• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SELLER BEWARE: gemby58 aka Greg Miller aka Gregory B. Gemberling

Das Capitolin

Target + Tactical
Minuteman
May 14, 2011
Northern Nevada
gunwarrior.com
Back in August 2013 I sold a new take-off H-S Precision PSV118 stock on eBay to Mr. Gregory B. Gemberling (aka Greg Miller). After presenting himself as a gunsmith we corresponded with the specifics of the stock and he made purchase. I shipped to the address PayPal directed me (New Market Street, Freeburg, PA) using FedEx ground service with full insurance. Days later I received an email notification that the package was delivered, but within ten minutes after that I got a phone call from the buyer stating the package was not delivered and he was going to open a PayPal claim. He even went so far as to say his town only has about three-hundred residents, and there's an identical street address at "Market St" that his packages get delivered to instead of "New Market St". Shortly after the phone call, the buyer wrote me an email stating I should have got adult signature service because I'll never be able to prove it was delivered to him. He told me not to worry, because FedEx would pay my insurance claim. This raised alarm with me, and I contacted PayPal who told me the email was not sent through the eBay system so it would not be considered.

So I contacted FedEx and filed an insurance claim, while PayPal sat on the open case. During this time, the buyer claimed that he contacted FedEx and was told I had already been paid for my insurance claim. He then began writing me emails demanding a refund, to which I responded the claim was still pending. Days later the FedEx investigation concluded that the driver, in full view of his trainee assistant, had handed the package over to Mr. Gemberling at his doorstep. The driver's documented delivery and investigation statement resulted in FedEx denying my insurance claim. I wrote back to [email protected], who also goes by the alias gemby58, but he dismissed my accusation and told me that next time I should ship with adult signature if I want to win a claim. Follow-up emails to the buyer received responses mocking my lack understanding how the eBay claim system works.

Based on his many email messages and phone call, it was clear that once the package arrived without any adult signature requirement he took full advantage of the PayPal claims system he was familiar with and expected FedEx to pay the insurance claim, making it a 'harmless' offence... except that FedEx proved the package was hand-delivered to him and PayPal disregarded their insurance investigation because their sole requirement is an adult signature on items over $250.

Since I collected all of the correspondence and documentation, I considered taking my case to the attorney general in Pennsylvania, but decided that approximately $400 in loss was not worth the hassle of bringing suit against him all the from the west coast. I learned my lesson, got burned by a so-called 2A supporter, and decided to do business differently henceforth. You've all been warned!

Reactions: jwp475
I'm sorry to hear you got burned in such a way. Theirs always a scammer out there. I would think if it was signed for, then that should be the end of story with paypal. Certainly you can give paypal the information from the delivery driver that confirmed he did receive it.

I'm sorry to hear you got burned in such a way. Theirs always a scammer out there. I would think if it was signed for, then that should be the end of story with paypal. Certainly you can give paypal the information from the delivery driver that confirmed he did receive it.

That's the problem: it was not signed for, which is all PayPal cares about. They received the FedEx insurance investigation, but it was not relative to their policy requirements. Lesson learned for next time.

Semper Fidelis

Reactions: jwp475
Well then. I am proposing we at snipers hide start building a fund to help protect against this. It might not cover all the losses, but maybe we can put together a buyers/sellers protection service. Where people who have bought, and are solid known reliable members can get something. I would be willing to put in a couple dollars for this.

Well then. I am proposing we at snipers hide start building a fund to help protect against this. It might not cover all the losses, but maybe we can put together a buyers/sellers protection service. Where people who have bought, and are solid known reliable members can get something. I would be willing to put in a couple dollars for this.
For people who depend heavily on the funds of a sale, that's a very good idea. I'm thankful that my livelihood does not depend on these transactions, but I felt compelled to warn others after discovering this individual buys/sells items online.

Paypal is as anti-gun as institution as you can find, outside of the actual anti-gun lobbying associations. This is widely known and documented. Even outside of the firearms industry, they are largely regarded as crooks. I'm really at a loss why any of my fellow gun owning brothers and sisters would ever attempt any transaction involving that company.

