• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Scope Snob in remission

Good recovery man!!!

It looks like a dusty place there. Maybe you hit in rocks or in a sagebrush causing a few no calls??

Were you using the 6BR this time too?

Thanks Steve. Again I suffered on LR stages...im beginning to believe **gasp** I need more prone practice lol
BUT yes 6br and I should point out that I have .5 mil more wind at 1k than my buddy shooting 6.5x47, while being over a mil flatter. Weird. I cant wait for my 105 Bergers to ship, but these little 95 grainers are pretty sweet...

Pretty much the conclusion i came to with the H59 not to mention i was a lot slower with it then a traditional tree reticle.

Curious what tree rect you like? I really like the Minox one, but no others come to mind off hand that arnt cluttered...maybe the bushnel or G2XR but I think those 2 need more detail...

Regards,
DT

Curious what tree rect you like? I really like the Minox one, but no others come to mind off hand that arnt cluttered...maybe the bushnel or G2XR but I think those 2 need more detail...

Regards,
DT

SKMR3 is my favorite that i've used even though the MR4 from Minox is basically an upgraded SKMR3 i dislike the spacing in the center going on the pictures i've seen of it. I imagine the SKMR will eventually get it's vertical 2/10th hash marks like the MR4. The SKMR3's thickness is perfect to me, not overly thin and not overly thick like the GAP milling, H59, or G2/3. The hash marks are also extremely subtle. It's weird to explain but getting behind it on a holdover stage and putting it on steel is just awesome. Doesn't obscure much of anything.

Reactions: D_TROS
Well this is turning into a, follow me as I shoot matches with the new scope, thread.

Last week on Wed, I had a friend not able to make the KS match. I couldn't pass on a free match entry sooo...

I shot the KS PRS SpearPoint Ranch match. Wow what a great field match that reminded me of PRS style matches 5+ yrs ago. What was more amazing was shooting 17 stages day 1 then only another 5 the next day. We were done with awards and on the way home after eating by 1 oclock.
This was my first 2 day match shooting a tree-oh-ate (308) ever and first shooting the 308 since Raton in 2010. Got to admit it was pretty tough dialing as much wind as elevation on a target inside of 300 yards
1f923.png
?

After a strong showing the first day, I was pretty excited to come away with a top 20 overall and top 308 in the match (oh well for my top 10 streak lol). Only being 4 pts from 12th and 6 more from a top 10, Im pretty happy with the way my baby (Kelbly smithed 308) shot. Especially considering the wind and constant rain the first day. wow-we. The rain and mud didnt slow down my gear one bit so that was a relief!

I have never shot my 308 without a suppressor and I also don't own a 308 brake so I had a friend bring one to the match. See let me borrow one of his Owens Armory Brakes as I didnt want to use a 12" 338 can on a 28" barrel. That brake shrunk my groups from 3/4" to 1/4" no joke. Also shooting over 260 rounds on the weekend, I wasnt a bit sore. I do believe Jim wont be seeing this brake again hehehe.

The best part about shooting this weekend is I knew I wouldnt have time to load, So I grabbed some ammo from The Hunting Shack (HSM Ammo). I tested both their match 155's and 178's and the 178s won out with better groups as well as single digit SD's. Im not affiliated with them...but I want to be lol. Im over reloading if this kind of accuracy can be found from factory ammo. I may take up factory ammo from here on out!!

Now, couple other things noted on the scope. I broke the crap flip covers on stage 4 of match. I wish companies wouldn't ship crap items just to fill a bill. Those flip caps are a joke.

Second, shooting a 308, Ive never had to deal with wind like this before. I usually dialed at least the wind for the first target in a string of targets, and that was usually around 1 mil and held for the rest. I never dialed less than .5 mill on a stage, with the most wind over 3 mils. I was very happy to absolutely trust the wind dialing on every stage. Oddly enough, on the very last stage was the only stage I didn't trust my wind/ele call (I thought I saw my first shot miss high left - thanks clutter rect) and after missing 8 straight times on the last stage of the match, I went back to my original hold and finished the match with 2 hits holding over at 750 yards. Ugh. Mental mistakes kill ya.

hashtag308forlife
hashtagckye-pod
hashtagmywifeismybiggestfan
(Link: https://www.hsmammunition.com/)

2018 ks prs 308 3.jpg

Regards,
DT

Nice shooting brother.. Again!!

