• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Screw it, Im gonna use Sierra Gamekings!

sjb269

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 11, 2010
Coyote Valley
I have shot up all my bulk 55gr FMJ and I am now sourcing projectiles for reloading my pile of .223 brass (federal). I also have 500 LC brass to play with.
The more I read, the more people would have you believe M855 is junk unless you need barrier penetration, shoot a 55 FMJ too slow and you might as well be firing a .22LR. The MK262 accuracy is good but overkill and expensive unless you have a MK 12 SPR. MK 318 looks good, but I cant find any.
Soooo, I am reloading for a 16 inch 1 in 7 chrome lined 5.56 NATO carbine. I want a good defensive round with 2-3 MOA ish accuracy out to 300-400 yards, decent penetration, and good expansion. Ill be using Varget...cause, that's all I got.
Any reason I shouldn't work a load up for the 65gr SGK as a "go to" load for my defensive carbine?

No.

But a 1000ct case of Nosler 77s is probably the same as the same quantity of 65 SGKs.

Agreed, check Shootersproshop.com for the Over-Runs or Blems for the 77's. They have great pricing on these. Btw, 24.0 grains of Varget shot great out of my 18" SPR.

Grafs has blem 77gr smks for pretty cheap as well. Ive had good luck with the hornady 55gr fmj that comes in the 6000 count box. Im able to get about 1.5-2moa accuracy out of them.

With all the choices available to the reloader, I just don't see a bulk 55gr FMJ as the best choice for a 1 in 7 twist defensive carbine round. Granted, I would not want to be hit with one. What I mean is, If I am going to go to the trouble of reloading 5.56, I want a bit more performance out of the system.

Full disclosure.... I work across the highway from Sierra so I am a prejudice about supporting my local economy. :) I buy factory seconds at the outlet. After reading about the 65gr GameKing on Predator Masters, I started loading them for my Rock River and Ruger. With Benchmark, I am getting under half inch groups from both rifles at 100yds. Coyotes really hate them, I know that. My son shot a deer with the Rock a couple years ago and the damage was pretty respectable. About a 40yd shot, blew through of course, really nice holes in and out, a blood trail my color blind a$$ could follow. Really made a mess of things inside. Only issue I could come up with is tip damage if you had a lot loaded up for "defensive" situations. That can be solved and I honestly don't know if it would be an issue anyway. I would not hesitate to try them out for sure.

MO Boy:)

The Sierra 60gr Varminter (flat base, hollow point) was my "go to" bullet for 100-300 yard Highpower in my AR for several years. Original barrel wasn't a great shooter, but that bullet was the best performer in the 9" twist Bushmaster tube.

The Sierra 60gr Varminter (flat base, hollow point) was my "go to" bullet for 100-300 yard Highpower in my AR for several years. Original barrel wasn't a great shooter, but that bullet was the best performer in the 9" twist Bushmaster tube.

My experience as well, although I don't shoot matches. Plus it's pretty cheap compared to other "accurate" bullets.

I have the same experience, those 60's sure did well with 24.5 to 25 grains of varget.

When Widener's has them, the 69 grain or 75 grain prvi partizan match bullets work well.
The 75's shoot surprisingly well from my 1-9" twist sps tact