• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Second Time Shooting Savage FT/R

Jezzro2004

Private
Minuteman
Aug 19, 2011
www.savageftrreview.webs.com
Well I Shot this 4 shot group @ 100 yards with some left over bullets I had. I seen a post somewhere online that some had good luck shooting 100 yard groups with amax bullets with 43.5 gr varget so I give it a try and the moly coated done the best and only had had 4 of them, I shot this 4 shot group with Lapua Brass, 168gr AMAX Moly, 43.5 Varget, Win Mag Primers, bullet ogive-2.250, these 4 bullets, had run out less than .003 on the sin-clair run-out gauge. pretty good group to not have played with powder or bullet seat depth yet! copper fouling was minimal as well as powder fouling, compared to the 175 gr smk I shot in it during break-in. Cant wait to get more bullets to experiment with! Wish now I would have chronoed this group was too lazy though and had alot to do,lol. next time I will though. The AMAXs definatley outdone the 175 smk at 100 yards. I wish amax done better than what they do at 600+ yards...

4%20shots%20168%20amax%2043.5%20varget%20win%20mag%20primer%20lapua%20brass.jpg

Re: Second Time Shooting Savage FT/R

Only thing that has me worried now is my scope is bottomed out with 20 moa rail at 100 yards I plan to use 155 gr for long range so I am afraid ill be zeroing at a further distance than 100 yards.

Re: Second Time Shooting Savage FT/R

No, use a hold-under.

Ideally, the rail is not simply mounted and the resulting slope correction passively accepted.

Ideally, it is then adjusted with shims to allow a 100yd zero with about 5 clicks above bottom-out. The scopes may be cheap, but their real value is the 75+MOA adjustment limits that they can provide.

Then it's bedded to the receiver with that shim value. This allows the maximum <span style="font-style: italic">practical</span> amount of useable elvation adjustment.

My cheapo Tasco scopes get about 65-70 MOA of useable elevation this way. That's about twice the elevation my .260 needs to reach 1000yd; so my 1000yd xero is at mid adjustment range, where windage adjustment has the least mechanical restriction, but at the distance where it's needed most, too.

A little bit of shrewd extra consideration in advance can have a decent payoff, and a little extra work permits the more ideal solution.

Greg