You're on a roll...

I can usually get a few months out of the caps. They definitely aren't what you want to keep if you are serious about having nice scope caps. They are ok for going to the range and back. But they aren't for hunting or PRS.

But I can overlook that and appreciate the scope. I've never broken one of those..

Whelp another match down. The JC Steel Match in WA was phenomenal. We got to shoot out of a helicopter, moving truck, and over 250 rnds on the weekend. GREAT match if anyone every wants to go. I keep saying at each match its the best one Ive shot all year, but this one really was fantastic.

This scope is a love hate lol. Love the scope. Hate the rect. Horus allows ZERO hold under capabilities. I like holding under as much as over and there are no marks for precision above the main horizontal. It does go up to +3 mils with marks at the even 1-2-3 marks then stops. I can usually get around this but on one stage.

This stage has 2 targets, one of them hidden (bullet drops over a hill and hits IF your ref pt is legit.) My squad did the math to hold under 5.5 mils from a visible point. 5.5.....Scope goes to 3. COF is shoot target you can see, then hidden target, then repeat for 10 rnds alternating. both targets right at 500 yards and the visible one is big as a house. I finally figure out if I leave the turret at "0" I can hold over 2.5 mils for visible target, then from my reference point, it is a perfect 3 mils (top of rect) to hidden target. I was a little flustered figuring the math and hating on the rect when my turn came up. I hit the hidden target every time....I forgot to hold over for the big, large, easy, generous, titanic, full size, gimme, feel good target... Not once. Not twice. But THREE times :eek::cry:

Guess I cant blame the rect...but man I hate mental mistakes. Cost me an easy top 10. Another stage, not rect related, and first one for the second day, I dialed a mil of wind the wrong direction. Never figured it out till I was done shooting. I hate playing the "if" game, but if I took the low score in our squad on that stage, I would have been in the top 5. "If" I didn't do either mistake I would have been 3rd. Ughhghghghgh...hahah.

Cant complain with a 12th place tho out of nearly 150 shooters. Super happy for that! And I got a fantastic pair of Nikon freakin Laser Rangefinders. I cant believe the support companies put out there in theis sport. Its amazing.

IMG_9563.JPG

Regards,
DT

Attachments

• IMG_9557.JPG
    IMG_9557.JPG
    317.4 KB · Views: 62
Reactions: Bender and 5RWill
Looks like good times.

As far as the % of a top scope that the XTR is...it is pretty meaningless under ideal conditions, which is what most matches are like. As long as your example made through QC ok, you're probably going to be fine. If it got overlooked, as some in this thread have, then maybe not so fine. Now start accidentally hitting your scope on things or trying to shoot at night, and then the top scopes pay for themselves.

Not to mention, why buy a $1000 plus burris, when you can get an SHV for the same money? Horses for courses, I guess. Nothing wrong with that.

Definitely a great match! Wish I had shot better. It was my worst finish by a landslide at a national match.

I guess some of the things they say about Jewell triggers is true. It certainly is in my case. It started malfunctioning on the first day, going off after a pause of holding it completely depressed, or not going off at all. I was killing it on Long Bomb. Had two hits on the 1200+ target, then went through the malfunctions, it finally went off and I missed. Needless to say it killed my weekend :(

But it was good to see you finish well Dorgan. You're a hell of a shooter. Are you shooting Dog Valley and Mile High? Or RO'ing Mile High again this year?

That's a pretty good finish.

Which cartridge did you use this time Dorgan?

I'm not getting the holdover holdunder part of your post on that one stage, why was it you couldn't hold over for all of it? I've never done a stage like that so it's hard for me to think it through. It'd be cool for me to understand it in case I run across a stage like that.

Looks like good times.

As far as the % of a top scope that the XTR is...it is pretty meaningless under ideal conditions, which is what most matches are like. As long as your example made through QC ok, you're probably going to be fine. If it got overlooked, as some in this thread have, then maybe not so fine. Now start accidentally hitting your scope on things or trying to shoot at night, and then the top scopes pay for themselves.

Not to mention, why buy a $1000 plus burris, when you can get an SHV for the same money? Horses for courses, I guess. Nothing wrong with that.

