• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sell everything towards AIAX MC?

quiksilverj

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 20, 2012
virginia
So I've been wanting an AI for quite a while now and am considering selling most of the herd to put towards one. Can anyone tell why this is a bad idea great idea haha? Currently I am feeling like I've got more crap than I can shoot and really like the idea of a switchbarrel gun and the build quality/reliability of the AI. Anyone else done this? Do you regret it or was it a great decision?

I got rid of bolt guns in calibers I could use in an MRAD. Same idea and never looked back.

It's a huge bonus being able to use the same setup regardless of caliber. No learning different stocks, no learning different scopes, reticles and turrets. Its the same gun everytime.

I agree with German. Find the chassis you like the best and enjoy the same feel whether shooting 6.5 or 338. Also you only need one optic so buy the best you can. The AXMC is awesome and so is the MRAD (and don’t forget the Kraken and DTA). Familiarity of system should help with speed and accuracy. Of course I would never say to sell all your other guns, that’s almost heresy!

I did just that when I got my DTA. Sold pretty much all my bolt guns, only have a scar17 left. I just recently got an AXMC in case I want to shoot a traditional style stock. With those 2 rifles I'm set for everything I feel like.
Honestly the Axmc is built like a damn tank. This thing oozes quality at a level that is hard to find. I would bet my life on it, if it ever came to a situation like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depends.

Here are some downsides:

- For all of its adjustability in the stock, the 'hump' with slick plastic is not ergonomic as an actual hand hold in many forms of seated and slung, the hump is too far out there for many to simply grab the rail as well

- It's an LA, we're all faster with an SA - if it means anything

- It's a pig.

- The optic that you might put on an SA might be different the the optic you might want to reach out with

- Mixed reviews on feeding

I'm in the boat of going axmc before going down the road of spending thousands on customs over a decade then getting on the axmc boat and wishing I had a long time ago.

I would say clear it all out and go axmc. I'm just about to snag one myself. Call Jordan at Mile High and just have a chat, you won't regret it

No you can't take action out and slap it into a light weight hunting stock. If that's a big deal to you just PM me I have another option for you

Also....Kraken has yet to actually hit dealer hands...even Mile High doesn't haven them and deadlines keep passing with no product.....not to mention how much more complicated swapping barrels is

​​​​​​when Cadex came to Mile High for training/info seminar on Kraken they didn't even have a Kraken in hands ......

I ended up getting rid of a lot of factory rifles and projects to fund my purchase, including a trg22. I bought an ax308 first and love it. I figured that I can only shoot one rifle at a time so I might as well make it a nice one. I don't think it's a night as day difference over the trg22, but is better.

So far the positives:
accurate
functions 100%
chassis fits me
Expect it to hold its value better then a custom (I hope)

negatives:
cost
heavy
spare barrels add up
storing/transporting spare parts and sa conversion.

I have two AXMC's and love them, I don't know why I bought two.....I guess it's like the old saying " What's better than a steak dinner?....Two steak dinners!" I rarely shoot the Long Action though. Other than two custom Hunting rifles for me and the wife, they are the only bolt guns I shoot anymore. If you're going to buy new I recommend MHSA or eurooptic. However, there's usually a used one in the PX at a discount. I sold one earlier in the year to try a 50 cal out....sold that and bought another MC.

I ended up getting rid of a lot of factory rifles and projects to fund my purchase, including a trg22. I bought an ax308 first and love it. I figured that I can only shoot one rifle at a time so I might as well make it a nice one. I don't think it's a night as day difference over the trg22, but is better.

