• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Scope Recommendations

sqwerl

Private
Minuteman
Feb 1, 2011
Alabama
Can you guys give me a good recommendation? I have a home built 6.8 16" 1:10 twist Daniel Defense barrel, 12" DD Lite rail, DD receivers, and Magpul UBR. I'm looking to do mostly paper punching with 90 grain Speer TNT from 100-300 yards rarely further. May hunt occasionally but doubt it. Will a 1-4 be more than enough? I like the mil/mil 1-4 Vortex PST but dislike the .2 mil adjustment. I was also thinking about the 2.5-10x44 Vortex PST or the new Weaver 2-10x36.

I'm trying to stay under $700-800.

Re: Scope Recommendations

The PST is just right for what you have. You won't find a better all around optic for the money. I have a PST FFP 4-16 if your interested. Comes with rings.

100 yards 4X and 16X.

25kqws7.jpg

n39lvk.jpg

I think the vortex PST 2.5-10x44 would be great for what you need, I have one on an AR that I use mostly for hunting and I like the wide field of view and light gathering on 2.5x and 500+ yds are easy on 10x for metal plates which is what I use it for.

I bit the bullet and went with the Bushnell Elite Tactical 3-12x44 G2DMR reticle. Got a good deal from Scott at Liberty Optics and I can't wait to try it out. I'll post my impressions after I get to take it out.

+1, agree.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JMT38S</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think the vortex PST 2.5-10x44 would be great for what you need, I have one on an AR that I use mostly for hunting and I like the wide field of view and light gathering on 2.5x and 500+ yds are easy on 10x for metal plates which is what I use it for. </div></div>

i run a 4 to 16 on mine... really like it.... im usually 100yards and more when target practice at 16x,,,,,, and when hunting im down to 4x.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: send-it</div><div class="ubbcode-body">100 yards 4X and 16X.

25kqws7.jpg

n39lvk.jpg
</div></div>

Look through both and see what one you like better. I went PST but when I look through some of the new weaver stuff I question my choice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rdmega</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Look through both and see what one you like better. I went PST but when I look through some of the new weaver stuff I question my choice. </div></div>

It's a done deal on the Bushnell. I've looked through a few high power PST and they looked good but I haven't had a chance to see the Weaver. Just heard good things about the glass. It's all a tradeoff.

The PST has a good reticle (better than the Weaver IMO), unlimited transferable lifetime warranty, zero stop, and good glass. Those reasons are somewhat in order for me.

The Weaver has a limited lifetime warranty to the original owner only so the day you buy it you'd better plan to keep it or the resale is shot. I've heard the glass clarity on these is very good but unless the others are cloudy I wouldn't make this my deciding factor.

I was comparing the PST 2.5-10x44, the Weaver 2-10x36 (not released yet) and the Bushnell 3-12x44 G2DMR. I was willing to pay a little more for FFP so that knocked out the PST. I could've went with the 4-16x50 but the field of view was a little less than the Bushnell (not by much) and it costs about $75 more. The Weaver isn't for sale yet so that's really an unknown at this point.

There were a few reasons I picked the Bushnell. I got the discount which brought the price of it down to about what the Weaver would be + $20-30. I get a superior reticle IMO than the Weaver or even the PST FFP and a no questions asked money back guarantee for the first year. Then after that it's limited lifetime. I get parallax adjustment, no zero stop however, and good glass (don't know how it stacks up to the PST or Weaver). I didn't consider illumination a deciding factor. Scott also told me the Bushnell are a much better scope than the Weaver.

If I were you, I wouldn't sweat buying the PST over the Weaver. I think you get more for your money and aren't stuck with it. Slightly better glass quality (maybe) of the Weaver wouldn't be a reason for me to go out and buy one.