I couldn't agree more on one aspect. The glass. Its close enough that the % it is of top tier doesn't matter in 99% of the shooting conditions. I was convinced it would eventually inhibit me substantially UNTIL last month when I shot in KS match. It literally rained pretty hard the WHOLE day. I was in the top 10 after day one in those conditions...with a 308. Sure I was on fire...but you still have to be able to see the target and your misses.

I think this 4-20 I currently have is better than any other XTR2's Ive looked through. I was initially so excited with this scope I sold my SCR one and bought another with the H59...now Im wishing I wouldn't have after this last match. The rect is leaving me grasping at times. And my new 4-20 glass isn't as nice as this one. Close but you can tell as dusk as you mentioned. Again, ive been shooting matches for 10 years, ive shot in the dark 1 time....

Now where I would not technically disagree, but as yet it hasn't bit me, is the tracking/other components department. Ite pretty obvious some have bad glass examples. BUT I have yet to read ANY post on one not tracking. Even Killswitch engage test (and the reason I went with XTR2) said it was boringly accurate and maybe the best tracker of the bunch he has tested. Ill take tracking 10/10 times over glass (ahem Athlon) all day every day...

As to the NF SHV, I think its over priced for the features, doesn't have F1 in 4-20 range, is 30mm tube, has a smaller FOV, dont like the knobs, less elevation travel, dont like the rect, the glass is a wash, and is too long. The only feature the SHV has the XTR2 doesn't is focus under 50m...Ive shot under 50m the same number of times Ive shot in the dark with this scope...ha. That 4-16 atacr on the other hand could be fun...

Definitely a great match! Wish I had shot better. It was my worst finish by a landslide at a national match.

I guess some of the things they say about Jewell triggers is true. It certainly is in my case. It started malfunctioning on the first day, going off after a pause of holding it completely depressed, or not going off at all. I was killing it on Long Bomb. Had two hits on the 1200+ target, then went through the malfunctions, it finally went off and I missed. Needless to say it killed my weekend :(

But it was good to see you finish well Dorgan. You're a hell of a shooter. Are you shooting Dog Valley and Mile High? Or RO'ing Mile High again this year?

Bro that sucks. I have had or have seen all triggers go down sans 2. TT (they new give em time lol) and Tubbs. I hope you get your shit together lol I kid. Its tough to remember to clean the trigger...but Jewels are great if you keep the dust out of them.

Will be shooting In NE Breakneck in 2 weeks and CO Telluride in a month (both 308) then some team matches in June and July, then RO'in Mile High again unless my baby arrives early...hoping he likes it in there till August lol.

That's a pretty good finish.

Which cartridge did you use this time Dorgan?

I'm not getting the holdover holdunder part of your post on that one stage, why was it you couldn't hold over for all of it? I've never done a stage like that so it's hard for me to think it through. It'd be cool for me to understand it in case I run across a stage like that.

Thanks Steve I appreciate it. As a father of 2 with a nother on the way and working construction...matches are now my practice lol That's why this thread is even a thing. Gotta keep momma happy.

I shot a straight 6BR shooting 95s over 3k (gasp don't tell the internet ninjas on that 6br thread lol) with a long barrel. Check this thread for my load workup. I was having a time finding a node it jumped at well. Settled at 0.120 jump. The vertical is redic low. And yes load is on hot side. But Im over a grain (almost 5% under max) under flat primer pressure and I did the water test with no probs. For the second match in a row I had an SD of 3.5 and then 3 for 6 shots. The problem with the 95's is Im still giving up .2-.3 tenths of wind to everyone else on the squad. Cant wait for those 105's to ship.

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...5-gr-berger-vld-jumping.6880447/#post-7031280

Now as for the stage, it was a hidden target stage. So there were 2 targets at the same distance on a steep hill at 500 yards. One above the other. You couldn't see the bottom one because the hill in front of it (at roughly 200 yds) hid it when you laid down prone. You could hit it if you aimed at the hill in front of you, and the bullet would arc over the hill, and drop down and impact. The problem was you couldn't lay down to try to find an aiming pt on hill blocking target off the clock, and if you moved when it was your turn, the aiming pt might be a miss. Since the target was hidden, if you missed, it would be impossible to make a correction for next shot. SO best option is to get a precise ref pt, like the corner of the higher target, and hold under that ref pt the distance the hidden target is below. We had a spotting scope on a tripod at the staging area so we measured the hidden target exactly 5.5 mils under the target you could see.

