• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Scope/Spotter bag or backpack

K2e2vin

Private
Minuteman
Mar 19, 2014
Not sure if this is the right place to ask but just wondering if anyone transports their glass separately from their rifles? I have two rifles that I want to transport through TSA but the case will only fit both of them if there's no scope. I have sunshades on both optics(Athlon Midas TAC and Cronus), so it's even longer. I was thinking it'd be easier to just take them off and transport them with my spotting scope....but does anyone have any suggestion on what backpack or bag works? The photography bags seem like they're either set up for a bunch of smaller lenses or one big telephoto lens. Any ideas or suggestions?

If it was me, flying with glass, I would look at a pelican case, something like this

My only grip about those cases is they aren't really designed to stack one on top of another (at least I haven't found one). I measured one of my scopes and they're about 17.5" long. The spotting scope is of course shorter but also fatter. Their cubical cases would work but there's also a lot of wasted space.

Reactions: simonp
Agreed, they dont seem to come in the "perfect size", was looking for one that would fit a carbine (seperated into lower and upper) and none quite fit it either.

you could try this

you could be your own best bag baby lol

Definitely carry on the glass. One less thing the airline can lose, crush, or steal.
You think if I put a strap on the spotting scope and wear it around my neck, I can just tell them it's a camera? lol

Reactions: Keith E.
S&B makes a pouch like scope carrier. It’s not fully enclosed, but offers some protection. Unless optics are in a Pelican case or equivalent, I would never check them on an airline. Carry on only.

Reactions: JoeM