• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Scope testing fixture...

hangunnr

Team Shutupnshoot
Minuteman
May 7, 2002
Flatlandia
Been intrigued with real world testing of the tracking of my scopes. Have seen several different fixtures used and decided I needed one......🙄.

vnuwJP.jpg

mYjhaq.jpg

Jfyou0.jpg

UJnMoq.jpg

lkB7to.jpg

The base came from an old Caldwell Rock front rest.
The top plate is a piece of 2” C channel. The angled braces are 1/8”x 1/2” mild steel. The stem is a piece of an old bent pry bar that was useless for it’s original task. The rail and bullseye level are from Amazon. Went through about a dozen of the levels before I found one that was actually true. While the level isn’t necessary for the tracking exercise it allows this thing to be used for leveling the scope in it’s rings.

The rings pictured were purchased just for use on this rig. Surprisingly they are very well made for an inexpensive Chicom product.

Went ahead and gave the base and fixture a nice coat of “hammered” rattle can paint.

I need to make up some nice bright MOA and a MIL grid boards.

While the level isn’t necessary for the tracking exercise
Ah....why is that? I mean, you don't necessarily need the fixture level but certainly do want the vertical cross hair to be perpendicular to gravity and the tracking target vertical line the same.

Is that kind of what you meant or am I missing the point (which would not be unusual).

How much does it weigh, do you think.

I borrowed a friends TargetUSA Hide fixture that he bought from someone here some years ago for $100!!!

A new one is $350 for the complete fixture and that's a bit rich for me...particularly since I can borrow @GBMaryland 's! haha.

But the weight was wonderful and I didn't have to worry about disturbing the fixture when rotating the turret.

Nice job of McGuivering one together.

Cheers

As it sits in the last picture it weighs 9#14oz. so you’d be in the 11 to 12# range with a big scope and rings on it. It sits rock solid.

I would set the grid plumb then mount the scope in the rings to match the grid. Even if the grid isn’t perfect as long as the scope cross hair matches it the tracking still should be OK.

Certainly wouldn’t hurt to have everything as level as possible.

I added the level so I could also use this to level the scope in their rings or one piece base if that is what you have. A simple plumb line is all you’d need once the base is leveled.

Last edited: