• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes scope still not in..

Sniper260

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2013
I've had a swfa ss on order for over a month now and have no received any kind of back order update, if it was back ordered, nothing...

I called SWFA a few days ago to confirm whether or not they had the scope I was looking to purchase in stock. The guy I spoke with asked me for the product number and replied, yes, we have those in stock. I was inquiring about a SWFA 5-20x50 FFP. I would give them a call if I were you.

It would be helpful if they had some sort or status on the page as to availability, most people (myself included) just assume that if it doesn't say backordered or sold out, that it is in stock. This exact same thing happened to me, I ordered a scope from them thinking they had it in stock, called a week later as to the status on it and was told it was backordered indefinitely, they said I could change to another scope, but everything else that I liked in my price range was out of stock as well. Ended up waiting four months for the scope to get here, it actually just got here today, but I'm not complaining as I love the scope and they are the only ones who supply it.

People give others sh!t on this forum way too often and readily for rightfully complaining about the crap that vendors pull. If more people complained rather than just lived with being screwed as usual, perhaps business practices would change. I do agree that it's good form to call and see what's the matter. Communication goes a long way to clear up most problems. That being said, I have a difficult time believing that managing an inventory is so difficult with the amount of technology available. If something is listed in stock but I get some email a couple days later saying that the item is backordered and blah blah blah hopefully it will be in stock in a couple weeks, I cancel my order and go elsewhere. I give these vendors way too much money to get taken for a ride because they can't manage their inventory. [MENTION=79623]ducks-and-bucks[/MENTION], don't mind the haters; there are plenty of people here that take note of which websites pull this kind of crap on customers, and it was very bad form on the vendor to drop the ball on the customer.

Not having done business with SWFA, I have no opinion on the matter. There are, however, reliable vendors supporting this forum and others in the firearms industry who are totally reliable. I just received my perfectly-functioning Vortex Viper PST 6-24 FFP MOA/MOA a week earlier than promised and five days after ordering...with no charges for shipping.

I doubt that I'm the Lone Ranger.

FH

People give others sh!t on this forum way too often and readily for rightfully complaining about the crap that vendors pull. If more people complained rather than just lived with being screwed as usual, perhaps business practices would change. I do agree that it's good form to call and see what's the matter. Communication goes a long way to clear up most problems. That being said, I have a difficult time believing that managing an inventory is so difficult with the amount of technology available. If something is listed in stock but I get some email a couple days later saying that the item is backordered and blah blah blah hopefully it will be in stock in a couple weeks, I cancel my order and go elsewhere. I give these vendors way too much money to get taken for a ride because they can't manage their inventory. [MENTION=79623]ducks-and-bucks[/MENTION], don't mind the haters; there are plenty of people here that take note of which websites pull this kind of crap on customers, and it was very bad form on the vendor to drop the ball on the customer.

Hey High Speed,

Might want to take some time to read before you start off on your long winded rants, that amount to nothing.

MAYBE, the OP should ask the vendor where his product is. MAYBE there was a problem with the order. MAYBE the vendor is not aware there is a problem. MAYBE using your frickin brain instead of your mouth would result in a more desirable outcome.

Many of these "vendors" have full time jobs, or are 1 or 2 man shows. Not all have the scale to purchase advanced inventory management systems nor the personal to manage them.

If the OP said, I talked to the vendor and they are ignoring me/blowing me off , and TRIED to resolve the issue before coming here and wasting electrons, bitching to people who aren't even in a position to help him, The maybe he would have a valid reason to post. (actually no, he would be talking to his CC/Bank/Police).

Hey High Speed,

Might want to take some time to read before you start off on your long winded rants, that amount to nothing.

MAYBE, the OP should ask the vendor where his product is. MAYBE there was a problem with the order. MAYBE the vendor is not aware there is a problem. MAYBE using your frickin brain instead of your mouth would result in a more desirable outcome.

Many of these "vendors" have full time jobs, or are 1 or 2 man shows. Not all have the scale to purchase advanced inventory management systems nor the personal to manage them.

If the OP said, I talked to the vendor and they are ignoring me/blowing me off , and TRIED to resolve the issue before coming here and wasting electrons, bitching to people who aren't even in a position to help him, The maybe he would have a valid reason to post. (actually no, he would be talking to his CC/Bank/Police).

