• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

self winding tactical watches.... suggestions please

My current watch is a casio gshock mtg 900. I wear it all of the time.
20200724_193336.jpg

The ONLY watch I would consider replacing it with is the gshock mudmaster gwg1000 or if it gets updated.
GWG1000-1A3_hd.png

Solar, atomic radio sync time keeping, crystal recessed close to 0.100in, 20bar, stopwatch (same as what I have now). Altimeter, barometer, compass, thermometer, sapphire crystal (mudmaster only).

Mudmaster is only $800.

Why would I want a fancy automatic watch that I would bust the crystal in no time for alot more money? I work as an aerospace machinist and I never take my watch off. My cutting fluid is oil and sometimes my watch get dunked in solvent 142 (fancy mineral spirits).

As has been said in past thread's.
Daily HARDCORE watch is G SHOCK
Nice and shiny stay in the drawer unless its date night.

Yes thats weld splatter melted in. Still waterproof. Still correct function and time after electrical shocks, extreme heat and cold, chemicals, impacts more than most hammers survive.
I think this one is 6 yrs old of daily abuse

I had a Seiko self winding watch when I was young, never figured out how it gained time!

you may wind up selling those two Rolex's for supplies and ammo... what would be best then for a reliable time piece is the consideration... the only reason I am holding the Submariner..

you may wind up selling those two Rolex's for supplies and ammo... what would be best then for a reliable time piece is the consideration... the only reason I am holding the Submariner..

LOL.

If the world is enough of a shitshow that I need to sell them for "Supplies and Ammo" the ammo I have will be used to get supplies and ammo. . . . I've played this "End of the world" shit for 20 years and it's not any closer. I'm just going to roll with it.

Then again, once we get to social anarchy won’t we simply operate off daylight, stars, moon etc?

.....if it gets to the point that we are bartering for supplies and ammo....luxury items are going to be worthless, i dont care about a Rolex if society has collapsed enough that i am bartering for basic necessities.

a can of beans and toothpaste will be worth more than a rolex in that scenario.

Reactions: Nik H
I love my sangin instruments. some would say im just a fan boy. i dont care. I still love it. and you can find them for semi ridiculous prices on ebay if you want one.

Yeah, a Sangin Dark Merlin would fit the OP's needs. 6mins of sun to run the watch for 6 months...

Reactions: whisper35
Hamilton self wind. I wore a Hamilton in VN for a year, good watch. Now, I have an aluminum model and have worn it for 2 years. Hasn't had an issue with 300 Win Mag nor 308 ARs. Bought at JOMASHOP - good prices.
H80405865.png

I bought a G Shock solar charging watch for 69$ at Walmart 18 years ago , I’m on my 3rd plastic band and that’s all I’ve done to it .
It’s the only watch I’ll own now . I bought a back up off eBay for 36$ . Never wore it yet .
I wore it in dozens of wet high heat environments as a career firefighter.
I never need to set it or adjust it , it’s atomic and solar .

Attachments

• 7D6C3553-7DA1-4B2D-B04D-E5A26FBE3A99.jpeg
    7D6C3553-7DA1-4B2D-B04D-E5A26FBE3A99.jpeg
    357.9 KB · Views: 53
Reactions: EternalNoob
looking for a wrist chronometer that is self winding... tactical in hardness and durability... perhaps some field operators here can suggest choices...
Cheap $15 Timex. Buy a few, because, you’ll lose some operating at Starbucks, maybe even on the exfil.

• Love
Reactions: EternalNoob
G shock Rangeman, or a self-winding Sony dive watch. Personally I'd go with the Rangeman; more accurate, solar powered so no battery. I have a Sony Orange Monster and while it's a fantastic watch, mechanicals will lose lots of time compared to Quartze. Plus it's extremely bulky and heavy. I love it, but I don't wear it.

One day I'll get a Rangeman maybe. In the meantime I have a red cased G shock, battery powered, waterproof, moon phase display, world time, and even a tide phase display you can set for where you're uh..going in the tide :)

The only watch I’ve ever seen or heard about that may have tactical value was the watch my godfather wore which was a gold Rolex. Not so much for the time it kept or even for the looks. But as a world traveler he considered it his get out trouble / get out of Africa bartering piece. I don’t think he ever had to use it but I liked the reasoning.

Also nice Sea Dwellers guys. 4K ceramic is going to be a collectors dream and the new SD43 is a beautiful watch too.

As said already the solar gshock in whatever flavor is probably the right answer. The Seiko Divers are the answer if it has to be automatic and cheap.

Reactions: BLKWLFK9
OP,
As stated above the Marathon GSAR is what you seek. It actually has a history of being issued to different military units. It’s insanely robust, uses tritium for its nighttime visibility, and because it’s a dive watch it’ll do just fine in tough conditions. I’m actually shocked this wasn’t among the first suggestions. Little above your range but not far. Used you can proba

Barring this, any automatic dive watch is going to fit the bill well. Sinn watches are awesome. That U1 above is made from submarine steal. More than double your range though. Good luck!

