 2) you buy a mid-low tier optic (used or closeout) with higher power. If you live where it is hot and humid, the higher quality glass is important because the mirage will be worse. If the climate is dryer, on really hot days you can dial back a lower end optic and typically be okay. With a grand in your pocket I would not consider the lower end stuff - thick reticles, bad coatings, gritty turrets, etc.

More money pays dividends. With another $500 in the pot you should be able to buy a decent used/demo/discontinued optic that won't have too many disappointments. If you can find something like a Steiner T5xi it will have enough to keep you happy for a while (good power range, okay glass, okay click feel). Another $1k gets you a used NF or maybe Vortex that is likely discontinued, but one in decent shape will last years. The reality is pretty much anything that is new under $2500 is going to be lacking in more than one area, and it takes around $3k to get the stuff that you just grin at all the time.

Reactions: WhiskeyTang
The 2 ways I would think about this if you are set on doing this right now: 1) buy a mid tier optic (it will likely need to be used) with a lower power, or 2) you buy a mid-low tier optic (used or closeout) with higher power. If you live where it is hot and humid, the higher quality glass is important because the mirage will be worse. If the climate is dryer, on really hot days you can dial back a lower end optic and typically be okay. With a grand in your pocket I would not consider the lower end stuff - thick reticles, bad coatings, gritty turrets, etc.

More money pays dividends. With another $500 in the pot you should be able to buy a decent used/demo/discontinued optic that won't have too many disappointments. If you can find something like a Steiner T5xi it will have enough to keep you happy for a while (good power range, okay glass, okay click feel). Another $1k gets you a used NF or maybe Vortex that is likely discontinued, but one in decent shape will last years. The reality is pretty much anything that is new under $2500 is going to be lacking in more than one area, and it takes around $3k to get the stuff that you just grin at all the time.

I gotta disagree with the large majority of that assessment. I've spent 5 years actively competing in PRS with a Burris XTRII. Hardly top of the line, durable and tracked perfectly, glass wasnt close to top of the line. Never dropped a single shot due to the scope, could find and hit every target just like everyone else. I wouldnt have shot any better with a more expensive optic.

There are plenty of good scopes at $1k. Some great ones at $2k. There are plenty of optics at these price points these days that will treat you great. There are multitudes of guys running sub $2500 optics in the PRS and NRL and winning.

Get the best you can afford. Upgrade later if you choose.

Reactions: Chestnutmare
I gotta disagree with the large majority of that assessment. I've spent 5 years actively competing in PRS with a Burris XTRII. Hardly top of the line, durable and tracked perfectly, glass wasnt close to top of the line. Never dropped a single shot due to the scope, could find and hit every target just like everyone else. I wouldnt have shot any better with a more expensive optic.

There are plenty of good scopes at $1k. Some great ones at $2k. There are plenty of optics at these price points these days that will treat you great. There are multitudes of guys running sub $2500 optics in the PRS and NRL and winning.

Get the best you can afford. Upgrade later if you choose.

You may have missed post #10. I have a Burris XTR II so I know very well what they are capable of. Yeah I have moved on from keeping on my primary systems, but I still have it and it does still get used just this past weekend in fact. I have never blamed it for missing a target that I could actually see. It is okay up where I live, but is sucked ass in the humid TX heat. So if he is where it is hot and humid mirage should be considered. Also, a scope being usable vs. finding things that you don't like about it are 2 very different things. The OP seems rather concerned about regrets; it is pretty easy to pick apart a $1k scope which is what the post you quoted was about.

Antithesis you basically nailed it sounds like. I live in the furthest south part of Missouri you can go. It is very humid here! And yes some people have more money than the law would allow. I don't. Which is why I'm so particular in finding something I can buy once and be happy with. Because once I buy it, it's mine and more than likely what I'm going to be stuck with. So I'd rather spend weeks or even months researching and finding that "perfect" scope in my price range.

Thanks!

Reactions: antithesis
You may have missed post #10. I have a Burris XTR II so I know very well what they are capable of. Yeah I have moved on from keeping on my primary systems, but I still have it and it does still get used just this past weekend in fact. I have never blamed it for missing a target that I could actually see. It is okay up where I live, but is sucked ass in the humid TX heat. So if he is where it is hot and humid mirage should be considered. Also, a scope being usable vs. finding things that you don't like about it are 2 very different things. The OP seems rather concerned about regrets; it is pretty easy to pick apart a $1k scope which is what the post you quoted was about.

I saw the XTR II bit higher up. I get where you're coming from. I guess I did a poor job of understanding the point you were trying to make.

It's all good ;)

Reactions: antithesis
OP, I'd buy a Athlon Midas TAC 6-24x50 until you have a chance to get behind the expensive scopes so you can make the best decision according to your wants and needs.

Honestly as far as the quality of the feel of the TAC it's pretty high, higher than the Ares BTR's that are on closeout and the glass in it is up there with most $2000 scopes.

You'll be way ahead using that extra money on practice for now.

Just set aside some $ for your expensive scope if that's where you feel like going later on.

A friend bought a ZCO and has commented that he can't fault his old Athlon Cronos BTR 4.5-29. He actually had to send his ZCO back twice for repair.

Reactions: Birddog6424
If you are stretching it out past 600 you will start to struggle with a 14...

What?
Who the fuck told you that and why would you believe it to the point that you’d pass it onto other shooter as actual advice?

14x is plenty for a shooter to put rounds on target at a grand let alone 1200.

OP, don’t get wrapped up in magnification and focus your budget on quality glass that tracks, even if it’s in the 2.5-10x, 3-12x, or 4-14x range. Quality glass that tracks reliably will do wayyyy more for you than chasing magnification.