No reason to spray flames at me buddy. If you're fine with the treatment you get, I'm glad for you. SFWA has pulled this nonsense on me and a friend on mine too, and thanks to people like the OP, I've read it on other threads. People have a right to bitch if they aren't getting the service they expect. You should know from your dealings with defense contractors, if you don't hold them accountable (no better place than the wallet or their reputation) then they have no incentive to change.

Understood. It's unfair to flame a company on the net when there is a good chance they are unaware of the issue and don't have a chance to fix it.

If a contracter is jacking up a job or not following the contract, I don't go to PRWEB and give them a nasty rating. I contact them , let them know the issue and 99% of the time it is resolved right there. Everyone makes mistakes and most times, its simple miscommunication that can be fixed with a phone call or email.

Have had the same problem with a backordered item with them. I had to call to find that out. There was no courtesy email or notification online stating backordered status. I would say they are relatively easy to get on the phone to straighten things out.

FOr everyone blowing up here, I posted that because, yes, I have contacted them several times on the phone, and by email as well. each time I get a "I donno man". They do not show what they have in stock, or what they have out of stock. Every place online now days can accurately depict their availability. So it's BS. I have asked repeatedly for an ETA, ok, you are out of stock back ordered is this what I'm understanding?? Guy on the phone "um yeah we dont have none, I donno when they will be here"...

So yes calling them as been like talking to a brick wall. I dont seem to be the only one here that has not had a great experience. As a company, they should inform their customers about availability. What was I told by them about this? "we are the only one who makes or distributes them so thats just how it is..."

Since you finally gave a more complete report ~ may be time to change vendors? I wouldn't blame you a bit, I hope the didn't take your money yet.

The part I don't care for is how the show a item in stock on there web site so you order. A few hours later you get a email saying they are out of stock and try to get you to back order it but cant tell you when they are going to have it.
I under stand mistakes happen and inventory counts get off from time to time. However this has happened to me more than once with them and after talking to them on the phone and them being aware a item is out of stock there web site still shows the same item to be in stock days later.

They don't have a real time inventory system. Even if they mark an item as sold out as soon as they take the last one of the shelf, it could have been 3 days processing before that step is taken.

Idealy every item is given and inventory ID, and Scanned into the system when it comes it. This would update their database and as items are purchased on the website or over the phone, it debducts it from there.

A company the size of SWFA should be able to afford a modern, real time inventory system.

No doubt that a company could simply call a software vendor and get the necessary product however that costs money. In addition to the cost of the software, there is the support, training and modification of their current system in order for that new inventory system to work. What would the get out of it? How long would it take for the company to recoup the entire cost of that conversion?

Lets assume that the company can afford the change...when do they do it? People are already pissy that orders aren't being fulfilled fast enough. Would those same pissy people be ok with another month or so delay due to a software/system upgrade?

As to getting that crap attitude for first tier CS...it's not uncommon. The solution is to understand that first tier CS are there to get you to quit calling and be the front line defense for management and technical support. Do a little research and find the name of someone in management...ask for them directly. Speak to them in a professional manor and you'll likely get a solid response. It won't be one you like but it won't be a BS answer.

No doubt that a company could simply call a software vendor and get the necessary product however that costs money. In addition to the cost of the software, there is the support, training and modification of their current system in order for that new inventory system to work. What would the get out of it? How long would it take for the company to recoup the entire cost of that conversion?

Lets assume that the company can afford the change...when do they do it? People are already pissy that orders aren't being fulfilled fast enough. Would those same pissy people be ok with another month or so delay due to a software/system upgrade?

As to getting that crap attitude for first tier CS...it's not uncommon. The solution is to understand that first tier CS are there to get you to quit calling and be the front line defense for management and technical support. Do a little research and find the name of someone in management...ask for them directly. Speak to them in a professional manor and you'll likely get a solid response. It won't be one you like but it won't be a BS answer.

There is a point where doing it slow/old hurts the company. SWFA is one of if not the largest seller of optics on the internet. They are large enough, and have such an extensive inventory that this would greatly benefit them. It would reduce the ammount of CS and time spend dealing with simple problems that could be avoided. It would , if anything, increase their productivity and either reduce costs or increase profits.

I am a stickler for customer service. I don't care what company you are in, or what industry, nothing will hurt sales like poor customer service. I will go with a more expensive vender based on CS alone. The only exceptions are for small companies or people who do this shit on the side. Its understandable you are not going to get the fastest, most responsive service, but they usualy make up for it in the end.