So basically this piece of shit told you: "If you didn't want me to steal you should have made it impossible for me to do so." What a scumfuck. Thanks for sharing the story, sincere condolences to you.

Low life piece of shit!!
Sorry man, thanks for putting the word out.

What's his address in PA?

I won't post it here, but the OP gave enough info to figure it out rather quickly via a common search engine (hint: there is a name, street, and town in the original post).

I think this happens more than people realize. I sold a 4wd electronic actuator for a four wheeler on ebay awhile back. Sold it for around $100 BNIB. 6 months after the transaction, I get a notice from Paypal stating that the buyer disputed the charge on his Visa because he never received the part. I gave Paypal the delivery confirmation to prove they received the part. I thought this was a done deal. 2 weeks later, Paypal tells me the buyer is now stating that the part was received but broken or non-working. Paypal removes the money from my account and sides with the buyer because his credit card company refused to pay. So basically it's obvious to everyone involved that the buyer lied but since his credit card company sided with him, paypal won't do a thing for you. Far too many people out there know how to cheat the system and take advantage of honest folks.

If you have USAA pay with a check. They will back you on it. I have had to call them twice to dispute sales. Once I bought something, once I sold something. Both times USAA went to bat for me, and cleared it up. Just so you guys know.

I had this happen once with an eBay transaction concerning a rather inexpensive auto part (I think it was a $50ish nitrous solenoid). I shipped the part to the buyer, who promptly filed a claim the same day that the part was delivered. I spent a couple of hours on pulling together the documentation that was requested by eBay/PayPal, and the money was eventually returned to my account. It was clearly a shitbag move on behalf of the buyer, whose account was promptly terminated by eBay.

Needless to say, I have found that the buying and selling experiences on forums such as this are far more pleasant than dealing with the unwashed masses.

I sold a Kimber on GB and used PayPal for payment. Once I saw the funds cleared on PayPal, I shipped the gun. Well, I didn't realize the gentleman wrote "Kimber" somewhere on PayPal(I was new to PP) . They took my money back out of my account and to this day, I have not been paid. I contacted the buyer and he was like... "my bad, oh well... Thanks".

I sold a Kimber on GB and used PayPal for payment. Once I saw the funds cleared on PayPal, I shipped the gun. Well, I didn't realize the gentleman wrote "Kimber" somewhere on PayPal(I was new to PP) . They took my money back out of my account and to this day, I have not been paid. I contacted the buyer and he was like... "my bad, oh well... Thanks".

Contact the AG in the state of the sale.

We should have a section for bad people! Maybe a place that will show with names in a search?

Detracted....for now

Last edited:
Hate to read about instances like these. Not much worse in my book than a thief.

That user name Gemby58 sounds familiar. For those that frequent the 24hrcampfire forum, has he been involved in some sheot over there? That name sounds too familiar.

Screw Paypal. USPS MO or an escrow account.

I use paypal all the time. The trick to protecting yourself is this:

When you go to checkout there is a place where it says "Pay now" or "Change". Since they require a credit card as a back up I always "change" it to my Amex card. That way I both get points, and have Amex to back it up. They have saved me a couple of times. They take care of their customers.

I use paypal all the time. The trick to protecting yourself is this:

When you go to checkout there is a place where it says "Pay now" or "Change". Since they require a credit card as a back up I always "change" it to my Amex card. That way I both get points, and have Amex to back it up. They have saved me a couple of times. They take care of their customers.

you can also pay with an electronic check. Takes about 3 days to clear, but your bank can back you this way. USAA protects you from fraud even when you use a check. Plus you avoid the fees.

How did this go from somebody trying to cheat a seller to ways to pay securely as a buyer. I swear some of you have the attention span of a goldfish.

How did this go from somebody trying to cheat a seller to ways to pay securely as a buyer. I swear some of you have the attention span of a goldfish.

I believe the term is"morphing", as in "The thread morphed from one topic to another."