• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Scratched up brass from rifle?

FamilyMan

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 3, 2011
Utah
What amount of scarring from running your brass through a custom rifle is normal/acceptable? I had this problem when it was factory and no DBM and thought it would go away when I added a Surgeon DBM, new barrel and had the action blue printed. However it's still there, it's usually 2 lines running length wise and sometimes even from ahead of the ogive on the bullet. also its gets a couple good digs right at the rim of the shoulder and down the body. Is this normal? I'll try to get pics but have yet to get good enough lighting to really see what Ian taking about.

Re: Scratched up brass from rifle?

Maybe your chamber needs to be polished.

Probably not the chamber since the OP has a new barrel.I'd look at the feed channel at the entrance to the action on the bottom. Or at the side of the channel opening on the right where the ejector presses the round against the wall of the action. When does the scratching occur? On the feeding or the extraction? That would give a clue where to look.

Something isn't right and, as former naval person above mentioned, I'd look at feed channel.

Also, when chambering do you feel unusual resistance when opening or closing the bolt?

I have the same thing with my semi auto 308, scratches the bullet as well.

It doesn't look "pretty" but it doesn't effect accuracy.

I'll have to take a closer look at it when I get back home and I will report back.
When you say feed Channel are you referring to the the larger opening the bolt rides along directly over the magazine? Or are you referring to something father into the action closer to the feed ramp?

Sounds like the feed ramp is marking the cases and possibly the lips of the magazine? Is it leaving bullet/case material in the rifle? Try chambering a few rounds and look for material left behind. But I have to agree with Woodland-Ghost - if it isn't effecting accuracy or the chambering process..........but I can also see where you are coming from with a custom rifle.

On new ARs, I find 2 lines going down from the ogive to about halfway on the brass. This is from the feed ramp on the barrel. The first few rounds on a new mag may scrape the edge of the mag if you feed it slowly, but it is probably the feed ramp. This should eventually wear down, but I still saw it after a few hundred rounds fed.