• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Selling things outside the PX -- A SH history homily.

sirhrmechanic

Command Sgt. Major
Minuteman
So after reading another twat-waffle's whiny little bitch post about how he was stuck with the 6.5 Manbun rifle when he really wanted something else... (how do you buy the 'wrong caliber' in a rifle, anyway?) it occurs to me that with our huge new member population, a history of the PX and why it's so rigidly enforced might be in order. Because it speaks to why things are the way they are. And why this community is protective of our PX and associated rules.

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away our HMFWIC created Snipers Hide. And it was good. And it attracted good people and times were good. Those people swapped state-of-the-art information on rifles, optics, accessories, ammunition, reloading, bipods, web gear... and tactics, methods and tips. And times were good. One could say that the realm of the precision tactical marksman had moved from the dark recesses of the .mil and .LE communities... making its way to a group of people who wanted to pit their skills against, not so much each other, but against physics and the science of ballistics. Many of those skills and much of that knowledge fed back into the .mil and .LE communities and helped save countless lives downrange as the entire science of tactical marksmanship flourished over the past 25 years. And it was good.

These same people also began to sell rifles, optics, accessories, etc. Mainly among friends. And with the confidence that among this tight community, noone was going to get ripped off. A man's word was his bond. An 'I'll Take it" constituted an ironclad handshake, even between two men, sometimes warriors, who never even met. As it should be.

Then, after 9/11 and a few years of deployments and news stories and gun magazine stories about legendary snipery topics.. the community grew by leaps and bounds. More people coming in to learn and take the sport (and the tactical science) to the next level. Rifle, scope, ammo, accessory development entered a golden age where advancements seemed to come weekly in one area or another. New calibers, new platforms, chassis, new optics. Much of it driven right here on SH.

But with growth came some downsides. The community got large enough that it was seen as a target market. And what had been a nice, cozy, trustworthy buying and selling community became like Craigs List for all kinds of crap. Newbies were dropping in by the hundreds and offering junk for sale or, worse, offering scams. Surprise, right? This is the Internet. No fooling... scammers show up. The issue is that our HMFWIC bore the brunt of these scams... and his beloved community risked getting a reputation as being just another POS gun site on the Interwebs. So the community rallied and started to put in some rules.

First, they ruled that in order to buy, sell, trade here, you had to have 100 posts. Seems like a good idea. That way you can see if the person you are buying from is really a 'community' contributor. And that didn't work.

Why? Because the little scammers, trolls and "rules don't apply to me" douche bags who would later grow manbuns... would put up posts like "Tag" or "Ditto" or "#me Too" (probably only the ones who were molested). And within a day, they were going "But I have 100 posts... I have this awesome scope to sell at 3X USO MSRP because I managed to scam one." And people were again getting ripped off and pissed off and we were getting a reputation for being a douche-magnet.

So... the rule went into place that you have to have 100 Meaningful posts. Figuring that weeding out the peckerheads by their content would be something that could be spotted easily. Nope... Folks would come on and post semi-meaningful blather and would shoot to get to 100 posts in 2 hours... and on the 101st post would be their item for sale in the PX... or 20 items. Along with a "Ha Ha HMFWIC and SH assholes... I followed your little rules and here I am, selling my crap... ." And again, instead of contributing to the Community, these folks did nothing but turn The 'Hide into eBay... all while getting into spats, disputes, complaints that made the HMFWIC's life difficult.

And before we go into how this started to resolve itself... it should be noted that all during this time, the PX and "Sales" were not making our Leader any money. He didn't charge for storefronts. He didn't take a percentage. He didn't get a Commercial Vendor Fee or a 3 percent skim off the top like eBay or Gunbroker. So he got all the headaches brought on by the "Used Car Salesmen" who dumped all over the PX. And no benefit whatsoever. In fact, a net negative, because the BS in the PX spilled over into General Population and threatened the reputation of the SH Community. And without that reputation, he (and our residents) got nothing. We become a crap site like so many others.

So... the natural answer is to shut down the PX. Ban selling and trades and other 'commerce' all together. Boom! All the headaches go away. It is a very real and valid option. And one that if I had been the HMFWIC I'd have probably done, because I don't have his patience and tolerance. But the community rose up and begged to keep the PX. Me among them. Because I've gotten some great deals on reloading stuff and I find the PX to be a very useful place not just as a buyer but for information as well. "We'll follow the rules HMFWIC, we all said. Please, don't take our PX. Come up with a plan! But let us keep our PX!" And the HMFWIC relented and we got to keep our PX. And it was good.

But, of course, in the post-Scout world and in the COVID world, the interest in the subject has gone through the roof. The sign-up numbers are in the tens of thousands a month. A million new members pouring into our community. This means more opportunities for HMFIC. More visibility for his sponsors and his videos and classes and events. And it is very good!

