• New Site Changes

View thread We just went through a pretty major site upgrade, so if you see any issues feel free to post them here

Seating Hornady 135 atip

DEW0341

O⚡️3
PX Member
Minuteman
May 19, 2017
Kbay, HI
Do you really need the Hornady custom grade dies with the a top seating stem to “properly seat” these bullets?

Reactions: Senniy07

phlegethon

Major Hide Member
Hessian
PX Member
Minuteman
  • Nov 4, 2018
    The cost of the new stem is trivial compared to the A-tip bullets themselves, why not just get it?

XLR308

Old Salt
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Mar 22, 2018
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    All you need to do is pull the stem from your die and check the fit.
    More than likely my money is on the tip bottoming out in the stem.
    I was reluctant but knew better when I ordered a box of the 150smk and was hoping the standard stem in my Redding die would be GTG but now own the vld stem as well.

DEW0341

O⚡️3
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    May 19, 2017
    Kbay, HI
    Bec
    The cost of the new stem is trivial compared to the A-tip bullets themselves, why not just get it?
    because I don’t have Hornady comp dies, I have Redding. And Hornady website states you need to use their dies for the stem and the stem is needed in order to correct seat. So in a nut shell if I want to use a tips I have to buy their dies with their stem?

XLR308

Old Salt
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Mar 22, 2018
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Bec

because I don’t have Hornady comp dies, I have Redding. And Hornady website states you need to use their dies for the stem and the stem is needed in order to correct seat. So in a nut shell if I want to use a tips I have to buy their dies with their stem?

Since you allready own the Redding dies it couldn't hurt to reach out to them with the question.
    More than likely the vld stem would be a good match to the A-Tip and it might eliminate the need for another die floating around your bench just to match one type of bullet.

Reactions: DEW0341

Gwain

Sergeant of the Hide
    Hessian
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Apr 26, 2018
    Reno, NV
    I am using the standard stem in the Whidden dies without issue, 6 and 6.5. I would just pull the stem and check it, they are real long and depending on stem might bottom out on tip.

Last edited:

phlegethon

Major Hide Member
    Hessian
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Nov 4, 2018
    Bec

That is really a good point. I kind of wish I’d read their website so closely myself before I bought the stem, since my 6.5 dies are also Redding. I assumed the stems were interchange. Oopsie.

captainmorgan460

Private
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Dec 16, 2017
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Im using the Redding micrometer seater the VLD stem fits the 135 A tip really well. Very low runnout. Almost none, maybe 0.0005. The standard stem that comes with the die didnt fit them well. So no, get the VLD stem and youll be good.

michiman

Private
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Aug 14, 2017
    Im using the Redding micrometer seater the VLD stem fits the 135 A tip really well. Very low runnout. Almost none, maybe 0.0005. The standard stem that comes with the die didnt fit them well. So no, get the VLD stem and youll be good.

Sorry if this is a stupid question but how do you determine whether they fit well or not. I also have the Redding competition dies and haven’t noticed any problems with the 147 eld-m

captainmorgan460

Private
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Dec 16, 2017
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Initial test for me is nothing scientific. Take the stem out of the die, put a bullet into it, see how much movement there is side to side. Rinse and repeat with a couple different makes/models of bullets and youll feel a difference. Also can check a circular mark on the top part of the bullet after loading. Relative to neck tension but usually means the stem is contacting the ogive mostly or competely with the outer rim of the stem, not the bearing surface. Measuring with a concentricity gauge after loading would give you a more quantitative answer. How much all that matters is still up for debate.

Bantam1

Private
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Nov 18, 2008
    USA
    I'm running the Redding with the VLD stem. I have no issues with the 135 A-tip. I did chuck up on bullet in the drill and used a little polish compound to clean the edge. I was seeing a slight ring on them but not on the 140 ELDM. That took care of the ring issue. It seemed to have a slight sharp edge. I have virtually no runout either.

NamibHunter

Desert hunter
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Dec 26, 2018
    Might be of interest:

Tray 1, measured as it was packed:

4B205586-5407-4B0C-8D6F-889FFD00F0C1.jpeg

Tray 2:

C3BDB8E4-60A9-4ED1-8EF1-1BED275D41FF.jpeg

Tray 2, assuming bullets are packed in rows of 5, left to right, total of 10 rows per tray.

