• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sell me on weather meters

dwent

Private
Minuteman
Jun 4, 2019
Alright guys. Long time lurkin. Here it goes.

What are the advantages of using a Kestrel? Here’s how I see it. You tell me what I’m missing.

I can get accurate station pressure from the sensor in my iphone. I can get a rough temperature read from a keychain sized thermometer, that’s been hanging in the open air from my pack. Precision here not being of the highest importance, since I’m just trying to figure the general temp of my ammunition. I have pretty much no way of figuring the humidity, but if I compare 20% to 100% humidity for my target loads the difference is less than 2” of drop at 1000 yards. Not significant enough for my purposes.

When we’re talking about 1000+ yard shots knowing the exact wind value at the muzzle of my rifle doesn’t seem any more useful than my own estimation made from observing the environment, mirage, etc...

Not trying to troll anyone who owns one. Quite the contrary. I know there are many highly experience long range shooters here who use them and I’m just assuming that I’m oversimplifying the process. Hunting/ELR shooting aren’t cheap pursuits. It would be nice to spend that extra coin on better glass.

Sounds like the method you use now works and I agree with the money saved.

The Kestrel is one device that can give me all the real time data I need, in seconds, for multiple rifles/loads.

valid points. I have been using phone and apps for solutions and it worked great. My reason for getting a Kestrel is it works wherever I go. unlike my phone which relies on cell towers to update my environmentals. The elite models have option to input a custom BC based on your actual gun and loads via the Applied Ballistics dopler thinngymajiggy. yes, it is expensive for what it is but... just like everything with no direct competition and military with no limit credit cards.

Last edited:
The kestrel has the snake game in the about page in settings.

ha! handy during lunch time or stage malfunction. I do wish it has a counter option that I can press for each shot for when ROing a match. less thing I have to carry.

valid points. I have been using phone and apps for solutions and it worked great. My reason for getting a Kestrel is it works wherever I go. unlike my phone which relies on cell towers to update my environmentals. The elite models have option to input a custom BC based on your actual gun and loads via the Applied Ballistics dopler thinngymajiggy. yes, it is expensive for what it is but... just like everything with no direct competition and military with no limit credit cards.

I hear you on the AB dopler data. I mostly shoot the ELD line of bullets that have the benefit of hornady’s 4DOF data. I could see that being a major draw if I wanted to shoot something not in their library.

I guess what precipitated this for me was seeking simplicity. I’d been using a Bluetooth weather flow meter previously and the process of setting up for a shot while fumbling with binos, range finder phone, and now this finicky BT device that only pairs when it feels like it had gotten pretty frustrating. I haven’t ruled the kestrel out as an option, but the phone is just easier to work. I hadn’t even realized that my phone and watch both had barometric pressure sensors until I was about to shitcan the weather meter, though it’s still obnoxious that you have to use a separate app to get the reading since 4DOF doesn’t pull it from the phones sensor for whatever reason. I’ve inquired and they stated they don’t currently have any plans to change that.

I think I’ll keep the weather meter on hand for now if for nothing else than to compare it’s wind call to my own observations.

The Kestrel is accurate. Yes, mine at least is hard enough to keep linked I just gave up, type the key data in when I have a chance (wx rarely changes that fast so I don't need a live update for the way I work), but it's /accurate/.

Phones and other things like LRF may or may not give accurate info. They do that as a secondary function, so just comparing them with known good and: not as accurate. They don't all compensate well for things like how hard the phone is working, or when charging, so how much the battery heats up the device itself, for example.

I also find that the phone is often also a phone, or at least acting as a computer, that I touch a lot, that I keep on me secure, so gets even more skewed data by being in a pocket, or in my hand (etc.) a lot more. Having a dedicated wx station works well for me, and I even use it for non-shooting applications in the field, e.g. to make sure we take proper precautions for clothing, shelter, based on actual data it is so reliable.

....not sure why anyone would want to remove all possible variables for good data accuracy? (sarcastic question)

Trash in, trash out... the more variables that are wrong the more your output is trash.

My misses have been bad wind calls, not getting the humidity wrong by a few % points. Kestrel - when used correctly - at least gives me one good wind call at the muzzle.

Be advised, good wind calling is a very, very perishable skill; if you plan to eyeball it well and do so infrequently, good luck. Use that time learning about your limitations to save up for your Kestrel.

