• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Sell your crap- enjoy life, not debt

hermosabeach

Invite new Gun owners to the range in 2021
Minuteman
A great Ted talk- worth the time to watch and rewatch with your significant other.

There are thousands and thousands of people living lives of quiet, screaming desperation who work long,hard hours, at jobs they hate, to enable them to buy things they don’t need to impress people they don’t like- N. Marsh

Most people in "Shit Hole" countries don't have debt! No thanks, I like my stuff and wouldn't change anything thus far. Sounds like this pussy doesn't want to contribute to Society. Wonder if he Han Insurance while on his trip? Got to think about the big picture.

Debt free and have 'stuff' that appreciates....

Nothing wrong with stuff. But buy the right stuff! Not big screen TV's and Lexus's (Lexi???).

Old guns, old cars, old motorcycles... good land... good art... good watches...

And live by sweat equity. You can turn a piece of junk into a beautiful object... keep buying that junk and making it beautiful... instead of watching reruns of Hello Larry and Manimal.... Tools are not spending, they are investment!

Bernie Madoff can't walk off with my shit... And when it's time to make it liquid... no problem!

Cheers,

Sirhr

Years back I had a roommate who should shop 2-3 days a week. She would donate to good will a few times a year. 90% of the stuff she donated had the price tags on the garment.

She had a hole that she filled with clothing. Others smoke, drink or buy optics on their credit card.

I appreciate people who advise doing the opposite of MTV cribs, NBA players and anyone who is a social media elite

No debt here. I was poor in college making rent with blood plasma donations and part-time dishwashing for cash. That gave me a taste of how not to live. If I can't buy it outright, then I can wait to buy it later. I now own my home, my transportation and tools and have money in the bank which makes the job I work a choice not a necessity.

If you guys think guns are expensive, try having an ex-wife. ;)

Sounds like this pussy doesn't want to contribute to Society. Wonder if he Han Insurance while on his trip? Got to think about the big picture.
None of the above is any of your business. And fuck your big picture. It ain't my big picture.

As soon as my kid is thru college I'm scaling the fuck BACK and consumerism can kiss my ass.

Reactions: OFIS
Powdahound, I guess that saying's true then: "If it fucks, flies or floats, it's cheaper to rent."

And 308P, you can say that again!

Mcfred, not having my ex-wife is cheaper than having her. I have the same bills without her income, pay some child support, and have more money than I did when I was married.

Agreed. Wise old friend of mine always said, “It ain’t about the money, it’s the grief”.

Mcfred
Though funny I disagree. I am not a fan if the subjugation of women.
I think a man just has to find the right one. There are a lot if amazing women out there. Also, men need to be men and fulfill their end of a relationship instead of being a Jackwagon.
I am dating my future wife and can promise she has not met or dated a man who treats her like I do. Respect in all things, value her input and opinion, and treat her like a queen.

I agree, I need less stuff and spend more time living life!

None of the above is any of your business. And fuck your big picture. It ain't my big picture.

As soon as my kid is thru college I'm scaling the fuck BACK and consumerism can kiss my ass.

A lot of people are irresponsible, and I shouldn't have to pay for it. Sell all your shit, take the summer off and backpack across Europe. You get sick, hurt or an Emergency come up..... Don't expect Society to bail you out. I don't agree with going into debt, but strolling through life without a plan is fucking retarded.

Sell all your shit, take the summer off and backpack across Europe. You get sick, hurt or an Emergency come up..... Don't expect Society to bail you out. I don't agree with going into debt, but strolling through life without a plan is fucking retarded.
A) If you get sick in Europe (as a tourist) their "free" healthcare isn't free for you. Try again.
B) I don't expect shit from society
C) You don't get to make decisions for other people if they decide to contribute less than you think they should

if i had a fucking dime for everytime someone who hasnt been married tries to tell the secret of how to find a good woman.....

come back after you hit the 25 year mark and tell me all about it. THEN you have the right to share the knowlege you gained. and even then, i've seen them go sideways and turn on a fellow. and if you think you are immune to that shit, life has a funny way of showing you that you are not.

Man, you mean all of that cocaine and those hookers are nit going to appreciate?

NOW YOU TELL ME!