So far the positives:
accurate
functions 100%
chassis fits me
Expect it to hold its value better then a custom (I hope)

negatives:
cost
heavy
spare barrels add up
storing/transporting spare parts and sa conversion.

negatives:

cost - Factor in an optic per caliber/rifle as well as the build cost and parts for each and in the long run you come out way ahead on cost

heavy - Gym. Weights. Cardio with weight. The MRAD isn't that heavy. Learn to transition to sling with it and carry it that way as well. The weight of these isn't THAT big of a deal. I mean sure, you can build some ultra lightweight 308 for hunting that you can't shoot 3 rounds down the barrel of because they'll open up to 16MOA but it will weigh 6lbs or whatever. What the MRAD/AX are built for isn't that anyways.

spare barrels add up- See above, when you factor in a new gun/optic for each barrel caliber.

storing/transporting spare parts and sa conversion.- Store them with the rest of your rifles. I've never lugged around a conversion kit and changed it while out and about. No need to.

negatives:

cost - Factor in an optic per caliber/rifle as well as the build cost and parts for each and in the long run you come out way ahead on cost

heavy - Gym. Weights. Cardio with weight. The MRAD isn't that heavy. Learn to transition to sling with it and carry it that way as well. The weight of these isn't THAT big of a deal. I mean sure, you can build some ultra lightweight 308 for hunting that you can't shoot 3 rounds down the barrel of because they'll open up to 16MOA but it will weigh 6lbs or whatever. What the MRAD/AX are built for isn't that anyways.

spare barrels add up- See above, when you factor in a new gun/optic for each barrel caliber.

storing/transporting spare parts and sa conversion.- Store them with the rest of your rifles. I've never lugged around a conversion kit and changed it while out and about. No need to.

Guess we live in different tax brackets. Over $10,000 per set up is expensive for ME.

Heavy- the state of Idaho agrees with me and will not allow it for hunting big game.

It's my experience with owning a couple axmc's. Your experience may be different

Thanks for all the replies guys seems like I'm not the only one and most of you are pretty pleased with the decision. Definitely cost is a huge factor otherwise I'm sure we would all have 3 or 4 haha. I have thought about the weight since I have done matches like mammoth a couple times. I think I could get used to it or take one of the gassers instead.

so next question is since they are so expensive I am leaning towards the long action knowing I would rarely shoot the magnums and mainly the short action cartridges. Anyone regret getting the long action because of the extra bulk and cost or and guys that got the short wish they had sprung for the long for a true do anything rifle? I've also heard the long action short cartridge barrels are harder to get. I'm guessing the threads are different?

I have both the AX and DTA and I still find myself wanting / needing purpose built rifles. I wouldn't want to pack either of the two up a mountain, and the FFP scopes I have on them aren't ideal for Varmint hunting. On top of that I love getting new toys from time to time. YMMV

I have a Desert tech and find myself wanting the AXMC really bad after shooting one. I like my Desert tech but the AI feels so much more natural and is more refined in my opinion. I have tried to sell a few rifles to fund one but when the best offer is $1500 shipped on a custom rifle that cost almost double that to build I just say fuck it and leave it in the safe. That seems to be my luck with every rifle I've tried to sell.

Reactions: deersniper
I want an axmc really bad. I was thinking of trading my full spec m40a1 w/ mst100 towards one but I think I would regret it. Maybe lol

I have the long action and short action and don't find too much difference when you are behind the gun. I have kids that I shoot with so it's nice to have two setups ready to go and can switch back and forth between the two.

I also have purpose built hunting rifles for packing up the mountains. I am still tempted to have a carbon fiber barrel spun up and getting a lighter scope to see if I could get the short action into some sort of hunting weight.

Selling right now is tough unless you want to take a huge hit, unless it has all the parts that are trending right now.

An AXMC seems like a great idea if you're going to have one gun, but every time I do the math and add another ~$2K on top of an already expensive gun to get it converted to short action I just cringe. That's near on $10K for just the rifle, if you buy new.

Full disclosure: I'm in the midst of purchasing a short action AX in the caliber I currently shoot most.

Last edited:
I did it and I don't regret it at all. I have 6.5cm, 28 Nosler and 300 Norma barrels for mine. I love only having to haul one case to the range now. The only thing I would recommend doing is having your firing pin hole bushed if you're going to shoot magnums. Speedy Gonzales did all three of mine.

Todd

Attachments

• photo67209.jpg
    photo67209.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 32
Also to add, I love being able to carry my AXMC like this, in a case about as big as my range bag.

5e5b27d9bd950c2a4297e9adbb121a75.jpg

ETA: that's an Eberlestock g1 little brother bag, for size reference.

Last edited:
Covert, That little case is bad to the bone! How long is the barrel that fits in there?