Reactions: dwent
....not sure why anyone would want to remove all possible variables for good data accuracy? (sarcastic question)

Trash in, trash out... the more variables that are wrong the more your output is trash.

I’ll answer your sarcasm as a serious question.

Time is also a variable and when you’re not on a square range pulling the trigger only after you’ve taken five minutes to calculate your DOPE, it becomes a much more significant variable than humidity in my experience thus far. I have very little reservation about the exclusion of humidity from my calculations.

“Trash in, trash out” makes a pretty big assumption that your kestrel’s wind call at your shooting position is constant throughout the bullet’s travel.

Bearing in mind that I can get very accurate station pressure from both my phone and/or watch, the question of wind is my biggest problem. I occasionally use the little Bluetooth Weatherflow meter, but pairing is cumbersome and spotty. More significantly I think, is the tricky spot I get myself into if I’m shooting 800 yards across a valley. The wind is 5 mph at my position and blowing in my face from rising thermals, but it is a 15mph crosswind during half of the bullets travel. These are not uncommon conditions. In this scenario it seems like taking the kestrel, weatherflow, or any other wind meter’s wind call as gospel has the likelihood of doing more harm than good when you need a first shot hit.

I definitely understand that making off the cuff wind calls is no easy task, especially in the scenario mentioned. I just haven’t decided if the benefit of adding in a stand-alone meter is going to help or hurt.

The Kestrel with AB software (never used 4DOF) is the easy button of long range shooting. When you get a Kestrel, and you eventually will, you will be mad at yourself for wasting all of your time dicking around with shitty phone apps, and keychains, and watches, and licking your finger and sticking it in the air. Applied Ballistics phone app vs using the Kestrel is a night and day difference. The Kestrel is 15x as easy to use and extremely fast. There is no 5 minutes to calculate DOPE, it takes like 17 seconds. You also have the ability to enter multiple wind speeds so you can get your average. I'm in WY and we have plenty of wind, the Kestrel was a game changer. Here is how you use it once you have all your rifles programmed into it (which is extremely easy as well)

1. Point the Kestrel at the target and push 1 button, you now have an Azimuth, adjust the yardage, enter degree angle if you need it (7 seconds)
2. Take a wind reading by pushing 1 button, it does wind angle for you. Adjust a second wind speed if you want (5-10 seconds)
3. Make sure you have the right gun selected, you do this by reading 2 words that are written on the screen. (1/4 second)
4. Get an environment reading, you do this by pushing 1 button (1 second)
5. Shoot the target

It really is that easy. In between the steps listed above you will have to push the down button as well. It gives you a perfect firing solution every time. Nothing to mess up like in the apps. Just buy the Kestrel, you won't regret it. Get the elite with a ballistic solver in it.

The Kestrel with AB software (never used 4DOF) is the easy button of long range shooting. When you get a Kestrel, and you eventually will, you will be mad at yourself for wasting all of your time dicking around with shitty phone apps, and keychains, and watches, and licking your finger and sticking it in the air. Applied Ballistics phone app vs using the Kestrel is a night and day difference. The Kestrel is 15x as easy to use and extremely fast. There is no 5 minutes to calculate DOPE, it takes like 17 seconds. You also have the ability to enter multiple wind speeds so you can get your average. I'm in WY and we have plenty of wind, the Kestrel was a game changer. Here is how you use it once you have all your rifles programmed into it (which is extremely easy as well)

1. Point the Kestrel at the target and push 1 button, you now have an Azimuth, adjust the yardage, enter degree angle if you need it (7 seconds)
2. Take a wind reading by pushing 1 button, it does wind angle for you. Adjust a second wind speed if you want (5-10 seconds)
3. Make sure you have the right gun selected, you do this by reading 2 words that are written on the screen. (1/4 second)
5. Shoot the target

It really is that easy. In between the steps listed above you will have to push the down button as well, this might add 1 more second. The Kestrel gives you a perfect firing solution every time. Nothing to mess up like in the apps. Just buy the Kestrel, you won't regret it. Get the elite with a ballistic solver in it.

5. Shoot the target

It really is that easy. In between the steps listed above you will have to push the down button as well. It gives you a perfect firing solution every time. Nothing to mess up like in the apps. Just buy the Kestrel, you won't regret it. Get the elite with a ballistic solver in it.

I appreciate the input. Sounds like it might be a little more simple to use than what I’m expecting it to be.