1A94758F-C24A-421E-A360-B494CF0771FF.jpeg

Weight is pretty consistent. Combined data set (100 bullets) have ES of 0.40 gn and SD of 0.07 gn. Good SD but less than ideal ES makes it worth sorting them, i think.

Last edited:

NamibHunter

Desert hunter
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Dec 26, 2018
    Rushed to the range after work, and could only shoot 4 “groups” with the 135 Atips (weight sorted) before the range closed. Results were frankly astonishing. Just doing a rough ladder/pressure test in increments of 0.3 gn of RL-16 at book COAL to see where the ES is low and the MV curve is flat, using two rounds per powder charge. The “group” size measurement was a bonus and these results may not repeat in future:

79161F81-3570-4A3F-95E8-74CCD403E2FB.jpeg

One “group” was 0.4” (not shown) with an ES of 56 fps.... me thinks me did not trickle it up. User error, as the tech support guy would say.

I realize that two shot groups are meaningless, so will repeat for a narrow range where the speed curve goes flat. Hope to find a nice wide node slightly over 2800 fps. Not chasing high speed.

Will complete tomorrow, MV is still slow, and of course zero pressure signs so far.

What speed are you guys getting?

BTW : The back of the target shows the two shot ovals better:

DAEA4916-2106-4BFD-A631-B8F9F1E29728.jpeg

Interesting to see the orientation of the oval change with powder charge. Sometimes you see a trend there during load development. [Btw: Tuner was not adjusted yet. Might not be needed this time. Same setting as i got with 144 Bergers.]

Last edited:

Brettmparker1

I didn’t do it!
    Minuteman
    Apr 26, 2019
    Im about to load some with some sta ball to see what happens. I can't get my hands on any rl 16.
    how far are you guys jumping them. I measured and at mag length ill be at .110 thou.

NamibHunter

Desert hunter
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Dec 26, 2018
    Im about to load some with some sta ball to see what happens. I can't get my hands on any rl 16.
    how far are you guys jumping them. I measured and at mag length ill be at .110 thou.

I managed to develop two 135 Atip loads that worked well: One with a small jump with a COAL of 2.950” that is strictly single feed, so way longer than the AW mag i use.

The second load is almost as accurate with a very long jump, and a COAL of 2.810 which fits in my magazine. [Don’t have my notebook close by, so can’t check exact numbers.]

Don’t be scared of jumping these bullets, they still shoot well with massive jump.

I know people hate weight sorting bullets, same for me. So just saying: Best group size for me prior to weight sorting was around 0.35”. Post weight sorting it was at about 0.1” to 0.15. At least on that particular day. [Maybe i had a less than perfect batch of bullets that benefited from sorting. Maybe your batch is better.]

And i have to add: I have no guarantees that my 0.15” groups will repeat. Have not been able to get more of these bullets because of the shortage. Might have been a fluke, but i hope not!]

Last edited:
    Reactions: Brettmparker1

Brettmparker1

I didn’t do it!
    Minuteman
    Apr 26, 2019
    Th
    I managed to develop two loads that worked well: One with a small jump measuring around 2.950” that is strictly single feed, as it is way longer than the AW mag i use. The second load is almost as accurate with a very long jump, and a COAL of 2.810 which fits in my magazine. [Don’t have my notebook close by, so can’t check exact numbers.]

Don’t be scared of jumping these bullets, they still shoot well with massive jump.

I know people hate weight sorting bullets, same for me. Best group size prior to weight sorting was around 0.35”. Post weight sorting it was at or below 0.1”. At least on that particular day. Maybe i had a less than perfect batch. [No guarantees that the 0.1” groups will repeat. Have not been able to get more of these bullets because of the shortage.]
    Thanks I’m trying to get some rl 16 but I’m going to try sta ball to see if it will be a good alternative.

Reactions: NamibHunter

davsco

Private
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Jan 1, 2014
    NoVa
    This is 41.5 grains of H4350, with the 135 A-Tip seated 2.171 at the ogive, using the Redding competition seating die with standard stem.

5 rounds at 100
    need to work on your breathing a little... {insert serious sarcasm pic here}

what's your OAL?

davsco

Private
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Jan 1, 2014
    NoVa
    couple things:
    brownells and midsouth both have 135 and 153 a-tips in stock.

factory hornady 6.5 prc eldx just BARELY fits in my 300wsm accurate mag. longest round in the box measured is 2.947 (shortest 2.940).

Reactions: NamibHunter