Best of luck man and keep an eye out in the PX. You might have to add an extra bill, but there are always great deals goin down.

Reactions: Harman117
Whatever. Not everyone shoots full size ipsc out in the middle of a field. If you are the guy that can put 3 shots on the hostage taker flapper at 1200 with a 14x then good on you. I sure as heck am not going to assume a guy that just bought his rifle can do it.

Athlon Optics Ares BTR - 4.5-27x 50mm - Mil Adjustments - Side Focus - First Focal Illuminated APLR3 MIL Reticle - Matte

Right now, this is by far the best piece of glass you will find for this price. (Value/price ratio) (I didn't say THE BEST)

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1018816323?pid=863101

Here is a thread for it on this forum as well
http://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/athlon-ares-btr-399-425-midwayusa.6958399/

If you are planning for long range shooting this easily fits the bill.
If you are Coyote hunting the Lite reticle on 4.5 power can get the job done.

Doug at Cameralandy also has thier 2.5-15 Athlon Ares BTR that will get this job done too. 399 I think.

Whatever. Not everyone shoots full size ipsc out in the middle of a field. If you are the guy that can put 3 shots on the hostage taker flapper at 1200 with a 14x then good on you. I sure as heck am not going to assume a guy that just bought his rifle can do it.

lol teaching shooters, to include new shooters, and watching them hit 10”, 8”, and (most hitting) 5” steel at 1,000yds on 10x, 12x, and 15x mag from the prone definitely never happened I guess.

People build shooting up to be harder than what it is. lol you can put the DOPE on the gun, tell the dope to get on it (after showing how to get into position, NPA/Trigger Press/etc because it has never done it before), and have them hit 10” steel at a grand with a fixed 10x. I’ve had multiple people do it, it isn’t fucking magic.

I guess shitty fundamentals can be made up for by increasing the magnification. lol

More magnification = increased hit probability at distance. got It.

Shooters on a budget need to focus their limited funds on glass and tracking quality, not magnification.

lol teaching shooters, to include new shooters, and watching them hit 10”, 8”, and (most hitting) 5” steel at 1,000yds on 10x, 12x, and 15x mag from the prone definitely never happened I guess.

People build shooting up to be harder than what it is. lol you can put the DOPE on the gun, tell the dope to get on it (after showing how to get into position, NPA/Trigger Press/etc because it has never done it before), and have them hit 10” steel at a grand with a fixed 10x. I’ve had multiple people do it, it isn’t fucking magic.

I guess shitty fundamentals can be made up for by increasing the magnification. lol

More magnification = increased hit probability at distance. got It.

Shooters on a budget need to focus their limited funds on glass and tracking quality, not magnification.
I don't think @antithesis is saying it can't be done with a low power or fix power scope, but rather a higher magnification range can make it easier to see and spot both impacts and misses, and can help identify targets. I can sit down and poke a target at a thousand with a fixed 10 x, but the target will likely be hard to make out.

Reactions: M8541Reaper
Burris XTR II for 1000 range. Glass is not bad. But turrets and return to zero is great. There a solid choice for that price range

I don't think @antithesis is saying it can't be done with a low power or fix power scope, but rather a higher magnification range can make it easier to see and spot both impacts and misses, and can help identify targets. I can sit down and poke a target at a thousand with a fixed 10 x, but the target will likely be hard to make out.

True but other than at 100/200yds you aren’t consistently spotting holes on paper unless you start running shoot-n-c targets. Then you’re sometimes good for a few more. ...obviously depending on your mirage that day/time, caliber, and target material/color/backdrop.

I agree that increased magnification will assist with spotting impacts, but when you start to try to do it all with a budget optic, you’re going to get mediocre results across the board. A rifle scope’s primary job isn’t to spot holes on paper though so we get spotting scopes. However what quality glass on a 10x or 12x setting will do, along with solid fundamentals, is allow for the shooter to catch trace (or even the shiny ass of his projectile if the sun’s just right) through his scope as it hits/misses the target, get a clear image of the tgt for quartering, and will overall aid with shot placement. Reliable turret tracking speaks for itself, even if you’re a holds-only kind of weirdo lol ;)

It’s all just opinion based responses here so it is what it is. I’d rather spend my money on clarity/tracking than magnification and that’s what I believe those on a budget should treat as a priority over magnification.

OP do what you will and I wish ya the best with your new rig and venture into the LR world. Take everything in but retain what works consistently.

I have the Ares ETR, an Bushnell 4.5-18 LRSTi, and the 4.5-18 LRHS. The LRSTi parallax is more forgiving than the ETR, sepecially in the humidity and mirage we have here in Kansas. I have taken all 3 scopes out to 1400 yards, but I would pick the LRSTi over the ETR for a hunting/match scope any day.

I recently picked up a GenII Razor with a 50% off cert from a match. Thanks @vortex.nick for getting it to me so fast. Looking forward to shooting a match with it.

Reactions: vortex.nick
I have the Ares ETR, an Bushnell 4.5-18 LRSTi, and the 4.5-18 LRHS. The LRSTi parallax is more forgiving than the ETR, sepecially in the humidity and mirage we have here in Kansas. I have taken all 3 scopes out to 1400 yards, but I would pick the LRSTi over the ETR for a hunting/match scope any day.

I recently picked up a GenII Razor with a 50% off cert from a match. Thanks @vortex.nick for getting it to me so fast. Looking forward to shooting a match with it.

I'm glad we were able to get it handled so quickly. I hope you enjoy your new optic!

Reactions: 260284
I would highly recommend the Bushnell LRTS line. Super clear, reliable tracking. Hard to go wrong. Also you can get the 3-12 model for basically half price at camerlandny... at least last I checked you could