Get an AXMC and keep one custom rifle. That's what I did.

Do you have anything else you could see off and keep the guns? Cars, children, 401k.

Covert, That little case is bad to the bone! How long is the barrel that fits in there?

i was wondering the same thing. Figure some barrels just go in the pack. How much does AX308 chassis weigh without barrel? Curious how much weight people are shaving with Proof barrels on an AX.

The barrels for the LA used to be harder to get, but not anymore. It's just a larger tenon and they are usually in stock at MHSA, Euro, and Dave Tooley might be able to spin one up for you. The only reason I bought a SA in addition to my MC was my wife mentioned she liked them so I bought her one. Granted she doesn't shoot it near as much as I do, but it's " hers." I find if I buy "her" gun stuff there's less complaining and resistance. I would have a custom hunting rifle if you hunt, if your blind hunting not a big deal. I doubt you will see many AX's on a sheep hunt though ha.

I can get my 20" 300WM barrel in there but barely. I carry the extra barrels in the pack. An 18" barrel would be ideal, which is the size I'm targeting for a .308 barrel.
But I love the space savings cause I don't have a very big trunk to put all my gear in when I hit the range.

I hear ya on the selling Bradu. It's probably the worst time to make a decision like this haha

I forgot to mention the $2300 offer that I got on my AIAE MK 3 folder in a .260 that is in perfect condition with a whopping 300 rounds through it. I won't give my shit away so it will either sit in the safe or I'm going to drag it behind the truck so that's all it worth since it's gently used hahaha

The newer MRAD doesn't even need a breech conversion for LA/SA calibers anymore. You buy the conversion caliber kit that comes with the bolt, mag and barrel and you're done.

Get in a full rifle at around $4kish and then each new caliber is around $1k; thats a new 'rifle' for less than the cost of the scope you'd need to buy for every custom gun you would have bought or had made in that caliber. Once you factor in the cost of the actual new gun, bipod, rings, mags, etc for each new gun...its a fucking steal. Ontop of that, you have the exact same rifle and optic to shoot each time so training is better as its on the same thing each time, just a different caliber.

i was wondering the same thing. Figure some barrels just go in the pack. How much does AX308 chassis weigh without barrel? Curious how much weight people are shaving with Proof barrels on an AX.

My SA AX with 20" Proof is 14#'s with the S&B 5-20 US in a Spuhr IMG_20170511_204732_185.jpg , even lighter with the 16" Proof. The 20" Proof was just over 2#'s lighter than the factory 20".

I've given this idea some serious consideration as well. I really like the idea of having one do-it-all precision rifle. I've got a year before I can do anything w/ this so there's no no rush on my end. I'm much more interested in shooting short action calibers such as 6.5 CM & 308, but I really dig shooting 300 WM. I'd really like to know how reliably the short action rounds feed from the conversion assembly.

Curious, what amount of point of impact change is there after zeroing, removing and reinstalling the barrel? Do you just re-zero every time you install a barrel?

Curious, what amount of point of impact change is there after zeroing, removing and reinstalling the barrel? Do you just re-zero every time you install a barrel?

On both my DTA and AXMC once you've zeroed for that caliber it always returns to that adjustment. So for example: on my DTA, my base or "home" zero on my scope is my .223, then I put the .308 barrel in, but without re-zeroing the scope I just write down the off-set from my "home" zero. I know my .308 is 0.4 up and .5 right from my home zero. Follow the same steps for all the calibers.

I've been having custom rifles built on the AI chassis' for many years. In 2014, I finally purchased an AT shot it a few times and turned around and bought a AX. Now I only shoot the AI rifles and my kids get to shoot the customs. I still like the customs I own and will still have my left over custom actions built up, but I am now an AI fan. I only shoot 308 based cases and 338 Lapua. So the AX is strictly 338.

Guess we live in different tax brackets. Over $10,000 per set up is expensive for ME.

Heavy- the state of Idaho agrees with me and will not allow it for hunting big game.