Except with the PX. Because all of a sudden, this influx of new blood (90 percent of which is awesome) is accompanied by scammers, Nigerian Warlords, eBay sellers, man-bun-wearing douche-nozzles with 6.5's who think they are above petty rules. And the HMFWIC's life is, again, not copasetic.

"Don't shut the PX down," says the community. "We love the PX. Come up with something..." So the HMFIC creates a new banner and category for folks called "Hessians" who are allowed to buy accounts to sell in the PX 'up front.' Hessians, BTW, was a blatant insult intended to brand these folks as being purely mercenary... and willing to sell out for a few bucks. But, many wore the tag to continue to post for sale and trade, etc. items in the PX. And the community was happy. Mostly. Except for those who skirted the rules. And those who sold crap. And those who were scammers. And, again, the HMFIC was getting headaches from the PX.

"Please, don't shut our PX Down," says the community. "We love our PX. Please don't kill it! Even though it is the bane of your existence. We'll follow the rules."

So the 100 post rule goes away. The 'time you are a member' goes away. Hessians go away. Everything goes away. Now, you pay a membership to post in the PX. Which is still a PITA. But at least our dear leader is now getting some compensation for the bovine scatology he has to endure daily from the little PX spats and people scamming and selling garbage. Hey, at least he can also say "Those aren't members of the community, they're just used gear salesmen... "

And we get to keep our PX. Of course, it is now more of a minefield than it every was. Handshakes aren't ironclad. And one has to watch their a$$ because that pistol you buy from Alaska might not exist at all... and some MFer is using SH to do what every thieving scum-weasel on the Internet does... Steal shit and scam people. It's what they do. But for those of use who are smart enough... there are still great deals and great people on the PX... and joining SH every day. Did I mention 10 percent.

But, as in all things. there's always those few guys. The douche-weasels who go "I'll create a workaround by creating a 'state-by-state' marketplace. Or "Noone will notice if I come here and put a "For Sale" line hidden at the bottom of my first post. I'm above the rules." And more importantly are willing to say, right in public... right to the whole community in their posts: "I am openly stealing from Frank Galli and putting the PX at Risk by being an asshole and I don't care because the rules don't apply to me.

And when the community... the same community that values its PX and is here because the castle that our HMFWIC built is an amazing place... calls some little peckerhead thief on his actions... they get all antsy in their little skinny jeans and call out the community.

We are protecting our PX and our community for a reason. And here is some news for the little thieves who think stealing from Frank and Shitting in our nest is a good idea. Some folks here protect this community pretty ruthlessly. The level of vitriol that you will find can be epic. And you will never come back. Moreover, your idiocy will be preserved for all to see. A virtual head-on-a-pike, Dracula style around the Transylvania castle. And we'll have fun doing it.

So please, new members... Join us in droves. Come and contribute! Become part of the community and revered members. Learn, shoot, grow, contribute to a growing sport. Buy (and earn) the right to use the PX and use it wisely. Be Snipers Hide.

The 10 percent of you who think you are above us all and show up here to steal and throw arrows? Game on, cupcakes.

Thus endeth the lesson. And all is good.

Sirhr

PS... My apologies for any details I got wrong on the PX history... I missed the first decade here... coming in with the first wave of newbies... and only just overlapping with many of the founding legends. So some of you real early folks, please correct my oversights. And, last, thanks HMFWIC for putting up with us. And for keeping the PX when it would have been much easier to nuke it long ago! Hey, I'm going shopping now!

10 out of 10

Hit the nail right on the head.

I havent been able to contribute a lot since last summer due to my seizures and not being able to shoot, but you are spot on.

Doc

My days of buying on the hide are prob over. As my taste for finer things has grown so have my fears of getting scammed. Shitty. I got some great deals here or just access to things I can’t get in my smaller town.
Sadly your statement is spot on. As financial hardships occur in the economy, so does the scamming.

Just my opinion and what I've seen.

Doc

I have an idea.
SH brokered exchange service.

Central agent that gets money and item. Verifies content, provides pictures. Then after buyer agrees, sends item and money to end parties. Small fee to handle double mailing and time. Obviously only makes sense on pricier items due to double mailing.

P.S. I don't qualify as I own a 6.5.

I posted a WTB ad yesterday, just got a reply from a brand new member(paint isnt dry yet) that [email protected] has what I am looking for ;) Yeah I'm all over that.... NOT

I got that early this morning, knowing it was a scam, thought I’d play along and piss this guy off.
Sent him an email acting like I was interested, got an email back saying, “sorry man, I sold that yesterday.” Lol... You never know. (So don’t take chances. Ever.)

