• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

self winding tactical watches.... suggestions please

My daily wear watch has been a Luminox for the last ~8 years. The problem I have with it is that it seems the seals go bad and moisture gets on the inside of the case, letting it fog up when going from temperature extremes (South MS/LA and Middle East). Plus, the crystal is a regular mineral crystal and is easily scratched/damaged. I'm usually sending it in for a repair every 2 years for new seals and battery. I love how light-weight it is, the simple face and the tritium tubes. And, it keeps accurate time between battery replacements.

My daily wear watch has been a Luminox for the last ~8 years. The problem I have with it is that it seems the seals go bad and moisture gets on the inside of the case, letting it fog up when going from temperature extremes (South MS/LA and Middle East). Plus, the crystal is a regular mineral crystal and is easily scratched/damaged. I'm usually sending it in for a repair every 2 years for new seals and battery. I love how light-weight it is, the simple face and the tritium tubes. And, it keeps accurate time between battery replacements.
Try a Sangin Dark Merlin. Sapphire face, solar powered movement, smaller face, and lightweight. Excellent lume.

Reactions: Chief_Rick
Buy a Marathon with either an ETA 2824-"X" or a Sellita S-200 movement. Actually any watch rated to 200 Meters and ISO 6524 certified with those movements. Look for the word "Diver" on the dial. Both movements are auto winders and reliable. They won't be Rolex, but then you won't pay Rolex prices and get hooked into Rolex service costs either.

RMD

Reactions: OutThere
Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.........

Meaning sometimes "tighten them" means just that and there's no real need to get more complicated.
Buy a Marathon with either an ETA 2824-"X" or a Sellita S-200 movement. Actually any watch rated to 200 Meters and ISO 6524 certified with those movements. Look for the word "Diver" on the dial. Both movements are auto winders and reliable. They won't be Rolex, but then you won't pay Rolex prices and get hooked into Rolex service costs either.

RMD
I have a pile of watches-mechanical, solar, and quartz.
Marathon is excellent. So is Victorinox. Either won't break the bank.

Just be careful of magnetization, the enemy of mechanical watches.

If I had to pick my most bullet-proof watch, I would choose my solar-powered G-Shock.

Reactions: BLKWLFK9
Breitling Emergency for when you aren’t tacticool enough and the mission fails.

Needs a picatinny rail
Ugh, soooo 2005. We’re on to dovetail mounts, specifically the RRS dovetail. But, you’re right, needs a mounting solution.
Black or FDE
Molle Compatible
Accepts glock AND colt stick mags
RRS dovetail mount

I have a pile of watches-mechanical, solar, and quartz.
Marathon is excellent. So is Victorinox. Either won't break the bank.

Just be careful of magnetization, the enemy of mechanical watches.

If I had to pick my most bullet-proof watch, I would choose my solar-powered G-Shock.
I worry about magnetization as I sometimes work around high-power electrical cables/equipment.

I can't wear fancy watches with Bluetooth capability.

I have a Victorinox INOX. Good looking watch and keeps time as long as the battery is good. Had to replace the first battery after less than two years.

Really looking at the Marathon automatics. I just want a tough watch that keeps accurate time, not an investment.

The Marathon TSAR is an excellent battery powered watch. The battery lasted me in excess of three years. I find that battery powered quartz watches in the same pricing category are usually more accurate for me than mechanical and/or self winding watches. Marathon offers all three types and are excellent time pieces that are built like tanks.

Reactions: skatz11 and simonp
If OP is willing to go quartz the Sinn UX is bullet proof, the battery lasts 7 years - mine lasted 10!

Or for less there are Seiko Tunas, also pretty indestructible with 5 year batteries

Reactions: Bakwa
Damasko, Sinn, Archimede, etc. This is a rabbit hole deeper than Precision Rifles! Beware.
The man knows his watches.:) I own a Damasko DC56 (actually no. 0031). Other than on obscure watch forums, I've never heard anyone ever mention this brand, much less seen one in the wild. I've had mine for years, gone through 4 straps, and the watch still looks like it did the day I bought it.

OP - If you can find it the Seiko Black Monster or Orange Monster would fit the bill. Not sure what they're going for now ( I suspect they've been long discontinued). I paid a couple of hundred dollars. The watch is mechanical, very rugged and durable, well made and water proof. Does it have the fit and finish or accuracy of a Rolex? No. But it's about 1/10th the price.

I wore a Seiko Diver watch during my SF career. Jumped out of airplanes and swam through ice water. This is the new version.
1599620225422.png

The Seiko SKX007 at a glance
The Seiko SKX007K is a very well built automatic watch.