Mcfred
Though funny I disagree. I am not a fan if the subjugation of women.
I think a man just has to find the right one. There are a lot if amazing women out there. Also, men need to be men and fulfill their end of a relationship instead of being a Jackwagon.
I am dating my future wife and can promise she has not met or dated a man who treats her like I do. Respect in all things, value her input and opinion, and treat her like a queen.

I agree, I need less stuff and spend more time living life!

*Tips fedora, “I’ll respect you so hard!”

if i had a fucking dime for everytime someone who hasnt been married tries to tell the secret of how to find a good woman.....

come back after you hit the 25 year mark and tell me all about it. THEN you have the right to share the knowlege you gained. and even then, i've seen them go sideways and turn on a fellow. and if you think you are immune to that shit, life has a funny way of showing you that you are not.

This^^^ x1000. I’m starting my 19th year with my first/last wife. I ain’t sayin shit! I figured it out, but I’m not giving away my secrets......

A lot of people are irresponsible, and I shouldn't have to pay for it. Sell all your shit, take the summer off and backpack across Europe. You get sick, hurt or an Emergency come up..... Don't expect Society to bail you out. I don't agree with going into debt, but strolling through life without a plan is fucking retarded.

I don't think anyone is advocating that. Everyone is just saying to not be a slave to the consumerism that engulfs our society. Live a simple life. I think that's sound advice.

Reactions: W54/XM-388
the sad truth of women is the better you treat them, the higher the pedestal you put them on, the harder they'll kick you in the teeth.
for you rare few that are the exception to the rule, you better get on your knees and thank God.
Mcfred, not having my ex-wife is cheaper than having her. I have the same bills without her income, pay some child support, and have more money than I did when I was married.
funny how that works, aint it?

i've told many friends that once they get through the divorce, they'll be absolutely shocked at how much money they have left. and then you will truely know now much they were taking advantage of ya.

you never really know your wife until you have faced her in divorce court. and THAT is a fact.

as far as stuff a fellow owns, i will agree that one of the most liberating things i experienced was losing it all in the divorce. i never replaced it. the truth is, the stuff you own, in reality, owns you. debt free or not. think of all the time spent maintaining stuff, fixing shit, upkeep and whatnot. holy fuck, next to women, it's the second biggest drain on your life.

I have guns. Reloading stuff. A boat. A Jeep. A camper. A expidition. A house. And three kids. Only making payments on The Expedition and House.

Wife makes as much money as me.

The secret?

Ask yourself if that’s really a hill you want to die on.

+1

Will be hitting #29 in Dec

Reactions: jumpermed
Good post, and a general philosophy I try to live by. I really think there are a lot of people that put excessive emphasis on having shit. My girlfriend (of 12 years) and I both had parents with a lot of shit who never got rid of anything. As a consequence we will not move into an apartment/house of more than 1000 sqft because it forces us to optimize what we own. Simultaneously it is easier to pick up and move across the country for work when you can fit what you own in two vehicles. We have made two 1,000+ miles move in the past 4 years.

Along the same lines of freedom, before I make any purchase I do a quick calculation in my head of approximately how many hours of my life I have to spend working to buy that item. Do I want that newer truck when it costs me $30,000? What about when it costs me 754 hours of my life, or 94 eight hour work days that I am not out hunting, fishing, or shooting? That is almost equivalent to spending everyday hunting for an entire small game hunting season. I think that my 20 year old truck will work for now.

I have refrained from buying a motorboat, not because of the price, but because I don't want to buy a house with a big enough garage to store it. Plus all the extra shit I would have to get to go along with it. The consequence? I fish from a kayak. Sure I can't access all the same spots as easily, but there are other areas I can go to that boats cannot. And there is nothing like landing a 7.5 foot sturgeon that weighs more than you from a fucking kayak.

I went from being homeless and living in my car to making Doctors and Lawyers money.

My son is leaving for the Corps in 5 months and all this creeping consumerism is fucking leaving with him. Selling the cars, the house, all but the gun shit I absolutely love, and getting a tiny house in the woods of Idaho.

Once I have enough to retire in a zero debt no payments lifestyle I’m going to get a job where I actually do some good for this world instead of the bullshit paper chase that is my now.

Well you fellas have some good points about young women these days.
I am not that young, my girlfriend is 4 yrs older, and she is far more awesome than any woman I have ever known. Working in hospitals since 18 I have been around a lot of them and have seen crazy like we often laugh about on here. I am fully aware of how this all goes.
If you read, I didnt say how to find one, just to find the right one.
I did say I think I know how to get along with one, treat her well, and stay married. It is what works for me and how I choose to live my life.
If you haven't seen that many men treat their wives like crap or at least don't even act like a man, then we just see different parts of the world.