I posted a WTB ad yesterday, just got a reply from a brand new member(paint isnt dry yet) that [email protected] has what I am looking for ;) Yeah I'm all over that.... NOT

I'm going to go out on a limb and say the days of being able to post a WTB or WTT ad outside of private PM groups where everybody knows people personally, is probably almost over. Pretty much any forum you go to these days, everybody agrees, putting up a WTB add is like a giant bat signal for every scam artist and Nigerian wannabe to come and try to rip you off.

I’ve been here since 2009 and have never had a bad PX experience. Haven’t been in much lately but I’ll definitely keep my eye open for scum bags. Great post Sihr!

Since '07' here and nothing but good experiences. If I were to buy again Id be sure it was from someone thats been here at leat five years and Ive seen post a lot.

Reactions: brettb614
I agree with everything except the 6.5 manbun. I am disheartened by the level of disrespect this cartridge gets. It hurts me personally when people don’t like everything I say or choose to use. I spent hours with my therapist crying and gut wrenching anxiety over not fitting in with the crowd of precision rifle shooters. I lay awake at night with my hot ass wife being buck naked while sipping a drink watching best of pigeons on Nat Geo while I type this out and make you guys think I give a fuk about what you say about my 6.5 Man bun. All I can say is at least it ain’t the 6 Gay Tiger.

I agree with everything except the 6.5 manbun. I am disheartened by the level of disrespect this cartridge gets. It hurts me personally when people don’t like everything I say or choose to use. I spent hours with my therapist crying and gut wrenching anxiety over not fitting in with the crowd of precision rifle shooters. I lay awake at night with my hot ass wife being buck naked while sipping a drink watching best of pigeons on Nat Geo while I type this out and make you guys think I give a fuk about what you say about my 6.5 Man bun. All I can say is at least it ain’t the 6 Gay Tiger.
You forgot to mention duct tape.......

Lotion.gif

F321C9F8-B444-45F8-B227-4E437EAEA21E.gif

I'm going to go out on a limb and say the days of being able to post a WTB or WTT ad outside of private PM groups where everybody knows people personally, is probably almost over. Pretty much any forum you go to these days, everybody agrees, putting up a WTB add is like a giant bat signal for every scam artist and Nigerian wannabe to come and try to rip you off.
I don’t belong to any private PM group :(
Must be my tone.

I’ve bought and sold a lot on here. If I see something I want to try, I buy it and end up selling much of it back later for the same or at least close to what I paid. What I don’t get back is my rental fee. It’s all play money and for fun anyhow.

I support my LGS for the most part. I have bought from several vendors here in occasion. The only thing I would buy from the PX is probably a crew served weapon if I can figure out what to do with it.
The only person that I would trust for that transaction probably isn't letting go of the ones he has. So I pretty much keep away from the PX.

I support my LGS for the most part. I have bought from several vendors here in occasion. The only thing I would buy from the PX is probably a crew served weapon if I can figure out what to do with it.
The only person that I would trust for that transaction probably isn't letting go of the ones he has. So I pretty much keep away from the PX.
I have one. Send $30,000 in vanilla gift cards and your shipping address. Pm sent.

Good post, but screw you guys, I ain't sellin anything !

1622920379522.png

Fine, we will wait until you are dead. And then just take it.

Reactions: Bender
I shoot 6.5. Let me go in the corner and fuck myself now ☹️
It's ok sir... At least it's not an 8.6 BLK!

If there is one thing that we've seen here it's that 6.5 Creedmore shooters have thick skins, put up with a ton of ribbing... and stick up for their caliber! What more can one ask for?

Wonder if there is like a 6.5 pride flag out there? Maybe a group buy thing? ;-)

Sirhr

I’m pretty new here, and to long range shooting, more of a lurker. I accidentally bought something before I should have because I didn’t read the rules like a dick. A friend on another forum sent me a link and I bought a co-ax. I’m pretty trusting of guys with high post counts and long tenure. As a noob, I find that it helps to buy and pay promptly, try to get engaged in the forum, that’s the best way to build trust. That and admitting that I have a 6.5 fag, it’s a gas gun too.

It's ok sir... At least it's not an 8.6 BLK!

If there is one thing that we've seen here it's that 6.5 Creedmore shooters have thick skins, put up with a ton of ribbing... and stick up for their caliber! What more can one ask for?

Wonder if there is like a 6.5 pride flag out there? Maybe a group buy thing? ;-)

Sirhr
A good neck tie would hold that thick skin down , scope would look a lot clearer.

Well said, sir! I've had good luck on the PX but that was back pre-rona. Now? I ain't selling shit so it doesn't matter.