Reactions: BLKWLFK9
I've been switching between a Hamilton Mechanical Field Watch and a cheap G-Shock for years. No complaints.
The Sinn U1's have really caught my eye, but one of my grail watches is something from Resco Instruments. When I'm ready to drop over $1k on a time piece, it will mist likely be on a Resco Patriot.

I have a tag Carrera...not really tactical but fantastic watch...i'm actually wanting to sell it bc I never wear it...any interest, please PM me for pics and price.

Must be a Seiko thing. I’m wearing a Seiko 5 that gains 4 minutes every day...
That's a LOT.

To be sure, download WatchCheck app and test it.

Also, 4mins being ALOT, take it to a watch guy and have them regulate it.... it could be "Magnetized". I had a watch that was tracking 22s/day and we demagnetized it and it was at 6s/day.

That's a LOT.

To be sure, download WatchCheck app and test it.

Also, 4mins being ALOT, take it to a watch guy and have them regulate it.... it could be "Magnetized". I had a watch that was tracking 22s/day and we demagnetized it and it was at 6s/day.

I had an old soviet manual watch and every time you went through one of those "Inventory control" sensors at the store it would start speeding up till it got demagnetized.

My Rescos (Gen 1 Patriot and Hooper) lose about 1-2 secs a day. Admittedly, the Gen 1 Patriot just had the movement replaced (it died), but that was after almost 7 years of abuse. And the repair cost was not a lot (no where near what I expected).

Reactions: Bakwa
I fell down the automatic watch rabbit hole a few years back, so here's my take:

Rolex and their sister brand Tudor make solid watches. But you are paying for the name in a big way. As mentioned earlier in the thread, a Rolex is currency. Anywhere.

To tacticool it up, you could go with something like Blaken ( https://www.blaken.com/en/home ) that pimps up Rollies in black PVD. NO idea about them, there are a few shops doing that kind of thing.

Personally, I love the Tudor Pelagos. Titanium automatic. If they made a GMT I would be all over it.

Sinn as mentioned previously are phenominal tool watches. Not at all flashy and built like tanks.

At the complete other end of the price spectrum, have a look at Steinhart watches ( https://www.steinhartwatches.de/en/ ). They use good movements and make solid watches for the money. They offer some black models and a very nice titanium GMT ( https://www.steinhartwatches.de/en/premium-line/ocean-titanium-500-gmt-premium.html ) that I may just break down and buy one day.

Reactions: simonp and skatz11
Must be a Seiko thing. I’m wearing a Seiko 5 that gains 4 minutes every day...

Send it to my seiko dude. Get the NH36 movement installed, along with any other cosmetic changes you might want to do. The movement is cheap but its far superior to the factory movement. It has hacking and winding too. Ive had him mod a seiko skx013 for me, and i just bought a modded 007 with a 40mm case from him. The NH36 movement will fix any of that shit. He timed my 013 at +2 sec. per day, which is good for a automatic watch.

Reactions: W54/XM-388
Hit me up in the PM's for his info.

I bought a G Shock solar charging watch for 69$ at Walmart 18 years ago , I’m on my 3rd plastic band and that’s all I’ve done to it .
It’s the only watch I’ll own now . I bought a back up off eBay for 36$ . Never wore it yet .
I wore it in dozens of wet high heat environments as a career firefighter.
I never need to set it or adjust it , it’s atomic and solar .
G-shocks really do earn their bulletproof reputation.
IMG_20200828_101415_4.jpg

this little fucker rides shotgun on my dive equipment.....this thing has seen constant repeated exposure to 140' of salt water with little more than an occasional rinsing off. has been bashed on rocks and tanks......and it just keeps on taking it.

$45 at walmart......you dont need an expensive watch to get a durable watch.

I've worn a Marathon GSAR auto everyday for 5 years, super robust. I've fired over 70,000 pistol rds with the watch on with no ill effect. For about a G its the best bang for the buck in the auto timepiece world.

Here’s an old submariner. I know I’m not answering the op’s question, but y’all are showing off, and I want to as well! This watch probably has 5or600 dives on it, the wristband is worn slap out, it loses time every month, but I wouldn’t trade it for the world. It’s literally been around the world. It dove the Persian Gulf in ’87, and that’s all in gonna say about that.
1E507BC7-4256-4774-9D27-A420353F83F8.jpeg

Lots and lots of options based on features and price.

For clarification, wouldn't call it "tactical" per se; the horology crowd applicably name it "tool" watches.

Not infer that you're a tool to wear one, although we all know they are out there!

For 3'o-clock crowns, there are a TON of options; Rolly, James Bond's choice, IWC, Seiko, Marathon, TAG, Oris, Tissot, Tudor, Ball et al come to mind.

My current fancy is 2' oclock and 4' oclock crowns; Sinn, Bremont are my choices.

Not to mention a whole host of other small name boutique-ish names.

That being said, for a winder that will take a beating among beating and you wont cry too much, Marathon.