It's my experience with owning a couple axmc's. Your experience may be different

That is weird. You would think heavier would be better for a humane kill. At leas I feel my heavy rifles shoot better -- though the heavy ones are also my best ;)

I spent once but 10K is pretty close to where I came out after the suppressor. I didn't have a huge stable of rifles of this quality/accuracy. I went big once and while 10K was obscenely high for me, I think those spending half that a few times think they are somehow not in the same boat.

I do not regret going big and doing it right the first time and I for one know how hard it is to spend 10K.

You guys almost have me regretting buying a short action AX, but I don't have interest in magnum cartridges right now.

I love my AXMC, but what do you currently have, and what are your uses? Sure you can shoot a lot of chamber options on one platform but that doesn't mean it's always going to be the right choice.

Right now I have in bolt guns a 308, 6.5 creed and a 300 win mag. I have been considering picking up a 6mm as well but haven't decided caliber yet. Also I have been noticing it is taking a lot to put glass on all these rifles and i have varying levels of optics which usually leaves me picking up the rifle with the best glass most often or switching to whatever I am going to be shooting at the next match. I can also see some benefit to them all being on the same platform for consistencies sake. Currently I shoot some club level matches and usually a bigger ruck style match (decent downside of the AI weight) but am going to try to pick up a few more larger matches.

I'm a little confused on the small vs large firing pin. Can the small firing pin be had on the the 308 bolt for the long action MC?

Just spent the morning at mile high so they could show my FIL how to do the bolt swaps before shipping it home for him. Incredible platform. I really like my TL3 build, but the AI is a whole different animal. Certainly has me wishing I considered an AT before having my current setup built.

Right now I have in bolt guns a 308, 6.5 creed and a 300 win mag. I have been considering picking up a 6mm as well but haven't decided caliber yet. Also I have been noticing it is taking a lot to put glass on all these rifles and i have varying levels of optics which usually leaves me picking up the rifle with the best glass most often or switching to whatever I am going to be shooting at the next match. I can also see some benefit to them all being on the same platform for consistencies sake. Currently I shoot some club level matches and usually a bigger ruck style match (decent downside of the AI weight) but am going to try to pick up a few more larger matches.

The only downside may be the larger firing pin on the AXMC but even with the 6.5 creed there's ways around it. The right powder choice can keep the pressure curve optimal, and/or primers like Tula or CCI BR2's with a thicker cup will help prevent piercing with any of the powders. These aren't guaranteed however but myself and many others have ran creedmoor on LFP AI's without issue. Other options may not work out quite as well unless you want to bush your bolt so keep that in mind. Personally I don't want to bush my bolt so I just work around it. I have 243, 6.5 Creed, 308, 300WM, and 338LM barrels for my AXMC. I haven't shot the Creedmoor on this rifle yet but I ran a good bit through a 2012 AX with LFP and a 2014 AX SA with LFP without issue.

I like the weight of the AXMC, it really isn't noticeably heavier than a AX SA (like less than 1/2lbs?). The weight isn't too much for movement yet really helps the rifle stay planted when free recoiling. My only concern when getting the AXMC was the extended bolt throw when running SA rounds but I was assured that I wouldn't even notice it and I don't. It just works.

Was the rifle expensive with all the barrels and bolts, mag adaptor, mags etc? Yes, but still less than topping 4 rifles (the number of barrels/calibers I currently have for my AXMC) with $3K+ S&B's alone, not to mention the cost for each rifle.

The only thing better than an AXMC is an AXMC and a AX SA SFP. It's the perfect two rifle bolt gun system. You have a SA SFP version as your main comp gun for running whatever 6mm or 6.5mm flavor you want without having to worry about pierced primers or anything ever. Then you have an AXMC to run in magnum cals as well as have a 6mm or 6.5mm option or two as a backup rifle should your main rifle ever go down or experience an issue during a comp. Yes you're talking $25K for two rifle systems but it's worth every penny and you won't lust after another bolt gun. Call up Euro Optic, I'm sure they'll make the purchase a little easier on the wallet.

I wish I went with the AXMC over the regular old AX.

Now I have an AX in 308, 6XC, and 6.5X47 and an AWSM for the ELR stuff I hope to get going on shortly.

Some problems are better to have than others though...

...I'd really like to know how reliably the short action rounds feed from the conversion assembly.

