• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope Recommendations for My Circumstances?

Bully

Private, in so many ways...
Minuteman
Sep 30, 2014
NJ
im currently selling some scopes that are nice but considered “mid-range” to buy one relatively high end scope.
End budget will be around 2k.
Rifle caliber is .223Rem
Use will be: The scope will spend most of its life shooting paper at 300. Once a month I plan on shooting FT/R at 600. I would like to take the rifle to 1000 on steel if I get the opportunity.
I will not hunt with the scope/rifle. This will be a paper/steel banger only and humping it around isn’t on the agenda.
This rifle will see the occasional newbie as well so something on the tougher side wouldn’t hurt.
I'm not a fan boy of anything I'm looking for the best bang for the buck and 2k is a lot for me. I know it's the starting point for some but for ME it's a bunch.
What would y’all look at?

My vote would be a Nightforce. For a $2,000 budget, the NXS 5.5-22x50mm (or 56mm). Nightforce scopes are extremely durable, have alot of internal adjustment, excellent turrets, and very respectable glass. I'm guessing you'll need alot of adjustment to get to 1000 with a .223.

I think you could buy a NF 5-25 ATACR for around $2500. Similiar to NXS, but more adjustment, more magnification range. Also bigger and heavier, but that doesn't sound like it would be a problem.

Reactions: FatBoy
I would look real hard at the Vortex Razor Gen II 3-18x with EBR2c reticle. Polite requests to vendors on the hide might get you one under two k.

Get a used NXS from the PX and save some money. Can be had for $1200-$1500 and be done. For what you are doing you will need nothing more and it will do a lot more!

Reactions: FatBoy
Add $350 to get a S&B PMII 5-25 P4L Fein. It's a little long in the tooth, but you'll be owning a classic alpha scope for a fraction of what it used to cost. I'd call that a win in my book.

Reactions: W54/XM-388
I'd consider the Athlon Cronus BTR 4.5-29x56 if you have a hankering to go for something in that mag range. It could be had for around $1600 if you watch for a sale.

I think you should spend some time in the PX section looking at optics. You can get some really good deals on various scopes. I have two 223 bolt rifles and one has a Steiner Military 4-16 and the other a Steiner MX5I 3-15 (MSR reticle) and do the job very well. You can pick up a Seiner Military for $1200-1300 and if you look hard a MX5I for around $1500. You can also get a Vortex Gen II 3-18 for around $1600 and I have two of those on 308's and they are a great optic too. The world is your oyster at your price range.

I bought my Cronus BTR here for under $1400 - if my budget was $2000 and weight wasn't an issue I'd buy another Razor 4.5-27.
the NSXs are great scopes, but second focal plain just doesn't work for me in a high power variable scope, especially one you plan to use at varying distances where you could be using different levels of zoom.

Here is one other thing you might want to think about.

Are you overly concerned about cosmetics, or do you use your rifle & scope good and hard and care less about how it looks than is it the best you can get & works perfectly? Are you stuck on new only, or is a great deal on used fine?

I would say from experience there is a large contingent of people here, especially in the buying & selling market, that are way too concerned about things being perfect beautiful little safe queens that every once in awhile get taken for a gentle outing. When they buy used items, many seem to be overly concerned about "does it look brand new".

If you want the best & plan to use your gear good and hard as a tool & don't care about cosmetics as much. You can wait and pickup some excellent deals on top notch scopes that have been well used & have cosmetic marks from use, but are still excellent and give you way better value. For example, you could probably get an S&B 5-25x56 for $2k if you wait for one that has a fair bit of use marks on it to come up. Same with just about any other brand.

What you might want to do is pick a couple scopes that you really want that are say about $500 to $600 outside your budget range new & then post a WTB ad for those scopes and state you are fine with well used ones with cosmetic marks as long as they function perfectly.

Cstactical just posted some Khales 624i demos on here for $2300 or less (can’t remember exactly). Or the Cronus that someone else mentioned would be good for that $1500 range. Otherwise a vortex razor is a great choice in any flavor.

Thanks all. I think I found what I'm looking for. I came across a NXS for ok money with rings, scope cover and shipping and insurance for several hundred less than retail. Scope is mounted but not shot.

As to the questions of cosmetics... I don't baby my stuff. Never been good at it. However on this one, I'm wanting something to look as good as my rifle and I'll bang it up. Not looking for pre-banged. Normally I wouldn't have an issue with it, just don't want it this go-round.

Thanks again.

Reactions: stwcattle
Pay attention to reticle thickness I’ve shot paper and steel at 600 with my .223 bolt. I have my gun in a Chassis so it is fairly heavy. Recoil is light and shots can be spotted through the scope fairly easily on 15x. 22x gets a little tougher because the field of view is narrower. It takes a bit more concentration.

I shoot with Nightforce NXS. I have a 3.5-15 and a 5.5-22. Either serves well at 600. I’d almost say the 22 is overkill.

Both my scopes have the NPR1 reticle, which I like very much. Very thin. I have shot with the MOAR which is thicker and did not care for it as much.

Consider the Nightforce SHV. Nightforce glass at a lesser cost if you’re not using illumination.