The normal plan is to dial the same distance for both targets, shoot the top one, aim under the top pt 5.5 mils (the center crosshair is now in a brush pile on hill pointing at hidden target) and shoot again. Easy peezy. Unless you cant hold under 5 mils because your rect only goes to 3 mils. So if I held to that plan, I would be air guessing/floating the final 2 mils. So I left my turret at 0 which meant I had to hold over 2 mils for both targets. Holding over 2 mils for the hidden target left 3 mils left for a ref pt to hold under. Lucky really and the numbers weren't exact but close enough to get hits. Essentially I was holding over 2 mils for both target as they were the same distance. Works great until you forget to hold over the 2 mil I didn't dial on the easy big huuuge target. ha

Regards,
DT

Reactions: Bender
I couldn't agree more on one aspect. The glass. Its close enough that the % it is of top tier doesn't matter in 99% of the shooting conditions. I was convinced it would eventually inhibit me substantially UNTIL last month when I shot in KS match. It literally rained pretty hard the WHOLE day. I was in the top 10 after day one in those conditions...with a 308. Sure I was on fire...but you still have to be able to see the target and your misses.

I think this 4-20 I currently have is better than any other XTR2's Ive looked through. I was initially so excited with this scope I sold my SCR one and bought another with the H59...now Im wishing I wouldn't have after this last match. The rect is leaving me grasping at times. And my new 4-20 glass isn't as nice as this one. Close but you can tell as dusk as you mentioned. Again, ive been shooting matches for 10 years, ive shot in the dark 1 time....

Now where I would not technically disagree, but as yet it hasn't bit me, is the tracking/other components department. Ite pretty obvious some have bad glass examples. BUT I have yet to read ANY post on one not tracking. Even Killswitch engage test (and the reason I went with XTR2) said it was boringly accurate and maybe the best tracker of the bunch he has tested. Ill take tracking 10/10 times over glass (ahem Athlon) all day every day...

As to the NF SHV, I think its over priced for the features, doesn't have F1 in 4-20 range, is 30mm tube, has a smaller FOV, dont like the knobs, less elevation travel, dont like the rect, the glass is a wash, and is too long. The only feature the SHV has the XTR2 doesn't is focus under 50m...Ive shot under 50m the same number of times Ive shot in the dark with this scope...ha. That 4-16 atacr on the other hand could be fun...

Bro that sucks. I have had or have seen all triggers go down sans 2. TT (they new give em time lol) and Tubbs. I hope you get your shit together lol I kid. Its tough to remember to clean the trigger...but Jewels are great if you keep the dust out of them.

Will be shooting In NE Breakneck in 2 weeks and CO Telluride in a month (both 308) then some team matches in June and July, then RO'in Mile High again unless my baby arrives early...hoping he likes it in there till August lol.

Thanks Steve I appreciate it. As a father of 2 with a nother on the way and working construction...matches are now my practice lol That's why this thread is even a thing. Gotta keep momma happy.

I shot a straight 6BR shooting 95s over 3k (gasp don't tell the internet ninjas on that 6br thread lol) with a long barrel. Check this thread for my load workup. I was having a time finding a node it jumped at well. Settled at 0.120 jump. The vertical is redic low. And yes load is on hot side. But Im over a grain (almost 5% under max) under flat primer pressure and I did the water test with no probs. For the second match in a row I had an SD of 3.5 and then 3 for 6 shots. The problem with the 95's is Im still giving up .2-.3 tenths of wind to everyone else on the squad. Cant wait for those 105's to ship.

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...5-gr-berger-vld-jumping.6880447/#post-7031280

Now as for the stage, it was a hidden target stage. So there were 2 targets at the same distance on a steep hill at 500 yards. One above the other. You couldn't see the bottom one because the hill in front of it (at roughly 200 yds) hid it when you laid down prone. You could hit it if you aimed at the hill in front of you, and the bullet would arc over the hill, and drop down and impact. The problem was you couldn't lay down to try to find an aiming pt on hill blocking target off the clock, and if you moved when it was your turn, the aiming pt might be a miss. Since the target was hidden, if you missed, it would be impossible to make a correction for next shot. SO best option is to get a precise ref pt, like the corner of the higher target, and hold under that ref pt the distance the hidden target is below. We had a spotting scope on a tripod at the staging area so we measured the hidden target exactly 5.5 mils under the target you could see.

