• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Seeking opinions on barrel length for next build.

Jory45acp

4 Tours Green Beret Keyboard Speshuel Forces.
Minuteman
Mar 10, 2018
Utah
I'm looking for the community to share their opinions for or against a certain barrel length or offer alternative option with reasons why. I have recently completed a 8.5" .300 AAC build for a truck gun. I also have built a 18" 3 gun rifle. Both run great, now I'm looking for the next build something that will be used 0 - 300 yards with 90% of shooting 100 yards or less. I was originally thinking of an 11.5" but now I'm wonder if 14.5" might be an option. I am hoping to keep weight down but not to the extreme of all lithium/titanium/ magnesium part build just reasonably light. I'm wondering if any built one of the lengths mentioned and then thought the other would have been a better choice. I will not go under 11.5" for the build of this rifle. Thanks in advance for any advice or experiences to help me make the right choice. If it matters I'm 6'2 bigger guy with long arms so my thought for 14.5" pro was more comfortable posture versus the choked up posture of shooting my .300AAC.

No better reason to buy/build another gun than "I want another gun." Both of the rifles you've already got will fill the role you described. If it's just an itch for something new I'd say go with a 13" barrel and name her Lucky.

Reactions: longshot2000
Geez. I work a lot in the under 15" AR barrels and the over 18" AR and .308 systems. First, I agree that under 11.5" is not worth it, unless you are building a Mk18 clone. 11.5" works great with carbine gas system, and 14.5" pushes the carbine system, and does a little better with mid-length.

As a builder, the barrel and the scope are the keys to the rifle. So, putting the glass down for a minute, get the barrel right. I have a preference for a heavy barrel at 11.5", but you said lightweight. At 6'2", you will have no problem with a heavy barrel, but let's look at the how and whys. I gravitate to tactical, military and knock the doors down rifles at that size. If that is you, you might rethink the architecture. If it is not, then go with the thin barrel. The Colt LE6933 "Commando" is a nice start to the gun, or something similiar. Colt and Daniel Defense barrels are about the best in this length. As you get to 16" and more, then you can debate and compare precision match barrels, and there a lot of great names. 14.5" and under, stick to Colt and DD, and chrome lined 4140/4150 steel. The thick barrels are more accurate, and you can watch videos that show the Gov't profile barrels dancing like a whip in harmonics as the trigger is fired. But, if you are not into rapid fire, all in all, the thin barrel will work.

now to the rest of the gun. decide on FSB or under the rail low-profile gas block, and pick your handguard or rail. Here is where you can experiment with titanium or colors and what have you. There are a number of newer names that are doing really cool stuff. For me, I would add a Geissele MLOK rail and be happy, but here is where you can let lose.

If you ever get to scopes, I would recommend Aimpoint and perhaps Trijicon.

Have fun.