I have been married. Thank God I am not anymore. My ex is just plain crazy and there was no keeping her happy. She never will be, no matter what. Its the way she is wired. She was the kind who pretended to be something until we were married.

I know a guy who knows how to stay married too. He doesn’t do anything his wife doesn’t tell him to and follows her orders to the T immediately and without comment regardless of how crazy it is.

Then he smokes weed all night after she goes to bed to make up for the fact he is a gutless coward and his life would make a good introductory plot to a movie where the main characters husband committed suicide and she just couldn’t figure out why?

Frankly, looks like he’s got the marriage thing figured out. It’s watching what he does to make his marriage “successful” that lights the way for me.

I have a beautiful woman coming over today - she wants me to work on her car which I will do since it’s a source of income. She also wants to take me to dinner and watch a movie. I’m going to let her know once her car is done that I’m busy later tonight and can’t hang out with her. If she gets real pushy and asks me what I’m doing that’s more important than her I’m going to say “being happy”.

Well you fellas have some good points about young women these days.
I am not that young, my girlfriend is 4 yrs older, and she is far more awesome than any woman I have ever known. Working in hospitals since 18 I have been around a lot of them and have seen crazy like we often laugh about on here. I am fully aware of how this all goes.
If you read, I didnt say how to find one, just to find the right one.
I did say I think I know how to get along with one, treat her well, and stay married. It is what works for me and how I choose to live my life.
If you haven't seen that many men treat their wives like crap or at least don't even act like a man, then we just see different parts of the world.

I have been married. Thank God I am not anymore. My ex is just plain crazy and there was no keeping her happy. She never will be, no matter what. Its the way she is wired. She was the kind who pretended to be something until we were married.

Well, sucks for that guy you know.

I don't care to have a big internet discussion on how peoples marriages suck because of what they choose. I see guys like that all the time too. Doesn't mean mine will be the same. I live way outside the box of what many would call normal.

I laugh every time I see a motivational speaker. Have one brought into work every other year, and most don't know if their Arsehole is drilled or punched.

Reactions: gunman_7
Eh. I see a lot of successful marriages too. Those seem to be the extremely religious people I know. Folks chasing after their 13th kid sort of thing.

The other good ones I have seen were some guys I knew in Brazil. Americans would go down there for work and get married...if they dodged the first 2 or 3 women that showed up who were looking for a plane ticket out and actually got to know someone’s sister or something it actually seemed to work out very well for them.

I’m not trying to be some asshole though about your marriage - if you got a good one congrats. It’s like picking up a rust free mint condition unrestored 67 mustang from Chicago for $1200.

I thought mine was "okay" until she just walked out with no explanation, no nothing. Was served hours later. That's what I got for fifteen years. She had it tough, maybe I could have done better too, but a lack of communication and respect is just marking time for the big D. In retrospect, I could have pulled the same shit she did but figured it was still worth saving because I sincerely cared about her and knew she was having a hard time. I'm also the type that doesn't quit though. Ever. As long as she said "I love you" then it was worth fighting for I figured. It was the last thing she said; I was served hours later. How do I reconcile that? How can you?

Yet at the same time, I can't ignore what she's done for me over the years. The good things. Were they genuine? If so I'm grateful. I do wish her the best, but don't understand why it happened the way it did. Don't understand how I became the enemy overnight seemingly. Why do I feel hurt, screwed, but at the same time okay? God, it's mixed bag of emotions I just can't figure out.

The words "I love you", they've been rendered hollow. I'll probably never get married again, it's just putting myself in a bad position to do so. Probably never say "I love you" to another girl, and unfortunately don't want to hear it either.

I could go on. But in short, yes, what you own does end up owning you. All the things collected in marriage over time, much of it becomes a burden after the divorce, but in some cases there's no turning back. You also have the non-tangible items you carry around, "emotional baggage" you pick up along the way.

Sometimes I want to liquidate it all, but it's been my life's work. Without shooting, I really have no other reason to live other than to sit on the computer alone and watch Netflix alone. What kind of life is that? It has to be more fulfilling, you know? More to it? Shooting was always my escape, my zen, where I could get lost for hours in shooting and loading. It's my therapy? And it's my security in an uncertain world.