They have lost me for as a customer until they do something to update their system. Two decent sized orders placed and all or most of the items were out of stock. Canceled both orders and went elsewhere.

Honestly I don't believe it can be that hard to update a system. When I worked in retail we made the jump to selling online. Took about two days to get everything into the system. Granted we were starting fresh but were still selling through the store. All they have to do is do the same as ever ammo company in the industry is doing and simply tell us orders may take a week or two to process. If it's not a surprise its not bad but it sucks thinking you are actually buying something to get an email a few hours later showing you most of your order is out of stock.

Sorry, but if I need to know the name of a manager to get a straight answer on the status of my order then I am taking my business elsewhere. I have neither the time nor the patience to put up with poor customer service.

Any online retailer of significant size should have a real time inventory control system that is tied to their website. If they don't then I will be taking my business elsewhere. I encountered this situation recently with Optics Planet and am not thrilled. The only reason I did not cancel the order is they were very prompt in responding to my email inquiry and I have not had any problems with my other orders to date. Also, my card has not been charged.

I have no problem placing a backorder, but I expect to know at the time I place the order that the item is not in stock. I have items on backorder that I will likely not receive for many months and in once case the date just moved out 3 months. I am OK with that. I accepted that risk when I placed the order.

I believe that some of these businesses are doing this on purpose to deceive people into placing an order thinking that goods are in stock that are not. They know that a certain percentage will put up with it and that is good for the bottom line. The worst of these are those who are charging the customers card under these circumstances. I have no tolerance for that type of behavior from a business.

Solid customer service is important to me. That is the reason that Midway USA gets most of my business. I have been amazed at their ability to keep product shipping nearly next day under the current circumstances. Whoever is in charge of their internal logistics is a real pro. I have also had good experiences with Grafs and Shooters Pro Shop.

SWFA from what other have said, is one of the largest Internet retailer so optics. A real time inventory and supply chain management system should be a no brainier. I would be willing to bet they would see significant productivity and inventory management gains. These gains are typically improvements straight to the bottom line. These types of systems often allow companies to reduce head count or more efficiently use existing employees, again improving the bottom line. Optics are relatively expensive, especially managing a warehouse full of inventory, and tracking inventory turns and managing a lean supply system could be beneficial. I don't know how this plays out with vendor supply issues and product availability. A good system would be able to tell you though. :)

Also, they could have this system in place right now just not tied to their Internet site. There could also be an information disconnect between the sales/support reps and the operations teams. All these issues can make for a frustrating information disconnect. Not setting the right expectations upfront can result in disappointed customers.

A system upgrade would not have any meaningful impact to the customer during the upgrade. The company would parallel the systems and test them frequently. When the system was determined to be ready they would do a cutover. The cutover is usually the only time service would be interrupted and could be as short as a couple of hours depending on the complexity and work required.

Unfortunately it is the market that drives these considerations.
If some vendors offer real time inventory on their web commerce sites, then eventually all other vendors must follow suit or they lose market share/competitiveness.

The consumer votes for who survives with their dollars.

Vendors that do not satisfy consumers get "voted" out of existence, as consumers with a gripe are free to air their grievances.

That's how a free market works.

Joe

I am guessing he ordered a SWFA 1-6 and yes they will not give an ETA on new orders because they are still fulfilling orders from the group buy. They don't charge until they ship. So if unsatisfied cancel your order and look for a vendor and scope that more suits your needs. No need to beat a dead horse.

OP, what did you order? If it was an SWFA 1-6.. I'd say you have about 6-8 months to wait. So my suggestion is get ready to wait or take your money elsewhere. :) SWFA no longer gives ETA on any SWFA scope... and I don't blame them... after a year of hearing a few trolls shit, i bet it got old.

I'd laugh like fuck if he just ordered a 1-6.

1) Suck it up and wait. The scopes worth it, trust me.

2) Do what I did. Find someone selling theirs.

if SWFA and their support is so fucked up, how is it they are still in business? What they have has been working for them and the only reason that there is any issue has to do with all the panic purchases going on. Had the volume not changed, these issues would be brought up.

True, vendors that do not satisfy customers eventually die off or change. However it takes a significant amount of dissatisfied customers to cause a company to go under, not the relative few that piss and moan on some website.

I have no doubt that SWFA will modify their process, though it wont be during a "crisis" time period...that's just asking for more failure.