• Stainless Steel Case

• Crystal watch face with Luminescent markers

• ISO 6425 Rated - Water resistant to 200 meters

• Automatic movement - no battery, never needs winding

• 22mm lug width - easy to change bands
I also wore a Seiko turtle but you don't want batteries...which I think is a mistake.
belgium balloon jump.jpeg

I also wore a Seiko turtle but you don't want batteries...which I think is a mistake.
May I ask your reasoning?

I'm not against batteries/quartz - but the two watches I have I've needed to replace the batteries every two years. I don't trust the local "jewelry stores" to replace batteries any more so that means shipping the watch off. I'm also not too concerned with EMP - if that happens I figure there'll be bigger things to worry about.

I don't want a dive computer, compass, thermometer, barometer, altimeter, step counter...

Accurate time, waterproof, sapphire crystal, analog dial with sweep second hand and date.

If my Luminox would keep the moisture out I'd be happy.

May I ask your reasoning?

I'm not against batteries/quartz - but the two watches I have I've needed to replace the batteries every two years. I don't trust the local "jewelry stores" to replace batteries any more so that means shipping the watch off. I'm also not too concerned with EMP - if that happens I figure there'll be bigger things to worry about.

I don't want a dive computer, compass, thermometer, barometer, altimeter, step counter...

Accurate time, waterproof, sapphire crystal, analog dial with sweep second hand and date.

If my Luminox would keep the moisture out I'd be happy.
Self winding watches lose time, no matter how good they are. My watch batteries have lasted several years, maybe because the Seiko turtle only has a small time display and that's it. Just change your battery every five years.

Self winding watches lose time, no matter how good they are. My watch batteries have lasted several years, maybe because the Seiko turtle only has a small time display and that's it. Just change your battery every five years.
Thank you.

I've not had luck with either my Luminox or Victorinox INOX lasting more than two years so far.

Thank you.

I've not had luck with either my Luminox or Victorinox INOX lasting more than two years so far.
Not to be a snob, but neither of those brands would I consider a quality brand of time piece. There are good, quality, rugged quartz watches out there, but if battery replacement is a concern, you'll need two. Simple as that. Two is one, one is none.

I have friends that have had both Victorinox and Luminox, and IME they've never lived up to the hype/advertising.

My Rolex Submariner and Milgauss have taken a bunch of abuse and keep going. The Submariner is 20 years old and has never needed service. Both are as accurate as a mechanical can be.

However, neither are as accurate as a cheaper quartz version. The new Garmin Tactix Delta is pretty nice although I haven't seen one in the wild. My Casio Mudmaster cost me $700 and is about as tough a watch as I have ever seen. I really like it even though the dial can get a little busy.

It really depends what you want out of a watch. Even though I collect a lot of high end watches (way beyond Rolex), I seldom wear a watch anymore. When I am working, my Mac tells me the time. When I'm not, I don't really care what time it is and if I have an appointment, my phone tells me.

If the SHTF, I'll go back to wearing my mechanical watches to keep me going.

Reactions: Austinjunks
Not to be a snob, but neither of those brands would I consider a quality brand of time piece. There are good, quality, rugged quartz watches out there, but if battery replacement is a concern, you'll need two. Simple as that. Two is one, one is none.

I have friends that have had both Victorinox and Luminox, and IME they've never lived up to the hype/advertising.
I won't argue with your assessment, which I why I chimed in on the OP. I'm tired of spending money to upgrade to something better but I don't know what's better. My current job also restricts me from wearing some types of watches.

A lot of recommendations have been made in this thread that I'm looking at now, some that I've heard of and some that I haven't: Seiko, Marathon, Tag.

I gave each of my daughter's a Citizen EcoDrive over 10 years ago and they're both still keeping accurate time. I just can't find one with a sapphire crystal that I like the face.

I'll keep reading and looking. You don't know what you don't know.

Reactions: MarinePMI
Chief-Rick - as other posters have stated, you can definitely go down the rabbit hole on this, but it's a fun journey. If you end up going the high end route (Rolex, Sinn, Panerai, Omega Speedmaster, Tag, etc.) you might consider used. Depending on make, model and condition you can save 40-60% off of new. Some brands tend to go in and out of fashion. Panerai was very hot about 10 years ago - now not so much. (And before anyone jumps on me, I own a Panerai and still like it.) Same thing for Kobold. Used to get a lot of attention, but you don't seem to see much about them any more.

If you really want to have some fun, try reading old watch snob articles (sorry I don't have the link). But keep in mind he really is a snob and kind of a tool.