I really don't know what the future holds for me. But I'm glad to have brothers on this site that give a shit and are willing to help me in my hour of need, I'm damn grateful. And I envy those of you that have the good marriage, the honest and solid one.

I honestly think done right, shooting is the zen version of the antithesis of the owning shit until you drown mantra.

I only have a few guns, but I love every one of them and I rock them every weekend. Its pretty much my life right now. Going and doing = better than junk collecting.

Reactions: Strykervet
keep that chin up, stryker. i had very dark times, too.

best thing you can do is re-discover yourself. do the things you used to love to do, before you selflessly poured your time and money into making her happy.

it's time for you to make YOU happy again. shooting is a good start. invest in yourself again. and get together with your friends. that includes us here. but, make sure you get out and get some face to face time.

keep that chin up, stryker. i had very dark times, too.

best thing you can do is re-discover yourself. do the things you used to love to do, before you selflessly poured your time and money into making her happy.

it's time for you to make YOU happy again. shooting is a good start. invest in yourself again. and get together with your friends. that includes us here. but, make sure you get out and get some face to face time.

Thanks man, that's good advice and shooting has been a staple in my life since age 8. I've been trying but haven't been up to loading or shooting or really doing much of anything... I've been busy with just everyday stuff and have to handle it all alone now. I also am trying my damndest to save every cent I get, so all shooting has been put on hold at least until this is over and the earliest will be March 20. I need to be in a position to handle the unexpected because this all caught me off guard; never again.

I do appreciate the support and that's damn good advice and I do expect to follow up on it. I've tried reaching out to friends but the time I spent isolated from everyone, well, the years intervened. So I'm pretty much alone, feel like I'm starting over. That's good and bad, but I guess I have to make the most of it.

But I understand the hard times make us appreciate the good times, to not take them for granted. Just wish the hard times passed faster!

Reactions: myronman3
I laugh every time I see a motivational speaker. Have one brought into work every other year, and most don't know if their Arsehole is drilled or punched.

Same thing with "Sales/Motivational Speakers"......The management of the company I work for is so weak that they bring in one of those dinks every year for our annual sales meeting. When we first start, I always like to ask them (in front of everyone) that if they were so successful at sales, why aren't they still doing it? Not PC, but it's good for a bunch of shocked responses and guffaws from the audience. They all know I'm going to do it and they have started to encourage me each year. Those seminars are 4 hours of my life and $5K to $10K that my company and I will never get back. Had one of them, years ago, talk about changing/improving old habits. You know; "Continually upgrading/improving your life". Know what he told us his watershed moment in his professional career was ? Eliminating his daily purchase of a Snickers bar from the Roach Coach every morning at 10:30 AM. Jesus, I'd rather spend 4 hours looking at naked pictures Nancy Pelosi........

Last edited:
Same thing with "Sales/Motivational Speakers"......The management of the company I work for is so weak that that they bring in one of those dinks every year for our annual sales meeting. When we first start, I always like to ask them (in front of everyone) that if they were so successful at sales, why aren't they still doing it? Not PC, but it's good for a bunch of shocked responses and guffaws from the audience. They all know I'm going to do it and they have started to encourage me each year. Those seminars are 4 hours of my life and $5K to $10K that my company and I will never get back. Had one of them, years ago, talk about changing/improving old habits. You know; "Continually upgrading/improving your life". Know what he told us his watershed moment in his professional career was ? Eliminating his daily purchase of a Snickers bar from the Roach Coach every morning at 10:30 AM. Jesus, I'd rather spend 4 hours looking at naked pictures Nancy Pelosi........

That's fucking funny. Back when I did alarms, they hired Zig Ziegler (sp?) to "motivate" the sales. It didn't do SHIT. What worked was hiring real salesmen, the best IME were former carnie workers from NY/NJ --those guys were given random shit daily and had to sell it or starve. They were GOOD, one guy sold so many I had to double my install team.

I thought the same thing though, I always do, "if you're so damn good, why are you here?". If you REALLY wanna know, just watch "Wolf of Wall Street". When he couldn't scam others anymore, that's the line of work he went into! It's a confidence game played on companies instead of individuals, that's it.

I do have a book I'm working on recommended by a member on here but he's skeptical of this stuff too but said it has good stuff in it so I took him up on it. Plus it was written by a former soldier so I doubt his watershed moment had anything at all to do with a gut truck.