The normal plan is to dial the same distance for both targets, shoot the top one, aim under the top pt 5.5 mils (the center crosshair is now in a brush pile on hill pointing at hidden target) and shoot again. Easy peezy. Unless you cant hold under 5 mils because your rect only goes to 3 mils. So if I held to that plan, I would be air guessing/floating the final 2 mils. So I left my turret at 0 which meant I had to hold over 2 mils for both targets. Holding over 2 mils for the hidden target left 3 mils left for a ref pt to hold under. Lucky really and the numbers weren't exact but close enough to get hits. Essentially I was holding over 2 mils for both target as they were the same distance. Works great until you forget to hold over the 2 mil I didn't dial on the easy big huuuge target. ha

Regards,
DT

what is a rect?..

Regards,
DT

Great description, I get it now, thanks.

Those mental mistakes are the killers, I'd "almost" rather shoot a match without making a mistake even though I only shot decent, vs shooting better but make some mistakes. Kinda a wash I guess but I know I feel good when I did it right, which is very rare. Ha, I hate it when the RO says "if" you are finished you may clear your rifle, lol. First thought is, alright self what did you do wrong this time, lol.

I do enjoy your post here, it's kinda like a blog.

Reactions: deersniper
That hidden target was a great stage. Though I have to admit I fudged that one a bit, like a lot of shooters.

Shooting from a tripod standing you could see the head of the "hidden" target. So you simply aimed under the head. I put in a .2 left wind and went right at it. Pulled a 9 because I chumped the trigger on the easy visible target. But a very fun stage.

The weather was so much more cooperative this year. Last years winner was like a 52% hit percentage. So lots more shots found the target this year, which is definitely more fun.

I like your style, that's a great stage and a great approach. Congrats on the strong finish, even if it wasn't another of your normal top 10's. :)

Wish I could have made that match... practically in my back yard but was back to back weekends with the Rock Lake PRS match and would not fly with the missus.

what is a rect?..

If you don't know you cant afford it...haha

, ,,,

I do enjoy your post here, it's kinda like a blog.

I don't know what a blog is...does that mean I cant afford it either?? hahaha

DT you're on video man. 5:29 ha. I kept thinking where have i seen that rifle.. Good shooting BTW.

Oh cool thanks. That's a great video. That stage was super fun. I need more practice time on a tripod. I just bought a feisol...now have to decide on a ball head. Im leaning towards RRS Leveling Base. Those things are crazy solid.

I like your style, that's a great stage and a great approach. Congrats on the strong finish, even if it wasn't another of your normal top 10's. :)

Wish I could have made that match... practically in my back yard but was back to back weekends with the Rock Lake PRS match and would not fly with the missus.

Thanks, I have hit Jakes match since 2013. One of the best youll ever go to.

Regrards,
DT

Reactions: Sheldon N
If you don't know you cant afford it...haha

Regrards,
DT

one of those, "I could tell you, but I'd hafta, you know..."

ok, I'm just going to go with it's a slang way of saying reticle. am I right?..

Last edited:
A blog is basically what you are doing, just self chronicling, but in this case not on your own webpage, like normal.

OT a bit but a friend bought a Benjamin Marauder PCP air rifle and has been practicing barricade and positional shooting in his yard on a 1/2" spinner at 25Y, so a 2 moa target. He's finishing much higher now in the PRS/NRL matches than he used to, excelling now, even cleaning stages, by turning a weakness into a strength, and claims this practice made all the difference.

See I'm blogging in your blog, lol.

Great blog posts! Enjoy reading them.
And I am a scope snob lol, can't shoot half as well as most of you guys though.

DT, how is Wyoming Long Range group on FB? I ghosted FB and I miss giving Damon w a hard time, as well as Travis.....

Good shooting! I would love an XTR II! You are proof you don’t need a $2k+ scope to be competitive.

one of those, "I could tell you, but I'd hafta, you know..."

ok, I'm just going to go with it's a slang way of saying reticle. am I right?..

Was just being a jackwagon. Yes sir Reticle. Just being lazy. ha.

DT, how is Wyoming Long Range group on FB? I ghosted FB and I miss giving Damon w a hard time, as well as Travis.....

Good shooting! I would love an XTR II! You are proof you don’t need a $2k+ scope to be competitive.