Chief-Rick - as other posters have stated, you can definitely go down the rabbit hole on this, but it's a fun journey. If you end up going the high end route (Rolex, Sinn, Panerai, Omega Speedmaster, Tag, etc.) you might consider used. Depending on make, model and condition you can save 40-60% off of new. Some brands tend to go in and out of fashion. Panerai was very hot about 10 years ago - now not so much. (And before anyone jumps on me, I own a Panerai and still like it.) Same thing for Kobold. Used to get a lot of attention, but you don't seem to see much about them any more.

If you really want to have some fun, try reading old watch snob articles (sorry I don't have the link). But keep in mind he really is a snob and kind of a tool.
Would anyone care to comment on a quartz Tag Heuer Aquaracer?

Is this worth the MSRP or over priced?

I found this one in the NEX and like the feel and look, asking a little less than MSRP.

Would anyone care to comment on a quartz Tag Heuer Aquaracer?

Is this worth the MSRP or over priced?

I found this one in the NEX and like the feel and look, asking a little less than MSRP.

TAG is a great watch. I've had mine for 25 years and excellent time piece. As to price, JOMASHOP will save you several hundreds of dollars. I've purchased several Hamilton watches from them with zero problems.

Quartz or automatic?
QUARTZ. When I bought it at Diamond Cellar, I wanted an accurate time piece. I was set to buy a Rolex when the sales person stated the TAG was more accurate. I've made several hundred dives since purchasing and the watch remains waterproof and accurate. Cleaned once and battery changed about every 2 years.

QUARTZ. When I bought it at Diamond Cellar, I wanted an accurate time piece. I was set to buy a Rolex when the sales person stated the TAG was more accurate. I've made several hundred dives since purchasing and the watch remains waterproof and accurate. Cleaned once and battery changed about every 2 years.
I have just recently found the JOMASHOP site but I've been looking at Crown & Caliber as well as Watchfinder for a few months. Still trying to figure out what I don't know before I drop money on something new to me.

My brain is telling me quartz for accuracy and reliability but I don't have authorized repair shops near me so I'd have to ship the watch off for service anyway. As I said in an earlier post, I don't trust the few local "jewelry stores" to so much as change a battery after a few dealings.

Any quartz is more accurate than an automatic. I have TAG mechanicals and they are no ROLEX though they are definitely nice watches for that price range

Not all automatic movements are created equal. The factory seiko movement doesn't hold a candle to the NH36 seiko movement. From what im told, the NH36 holds better time than Rolex movements. All of my seikos either have or are in the que to have NH36's installed. Im not pumping seiko up or anything, but ive found getting a seiko then doing the right mods prevents me from buying a $12k Rolex.

When you say "they are no ROLEX" do you mean in fit/finish, accuracy or both?
They need to be serviced much more regularly. After 3 years both of mine would lose accuracy. They typically ran slow. The bracelets are not built as well either. They look nice but after a few years they need some adjustment. Please don't misunderstand me. They are nice automatic timepieces. They are a good value. I have no issue with either of the ones I own.

They need to be serviced much more regularly. After 3 years both of mine would lose accuracy. They typically ran slow. The bracelets are not built as well either. They look nice but after a few years they need some adjustment. Please don't misunderstand me. They are nice automatic timepieces. They are a good value. I have no issue with either of the ones I own.
Thanks. Do you have the Calibre 5?

Not all automatic movements are created equal. The factory seiko movement doesn't hold a candle to the NH36 seiko movement. From what im told, the NH36 holds better time than Rolex movements. All of my seikos either have or are in the que to have NH36's installed. Im not pumping seiko up or anything, but ive found getting a seiko then doing the right mods prevents me from buying a $12k Rolex.
Not to rain on your parade but the the NH36A is nothing special. It has a few more features than the other Seiko calibers and that is it. All of them use the same base movement. NH calibers are rated for static accuracy of -20 ~ +40 under normal temperature conditions. All measurements are done without the calendar function which improves accuracy measurements for marketing purposes, as well as within 10-60 minutes while fully wound. None of them are COSC qualified like ROLEX. You can buy them all day on Amazon for about $50 last time I looked.

Comparing this to a COSC certified automatic from ROLEX or any other manufacture is like comparing an AI to a stock Remington 700.

Reactions: Austinjunks
+1 on Jomashop. I've bought 2 fairly expensive watches from them over the years. Very good prices and the watches have been 100%. However, I believe that, depending on the watch, you may get a grey market warranty with them.

For used, you might try looking in the sales corner of various watch forums. I know Panerai has a very active classified section. Timefactors, a UK based site, also has a pretty active classified section.

No...my TAGs are chronographs so they are Caliber 16 models. In case you don't know, not all caliber 5 movements are the same. Some are COSC certified and, therefore, more expensive and sought after.
I prefer the simpler Calibre 5 movement/face but I'll keep my eyes open. I did not know there were some COSC/non-COSC Calibre 5 movements, thought they were all the same.