It's a confidence game played on companies instead of individuals, that's it.

Good point, I meant say something about that in my previous post, slipped my mind. IME, when management brings in "consultants", it's consistently evident that management is clueless and their belief is that somehow, the consultant's spiel will magically solve all of the ("perceived"/imagined) problems in the sales organization. When in reality, the problem is the sales manager that is a micromanaging, resource hogging, bumbling idiot. I'm 61 and I'm getting closer to just telling my sales manager that I don't want to hear from him and I don't want him in my territory, unless I call him.

BTW, "Zig Ziegler"........Now that's a schtick name if I've ever heard one. I've heard it before, but I can't say I've ever had the "pleasure" of attending one of his seminars.

Good point, I meant say something about that in my previous post, slipped my mind. IME, when management brings in "consultants", it's consistently evident that management is clueless and their belief is that somehow, the consultant's spiel will magically solve all of the ("perceived"/imagined) problems in the sales organization. When in reality, the problem is the sales manager that is a micromanaging, resource hogging, bumbling idiot. I'm 61 and I'm getting closer to just telling my sales manager that I don't want to hear from him and I don't want him in my territory, unless I call him.

BTW, "Zig Ziegler"........Now that's a schtick name if I've ever heard one. I've heard it before, but I can't say I've ever had the "pleasure" of attending one of his seminars.

Oh, Zig! He's the man, didn't you know? ADT hired this guy! You've heard the "ABC's of sales --Always Be Closing?" I think that's his, it was quoted in Glengarry Glenross. It became our sales force's mantra, but it did them no good. Sales is hard, especially door knocking. But those damn street hucksters, didn't make them a bit of difference.

But yeah, you NAILED it, obvious you've been there, done that.

You should take over sales management, fly out to Coney Island or wherever they have street hucksters, and pick the best. I SWEAR those are the best salesmen there are. They just need a little fine tuning so they can be presentable in a customer's home or business. They don't take no for an answer, they explain it well and get you interested, they do it all. The best can even do their magic over the phone. Seminars are a HUGE waste of time on these guys.

Oh, Zig! He's the man, didn't you know? ADT hired this guy! You've heard the "ABC's of sales --Always Be Closing?" I think that's his, it was quoted in Glengarry Glenross. It became our sales force's mantra, but it did them no good. Sales is hard, especially door knocking. But those damn street hucksters, didn't make them a bit of difference.

But yeah, you NAILED it, obvious you've been there, done that.

You should take over sales management, fly out to Coney Island or wherever they have street hucksters, and pick the best. I SWEAR those are the best salesmen there are. They just need a little fine tuning so they can be presentable in a customer's home or business. They don't take no for an answer, they explain it well and get you interested, they do it all. The best can even do their magic over the phone. Seminars are a HUGE waste of time on these guys.

"ABC's of sales --Always Be Closing"; Yeah, I have heard of it. Yech....I gotta go shower now.....

Glengarry Glenross; One of my all time, favorite movies. Jesus, the acting is just phenomenal.

you've been there, done that; Yeah, a lot of years doing it. Difference being though is that I/we are in a technical sales field, project based, where the typical gestation period of a project is 3 years. The huckster approach doesn't work very well in this field (power electronics). Try and get SM to understand that though. Good luck.

You should take over sales management; Thanks for the compliment, but NO FUCKING WAY. Like I said, I'm 61 and would like to continue working another 4 (maybe 5) years, doing just exactly what I'm doing now. I like what I'm doing, like the territory, like (most of) my customers and I don't need the headaches of being a direct report to upper management. They are the ones that made the conscious decision to hire the simpleton we have in the SM position now. Uhhh, no thanks. I work the West Coast, HQ is on the East Coast, which gives me the benefit of a 2500 mile filter. That 2500 miles buffers a lot of bullshit. World HQ is in Nuremberg, so I get two or three trips there a year.

Our sales force is made up of some pretty good guys. The best way to manage any sales force is to let them off the chain and go tear strips out of the world. We know what to do and how to do it. Just stay the fuck out of the way and make yourself into a resource, not an impediment.

Last edited:
30 years this Feb 26

As we matured, so did the relationship. We truly enjoy spending time with each other. Hunting season this year was awesome, as we shared a blind for almost all of her hunts.