• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Self built chassis is done!

257speed

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 2, 2007
Alb, New Mexico
Some of you saw my original post on this
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...075#Post1548075

I finally got everything back from being hard anodized. Laid up the carbon fiber for my cheekpiece and duracoated everything flat dark earth. Here are the pic's. The stock wound up weighing 4.4lbs complete.
rifle002.jpg

rifle004.jpg

rifle003.jpg

rifle005.jpg

rifle007.jpg

rifle006.jpg

Re: Self built chassis is done!

Very cool! If you were to curve up that trigger guard a bit rather than it being so squared off, it would look 100% better.

I like the use of the CF. Very neat.

There was really no way to change the trigger guard much, the rear is square and the front wound up that way because the mag release is inside. Plus, gimme a break, I did this all on a manual mill hahahah

thats pretty amazing what one person can do on a manual mill. looks great! want to make another one? lol

Thanks for the words. This was a fun project and I will probably do it again for my 338 Lapua I am going to start next.

Very nice work. I've always wanted to do machinery work. Taking a raw piece of material and making into an actual working part. How many hours do you have in the machining process?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GlockandRoll</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any plans to sell this, or make more for others? </div></div>

Doing these on a manual machine is definitely not a profitable thing. I am in the process of working with a machine shop to see if this is feasable. I would only consider it if I could get them done and sell them at a price in the $700 range.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mike22</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> How many hours do you have in the machining process? </div></div> probably over 30 hours

Where did you get your carbon fiber from? did you actually make the shapes for the carbon fiber like say laying something out of fiberglass? or did you have a local shop do the work for you? If you did do the carbon fiber on your own, did you use your oven for the curing process or did you use a kiln? Sorry if I've asked too many questions, just curious as to what it would take to do something similar for a project gun of my own.

I purchased the carbon fiber tube for the forend on ebay. The cheekpiece I layed up myself. Carbon fiber is just like working with fiberglass cloth. I used a 2x4, shaped the top for the curve/shape I wanted and then covered it with foil tape, then waxed it. I layed the layers and wet them on a flat surface, then layed them over my mold and rolled them out a little. It was then placed into a bag, sealed, and we pulled a vacuum on it and left it to cure overnight at room temp. We could have thrown it in an oven and cured it in about an hour, but I was not in a hurry. Carbon fiber is fun to work with and really requires very little in the way of equipment. You dont need an oven to cure parts, it just takes a little longer to cure at room temp.

Seriously man, you should make these.... go into business for yourself, I'd buy one for a remmy long-action.

That is fantastic! Program that into a CNC machine and watch the money pour into your account!

I have a buddy that sells CNC computer software, that has contacts at just about every major machine shop in the area. If you want, I can put you in-touch with them. They could look at the CAD files, or digitize the stock you have and make it a CAD file and get you a quote for manufacturing them!

257speed, you better take them up on the offer, that is a nice stock, run with it while you can.

the most expensive part of making them is the R+D / setup, and since it looks as if that is already taken care of, the rest shouldn't be too hard or expensive to make.

start figuring out the cost of materials, machining costs, possibly a website to promote them (go daddy is cheap) and you are on your way.

Actually, I can help you with the IT stuff, I'm a systems engineer.
I recomend 1and1.com hosting (cheaper) and google apps for web/email (free).

If you want to chat about this, PM me for my email and I can put you intouch with some machine shops to get some qoutes.

That is a nice looking chasis. Good work. You have more patience than I do.

rounding off trigger guard would be nicer. also I'd make provisions for the ergo palm-rest grip to fit with the magpul prs stock. I think that'd be awesome. Give the remington msr a run for its money.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dsparil</div><div class="ubbcode-body">rounding off trigger guard would be nicer. also I'd make provisions for the ergo palm-rest grip to fit with the magpul prs stock. I think that'd be awesome. Give the remington msr a run for its money. </div></div>

That sounds great....but wasn't what I wanted to do when I set out on this project. As far as rounding the trigger guard, it made no sense to, since the grip and mag release dictate the shape. Having the mag release inside the guard was more important to me then the shape of the guard

I like it just the way it is.
Seriously, I hope you are going to have these things made, I'll pre-order one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gunswanted</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This thing is real nice. I really like the finished product.</div></div>

+1

Your stock is a awesome example of American ingenuity and craftsmanship. I really like it and I hope you go ahead and start producing some for the rest of us. If I were to add one suggestion to what you have, it would be to give the rear of the stock some kind of foot for a rear bag or maybe a built in Mono Pod. It's great the way it is, but just offering a suggestion. Good Luck!

Your muzzle brake is sweet also. Please quit covering it up!

I am thinking you should sell it to me since you probably have a new design you want to build!!
wink.gif

You've got a true talent you should be proud. It's always different when you make something yourself. Good Job!

The stock looks great bro. Really nice work, especially using a manually operated mill. I've done a bit of that myself and I know how frustrating it can be.

I really like the location of the mag release. I also like the layout of the folding stock. I assume it's completely rigid once it's locked into place?

Props on a good job well done!

Man, that is just awesome! Some seriously cool beans would be to get it into production. My hats of to you!