• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Scratching my head.

Chris@InterstateGuns

Vendor
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 28, 2010
Louisiana
www.interstateguns.com
So I purchased some once fired .223 lapua brass from a fellow hide member. I resized it all with my redding type s die.

When I went to seat a 80gr berger in the case, there was no resistance and the projectile was not held in the neck.

I measured the outside diameter and compared it to some new brass and the necks measured the same on the outside. What's going on?

Re: Scratching my head.

S-type dies need a bushing in order to size the neck. The bushing is not part of the die kit, and in order to compute which bushing you need, some measurements of the bullet and case neck wall thickness are in order.

i'm resizing with 247 bushing currently. i have both a 224 and 225 in route. i was just scratching my head because it would make since that if the new and once fired measure the same outside diameter, then i should be good to go.

Id bet a 241 bushing is going to work best, a 247 bushing is the same size or even bigger as the loaded shell, how the hell is that going to work.

Better cancel the 224 and 225 unless you have a .17 cal gun, .243, 244 is what I use.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: milo-2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Better cancel the 224 and 225 unless you have a .17 cal gun, .243, 244 is what I use. </div></div>

i checked my order again and i have a 244/245 on the way i dunno where i got those other numbers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cds7221</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i measured a loaded case at 250 so i figured 247 would have been the way to go. </div></div>
Now Ill have to load up one of the lapua brass I have and see what it measures at, win brass measures .245. I dont think lapua brass is .005" thicker.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cds7221</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: milo-2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Better cancel the 224 and 225 unless you have a .17 cal gun, .243, 244 is what I use. </div></div>

i checked my order again and i have a 244/245 on the way i dunno where i got those other numbers. </div></div>

Use the .247" as a step down bushing if your barrel blows your throats out a lot, say to .250"-.255".

I've got .242", 243", 244", 245", 249" and a .250". The latter two being step down busings. .244" and .245" should suffice in most situations.

Chris