Ha! ya the WY guys are a hoot. Knuckle heads. No reason to stop giving them a hard time. lol

Well Ive shot 2 PRS matches since my last update. Both in the TAC Class.

A month ago I shot in western NE and had a heck of a time. I got a new lot of ammo from a distributer and it didn't shoot for crap. I came to the conclusion the bullets were too heave for my twist (HSM 178's - My barrel was throated for 155's but they go too fast for Tac class with a 2800 fps speed limit). Well I traded a couple hundred 178's to a friend that had 175 Nosler RDF ammo for the match I shot last weekend in Telluride CO. THat stuff shot way better but the SD was horrible.

Its time I just work up a load. I ordered 2k 168 gr Bergers. Hope they work well.

Anyway, at the NE match I had the first time I couldn't find a target. It was a beat to pieces target that was under a tree and when I went up to shoot, the sun came out and the shadow was super dark. Target literally disappeared. Im not sure I would have seen it better with a better quality scope as the shadow was dark, but no one else was unable to find the target. So 1 target out of 100 isn't bad I suppose. I placed 75th. The worst Ive ever placed in a match and happens my friend Jim smoked it with his 308 shooting 168's with a top 20 so my PRS pts were atrocious.

One thing I miss when shooting the 308 is looking for trace as firing the round. 308 has way too much recoil. With this scope on a 223 I could watch the bullet in all the way. Was super cool. My next 3 matches are going to be open in the NRL and team matches so I will be shooting the 6BR again. Cant wait!! haha. It wont be the same as a S&B glass but Im not sure yet how bad, if at all, that is hurting me. In good light like we normally shoot in, the XTR2 glass is quite impressive.

Anyway the scope is flat out tracking lights out. The last couple matches, with a 308, I finished 74th and 21st. My goal was top 20 so Im happy. In telluride on a long range stage, I missed the first three targets right then adjust then miss left, then I had first and second round hits at 1100 and 1335. So happy for that! Ha the DA was 12800 and I was still holding 3 mils of wind. Cant remember my elevation tho. Somewhere around 15 mils.

Going into the last stage of the match I was tied with my friend that ended up in 15th place. It was a prone stage with poppers from 300-1000 and I shot a 1, he shot a 7. He was 15th I was 21st. My friend said I was shooting high. The targets were skylined so I couldn't spot misses. Really frustrating ending to a great day of shooting. ha. I think my ammo heated up in the sun and the velocity sped up but I have no idea why I would be high. lame oh.

The Telluride JC Steel High COuntry steel match was really amazing tho. There were at least 10 stages where we had to compensate for high angle shooting, with the highest angle being right at 30 degrees. That was the second time in my life I have ever had to adjust for angle. Crazy fun.

Regards,
DT

Attachments

• 2018 CO 1.jpg
    2018 CO 1.jpg
    946.1 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_9741.jpg
    IMG_9741.jpg
    1,014.3 KB · Views: 63
  • 2018 CO 2.jpg
    2018 CO 2.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 61
  • 2018 CO 6.jpg
    2018 CO 6.jpg
    978.4 KB · Views: 66
what is a rect?..
I was thinking it was for "reticle" but based on DT's response I'm not sure now...

DT, a while back you mentioned getting one of GA Precisions Bushnell LRHS 4.5-18 and trying it out but I don't think I've seen any further comments, have you had a chance to compare this to your XTR II 4-20 and what are your thoughts?

Reactions: Basher
Good question. I have these 4 scopes right now..
-Steiner 3-15 (my fav compact scope) its on my 223 trainer
-Bushnell LRHS (sitting in box lol) a friend wants it for hunting. I don't have any 30mm rings ugh.
-XTR2 (on my match rifle)
-Nikon Black 1000 (going on my brothers rimfire if it don't sell)

I started a review on them, then I realized I have a day job and no time to do anything super cool.

I still need to put the LRHS in a tracking rig. I also only have compared glass in the morning looking practically into the sun. The Nikon and steiner had the least washout. The Burris the worst. But Nikon tracking has some jump while dialing and return to zero is usually .1 off. I wish I put the LRHS in the tracker but ran out of time. XTR2 tracks boringly consistent. Both LRHS and FX1000 are 30mm tube. Steiner had the best turrets. XTR2 best FOV.

scopes.PNG

Will compare them tonight at low light.