I've never had any feeding issues on my AXMC with short action rounds. The conversion assembly that goes into the magwell does a great job. The bolt pull is longer but not that big of a deal.

The only downside may be the larger firing pin on the AXMC but even with the 6.5 creed there's ways around it. The right powder choice can keep the pressure curve optimal, and/or primers like Tula or CCI BR2's with a thicker cup will help prevent piercing with any of the powders. These aren't guaranteed however but myself and many others have ran creedmoor on LFP AI's without issue. Other options may not work out quite as well unless you want to bush your bolt so keep that in mind. Personally I don't want to bush my bolt so I just work around it. I have 243, 6.5 Creed, 308, 300WM, and 338LM barrels for my AXMC. I haven't shot the Creedmoor on this rifle yet but I ran a good bit through a 2012 AX with LFP and a 2014 AX SA with LFP without issue.

I like the weight of the AXMC, it really isn't noticeably heavier than a AX SA (like less than 1/2lbs?). The weight isn't too much for movement yet really helps the rifle stay planted when free recoiling. My only concern when getting the AXMC was the extended bolt throw when running SA rounds but I was assured that I wouldn't even notice it and I don't. It just works.

Was the rifle expensive with all the barrels and bolts, mag adaptor, mags etc? Yes, but still less than topping 4 rifles (the number of barrels/calibers I currently have for my AXMC) with $3K+ S&B's alone, not to mention the cost for each rifle.

The only thing better than an AXMC is an AXMC and a AX SA SFP. It's the perfect two rifle bolt gun system. You have a SA SFP version as your main comp gun for running whatever 6mm or 6.5mm flavor you want without having to worry about pierced primers or anything ever. Then you have an AXMC to run in magnum cals as well as have a 6mm or 6.5mm option or two as a backup rifle should your main rifle ever go down or experience an issue during a comp. Yes you're talking $25K for two rifle systems but it's worth every penny and you won't lust after another bolt gun. Call up Euro Optic, I'm sure they'll make the purchase a little easier on the wallet.

My thought exactly, which is why I have an AX, and if I ever need to go to a larger cartridge, I'll get a separate AXMC rather than sell the or trade the AX for the AXMC.

Even though I have the money, I can't and probably never will bring myself to spend 7k on a rifle alone.

I thought that too. Then I bought an AI/AT.(Sold a bunch of rifles, Garands, K31, SVT 40. Don't miss any of them now.) I don't think that way anymore:)
It is such a pleasure to shoot. Try to get some trigger time on one,may well change your tune.

Cheers!

well. I kinda did that. I sold a 6.5x47 and a 308 to buy my AX308 (post 2014 with quick change barrel).

I love it. it shoots very well. and adding another cal (like I just got a 6 creed barrel) is as simple as buying the barrel. not another action, chassis, and optic. and with some of the pre made barrels out there, it can be less expensive than rebarreling a custom action. same goes when you shoot out a barrel. you just order one. no sending off the rifle, or limited to one builder cause he has your specs. more and more shops are making barrels now, so they are usually in stock. I really like the setup of having one chassis and scope, so all that is EXACTLY the same between my practice and match setups. and switching is very repeatable. like inside a tenth of a mil. I regularly bring two barrels to the range, shoot one barrel till its hot, then swap it out, and shoot the other. and back and forth. its awesome

I use mine for competition, and not for hunting though. so the weight to me is fine. I have also replace the forward grip in front of the mag well with the RRS piece. so, no I can clip onto a RRS tripod very easily, but its also a nice flat piece for resting the rifle on. I don't have any issues shooting that rifle off of barricades, and like most guys run a gamechanger bag. works like a champ

if it were going to be a primary hunting rig, I might say stick with more traditional factory/custom rifles. they are heavy (you can midigate that, but its still a heavy chassis). so, I have one with 3 barrels, but I also have a long action and short action hunting rigs. I like the lighter, thinner stock for hunting.

At the SHOT Show last year, Mile High was offering 20% off of MSRP (If I recall correctly) if you placed an order for any AI at the show, didn't matter if you were a dealer or not. From what I recall, street price for the AIs is between 5%-10% off.

that sounds promising by chance i think i will actually get to go to shot this year!