Buying a grey market expensive watch is a crapshoot. People are lured into the lower cost but in my opinion, you are better off buying a used watch from a known jeweler than going the grey market route.

ROLEX and the other premium manufactures will not service a grey market watch under warranty. I know a couple of "collectors" who got great deals on ROLEX or IWC brands. They looked perfect. When they needed service and were sent back to the service depot, they received a note. Your watch is fake. We are shipping it back to you.

There are so many outstanding counterfeits out there, it is hard to tell. Some are $400 and above in cost. There are people who wear them when in bad areas versus wearing the real timepiece.

I prefer the simpler Calibre 5 movement/face but I'll keep my eyes open. I did not know there were some COSC/non-COSC Calibre 5 movements, thought they were all the same.
If you see a COSC one, they are worth the premium as that test and certification process is pretty arduous.

Another brand that you may want to look at is

RESCO Instruments

I don't own one yet but will soon. @sirhrmechanic owns a number of them and swears by their durability and accuracy.

Buying a grey market expensive watch is a crapshoot. People are lured into the lower cost but in my opinion, you are better off buying a used watch from a known jeweler than going the grey market route.

ROLEX and the other premium manufactures will not service a grey market watch under warranty. I know a couple of "collectors" who got great deals on ROLEX or IWC brands. They looked perfect. When they needed service and were sent back to the service depot, they received a note. Your watch is fake. We are shipping it back to you.

There are so many outstanding counterfeits out there, it is hard to tell. Some are $400 and above in cost. There are people who wear them when in bad areas versus wearing the real timepiece.
This is why I'm leaning towards buying new from my local NEX - it may be a little more expensive and I may not be able to buy the top of the line, but at least it'll be "real". I've been wanting a nice automatic for a few years but I do want reliable.

This is why I'm leaning towards buying new from my local NEX - it may be a little more expensive and I may not be able to buy the top of the line, but at least it'll be "real". I've been wanting a nice automatic for a few years but I do want reliable.

Don't know where you live. If you can get to a Tourneau or similar shop, that is where you want to go. They have lots of used watches and good prices and you NEVER have to worry about the authenticity. The used market, especially when it comes with box and papers, is an excellent alternative than buying new.

I buy everything at Tourneau because they only sell watches. Any jeweler that is AUTHORIZED to sell the brand is a good bet and many have trade in models. Any jeweler can usually get you a particular watch but if they are not authorized, the manufacture will consider it a grey market and not warranty it. You may also not get the certificates which are super important for long term appreciation

If you go private sale, it is risky. I would never do it without using an escrow company to do the deal as I would want to check out the movement to ensure it is genuine.

Don't know where you live. If you can get to a Tourneau or similar shop, that is where you want to go. They have lots of used watches and good prices and you NEVER have to worry about the authenticity. The used market, especially when it comes with box and papers, is an excellent alternative than buying new.

I buy everything at Tourneau because they only sell watches. Any jeweler that is AUTHORIZED to sell the brand is a good bet and many have trade in models. Any jeweler can usually get you a particular watch but if they are not authorized, the manufacture will consider it a grey market and not warranty it. You may also not get the certificates which are super important for long term appreciation

If you go private sale, it is risky. I would never do it without using an escrow company to do the deal as I would want to check out the movement to ensure it is genuine.
I'm currently overseas - Europe/Middle East. Can't say I trust much of anything over here.

Go shopping at www.westcoastime.com. The owner is Howard Marx. I've had his M16 watch for ten years and it's been solid. This one is has a Swiss case, ETA 2824 movement, sapphire crystal, tritium vials and 200 meter rated.

IMG_20200910_085811477.jpg

Reactions: TurboTrout
No, and not able to get there with travel restrictions.

Back in the day Macau used to be the best place to buy genuine used Rolex watches at a discount.
Something about everybody coming over to gamble and literally selling their watch when they ran out of money HA!

Discounts are a thing of the past...

ROLEX is predatory with removing you as a dealer if you discount the watch and just as quick should you charge above MSRP.

If you know a dealer that provides discounts, let me know. I am in the market for a Daytona

Last edited:
Late to the party here. For a 1k budget and accurate time piece that is rugged, Christopher Ward makes a solid watch. I have had both quartz and autos from their dive lines and am very pleased with them. I believe they have a COSC product like right at 1k.

My range and field watch is either a Gshock ga100 or a Glycine combat sub. If you are unsure of what route to take before jumping in to a horological rabbit hole, just buy a Seiko diver with nh35a and further your knowledge while you bide time.

Good luck