Regards,
DT

Attachments

• scopes2.jpg
    scopes2.jpg
    291.7 KB · Views: 63
  • scopes3.jpg
    scopes3.jpg
    289.1 KB · Views: 67
  • scopes4.jpg
    scopes4.jpg
    273.5 KB · Views: 62
  • scopes5.jpg
    scopes5.jpg
    277.7 KB · Views: 64
  • scopes6.jpg
    scopes6.jpg
    568.8 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
Reactions: Basher
Good question. I have these 4 scopes right now..
-Steiner 3-15 (my fav compact scope) its on my 223 trainer
-Bushnell LRHS (sitting in box lol) a friend wants it for hunting. I don't have any 30mm rings ugh.
-XTR2 (on my match rifle)
-Nikon Black 1000 (on my brothers rimfire)

I started a review on them, then I realized I have a day job and no time to do anything super cool.

I still need to put the LRHS in a tracking rig. I also only have compared glass in the morning looking practically into the sun. The Nikon and steiner had the least washout. The Burris the worst. But Nikon tracking has some jump while dialing and return to zero is usually .1 off. I wish I put the LRHS in the tracker but ran out of time. XTR2 tracks boringly consistent. Both LRHS and FX1000 are 30mm tube. Steiner had the best turrets. XTR2 best FOV.

View attachment 6910714

Will compare them tonight at low light.

Regards,
DT
Man I wanted to love those Steiner T5Xi's, had the 5-25 and the 3-15 but just couldn't get past some issues. I just bit the bullet and bought another Burris XTR II 4-20x50 with SCR reticle, I'm really hoping this one doesn't have the strange optical issues my first one had, but going off what you've said as well as Birddog, I'd like to give the XTR II another try...

I have the XTR2 4-20. For what I paid for it, I believe it's a good value. It now resides on my Vudoo Ravage. If you're on a budget it checks all the boxes. Personally I prefer better quality glass, and will pay the cost of admission for it. I would pay more for better glass if Burris decided to go that direction. I think they have a good foundation with the XTR2 to improve upon.

Reactions: Glassaholic
Been awhile since I updated. I had my third baby beginning of August and havnt shot between then and this match. Team matches are super fun and make for some interesting conversations and "fights" trying to get each other on the same target etc etc. Also a super tight match score wise. We won by 15 pts after 3 days of shooting. Yikes.

THis team match has the format - over 3 days you do 3 long courses that have 8 stages with either 6 targets or 3 targets you will shoot from 2 positions. The carbine (any cal semi auto) has to engage any 3 targets with unlimited ammo. My partner shot 223. THe precision rifle guy shoots ea target once only (or 1ea from 2 positions) so a stage clean is 9 pts. Ea 8 stage you come up on blind, have to find 6 targets (or 3 if 2 position) range them, shoot them all in under 6 min. Almost all positions required improvised shooting positions. Some targets were impossible to find. Ha. In the afternoons, there are 4 "Assault Courses" that have a 300 second time limit. These require pistol as well as our long rifles. Very fun.

2018 STEEL SAFARI 10.jpg

As usual, Competition Dynamics put on the best match of the year. Also, as usual, they are the only match of the year that have ZERO scoring issues and thats with nearly 100 competitors & 28 stages over 3 days. Hats off to Competition Dynamics. tHEY run a tight ship. Thanks again guys.

If you want to shoot a truly unique match, look up their website. Over 10 yrs experience running matches with no hiccups.
http://competition-dynamics.com/team-safari-2018/

not mentioned are 48 other teams that arnt internet commandos and they all shot great. Even a couple women shooters. GET OUT AND SHOOT!!!

As usuall thanks to MY fantastic gear that ran flawless
Kelbly's Inc. 6BR shot amazing.
Burris Optics 4-20 XTR2
Ckye-POD self explanatory
Short Action Precision sling and 2 rnd holder

Last the thanks to the sponsors that represented
the prize table. ALWAYS SUPPORT THE COMPANIES THAT SUPPORT US
-US Optics (very sweet B25 on the table)
-Nightforce
-Burris Optics
-JP Rifle
-Thunder Beast Arms Corporation
To name a few.

☝️??

Attachments

• 2018 STEEL SAFARI 3.jpg
    2018 STEEL SAFARI 3.jpg
    624.4 KB · Views: 71