• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Searching for a 14.5" 6.5CM barrel options

stormhammer

Private
Minuteman
Apr 26, 2023
Atlanta
Since the contract overrun LMT and KAC barrels/uppers are unobtanium, I've started to build an MRGG-A "clone" of sorts.

Short of buying a 16" barrel and having it cut down, there doesn't seem to be many options. So far all I've found are:

1. Ballistics Advantage with a 14.1" barrel ( I honestly question WHY does this specific size even exist )
  2. Deadshot with a custom order
  3. BSF makes a 14.5" ( any feedback on BSF barrels?)
  4. Rich's Precision also makes a 14.5" barrel, only I've never personally heard of them

Any feedback on options 3 and 4, and are there other manufacturers that I should consider that I had not listed/not aware of that isn't a custom made barrel?

I was gonna say just go custom. Then I read your last sentence.
I still say go custom.

Reactions: MSTN
Ballistic Advantage is never the answer. You have about a 66% chance of receiving a bad barrel and a 100% chance that you will not get them to answer a phone call or return an email. Stay far away.

I was gonna say just go custom. Then I read your last sentence.
I still say go custom.

The other option is to get a 16" and have it cut down as well ( e.g. a Criterion )

Ballistic Advantage is never the answer. You have about a 66% chance of receiving a bad barrel and a 100% chance that you will not get them to answer a phone call or return an email. Stay far away.

Ooof. Good to know. I'll scratch them off of my list.

By the time you source a 16" barrel, have it cut and threaded, and the port opened you could have X-Caliber make you a 14.5" barrel and be money ahead. They are under $350 right now.

The Criterion 16” option was chrome lined previously. It is a fantastic barrel. The current run are nitrided, but I’m sure still great and should give longer barrel life than a custom stainless offering.

Though, I do wonder about the Criterion’s gas system if you chop it to 14.5”. The 16” uses a rifle length gas system and is gassed really nicely. Very reliable too. Might need to open the gas port open a bit if you chop the barrel, and then who knows what headaches you may end up getting. An intermediate length would probably be better for 14.5”

The Criterion 16” option was chrome lined previously. It is a fantastic barrel. The current run are nitrided, but I’m sure still great and should give longer barrel life than a custom stainless offering.

Though, I do wonder about the Criterion’s gas system if you chop it to 14.5”. The 16” uses a rifle length gas system and is gassed really nicely. Very reliable too. Might need to open the gas port open a bit if you chop the barrel, and then who knows what headaches you may end up getting. An intermediate length would probably be better for 14.5”
Do you own a 16" Criterion?

Do you own a 16" Criterion?
I do.

16”, hybrid profile, chrome lined, rifle length gas.

JP full mass high pressure BCG, A5 receiver extension, H3 AR15 carbine buffer, Tubbs flat wire spring. I put on an adjustable gas block, but left it wide open. It’s reliable and shoots smooth, so I didn’t bother adjusting.

The rifle hasn’t had a single malfunction in the 400ish rounds I’ve shot so far. Mostly all factory 143gr ELD-X with some Magtech 140gr FMJ.

It won’t win any F class matches, but the Hornady factory ammo was generally 3/4-1 MOA for 10 shot groups. Most shots around 1/2 MOA, but a few would spread the groups.

I took it out to 1k (first time shooting 1k) during my first PRS match, and it reliably was hitting steel coyote targets until the wind started switching mid-course.

I do.

JP full mass high pressure BCG, A5 receiver extension, H3 AR15 carbine buffer, Tubbs flat wire spring. I put on an adjustable gas block, but left it wide open. It’s reliable and shoots smooth, so I didn’t bother adjusting.

The rifle hasn’t had a single malfunction in the 400ish rounds I’ve shot so far. Mostly all factory 143gr ELD-X with some Magtech 140gr FMJ.

It won’t win any F class matches, but the Hornady factory ammo was generally 3/4-1 MOA for 10 shot groups. Most shots around 1/2 MOA, but a few would spread the groups.

I took it out to 1k (first time shooting 1k) during my first PRS match, and it reliably was hitting steel coyote targets until the wind started switching mid-course.
Thanks for the info, super helpful.

Reactions: PappyM3
I have a bsf AR10 6.5creed barrel , but haven't had time behind it. Whatis the purpose of a 14.5 incher?

Whatis the purpose of a 14.5 incher?
The MRGG-A program is/was a SOCOM program along with their MRGG-S. The S was a 20” 6.5CM “sniper” gas gun variant. The A was the “assault” variant, also in 6.5CM.

I don’t recall the actual requirements, but the intent was for it to be maneuverable while still having a good hit percentage at distance. 14.5-16” 6.5 CM can see similar wind drifts as a 20” 7.62.

Basically, being able to use it to fight your way to an OP, overwatch etc., but then still be effective in that OP/overwatch.

Reactions: Top O' Texas
While my wife may contest the statement, I just don’t see 1.5” as a big deal. If I’m going to SBR a rifle, I’m not doing it with a 14.5. And, I don’t want to be stuck with one muzzle device, so I’m not doing a pin/weld. Why not get a 16” and call it a day?

While my wife may contest the statement, I just don’t see 1.5” as a big deal. If I’m going to SBR a rifle, I’m not doing it with a 14.5. And, I don’t want to be stuck with one muzzle device, so I’m not doing a pin/weld. Why not get a 16” and call it a day?
Lie about having 16" and say " missed it by that much";)

I’m g
I do.

Glad to hear that yours is working well. I have one that I haven’t decided what to do with yet.

Reactions: Top O' Texas