I have had some people give me great advice on here, and also offered to help with gunsmithing projects or give me a heads up about a good place or person to get in contact with in my area.
I have sold quite a few opened/not full boxes of bullets.
I met a guy from here and bought power in a parking lot.
I had a guy send me a couple boxes of bullets (for free) when I asked about what shot good.
Haven't had anybody try to scam me yet.
Thank you guys for being good people.

Cut a hole in your vehicles roof amd mount it up there....duh🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Doc

So after reading another twat-waffle's whiny little bitch post about how he was stuck with the 6.5 Manbun rifle when he really wanted something else... (how do you buy the 'wrong caliber' in a rifle, anyway?) it occurs to me that with our huge new member population, a history of the PX and why it's so rigidly enforced might be in order. Because it speaks to why things are the way they are. And why this community is protective of our PX and associated rules.

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away our HMFWIC created Snipers Hide. And it was good. And it attracted good people and times were good. Those people swapped state-of-the-art information on rifles, optics, accessories, ammunition, reloading, bipods, web gear... and tactics, methods and tips. And times were good. One could say that the realm of the precision tactical marksman had moved from the dark recesses of the .mil and .LE communities... making its way to a group of people who wanted to pit their skills against, not so much each other, but against physics and the science of ballistics. Many of those skills and much of that knowledge fed back into the .mil and .LE communities and helped save countless lives downrange as the entire science of tactical marksmanship flourished over the past 25 years. And it was good.

These same people also began to sell rifles, optics, accessories, etc. Mainly among friends. And with the confidence that among this tight community, noone was going to get ripped off. A man's word was his bond. An 'I'll Take it" constituted an ironclad handshake, even between two men, sometimes warriors, who never even met. As it should be.

Then, after 9/11 and a few years of deployments and news stories and gun magazine stories about legendary snipery topics.. the community grew by leaps and bounds. More people coming in to learn and take the sport (and the tactical science) to the next level. Rifle, scope, ammo, accessory development entered a golden age where advancements seemed to come weekly in one area or another. New calibers, new platforms, chassis, new optics. Much of it driven right here on SH.

But with growth came some downsides. The community got large enough that it was seen as a target market. And what had been a nice, cozy, trustworthy buying and selling community became like Craigs List for all kinds of crap. Newbies were dropping in by the hundreds and offering junk for sale or, worse, offering scams. Surprise, right? This is the Internet. No fooling... scammers show up. The issue is that our HMFWIC bore the brunt of these scams... and his beloved community risked getting a reputation as being just another POS gun site on the Interwebs. So the community rallied and started to put in some rules.

First, they ruled that in order to buy, sell, trade here, you had to have 100 posts. Seems like a good idea. That way you can see if the person you are buying from is really a 'community' contributor. And that didn't work.

Why? Because the little scammers, trolls and "rules don't apply to me" douche bags who would later grow manbuns... would put up posts like "Tag" or "Ditto" or "#me Too" (probably only the ones who were molested). And within a day, they were going "But I have 100 posts... I have this awesome scope to sell at 3X USO MSRP because I managed to scam one." And people were again getting ripped off and pissed off and we were getting a reputation for being a douche-magnet.

So... the rule went into place that you have to have 100 Meaningful posts. Figuring that weeding out the peckerheads by their content would be something that could be spotted easily. Nope... Folks would come on and post semi-meaningful blather and would shoot to get to 100 posts in 2 hours... and on the 101st post would be their item for sale in the PX... or 20 items. Along with a "Ha Ha HMFWIC and SH assholes... I followed your little rules and here I am, selling my crap... ." And again, instead of contributing to the Community, these folks did nothing but turn The 'Hide into eBay... all while getting into spats, disputes, complaints that made the HMFWIC's life difficult.

And before we go into how this started to resolve itself... it should be noted that all during this time, the PX and "Sales" were not making our Leader any money. He didn't charge for storefronts. He didn't take a percentage. He didn't get a Commercial Vendor Fee or a 3 percent skim off the top like eBay or Gunbroker. So he got all the headaches brought on by the "Used Car Salesmen" who dumped all over the PX. And no benefit whatsoever. In fact, a net negative, because the BS in the PX spilled over into General Population and threatened the reputation of the SH Community. And without that reputation, he (and our residents) got nothing. We become a crap site like so many others.

So... the natural answer is to shut down the PX. Ban selling and trades and other 'commerce' all together. Boom! All the headaches go away. It is a very real and valid option. And one that if I had been the HMFWIC I'd have probably done, because I don't have his patience and tolerance. But the community rose up and begged to keep the PX. Me among them. Because I've gotten some great deals on reloading stuff and I find the PX to be a very useful place not just as a buyer but for information as well. "We'll follow the rules HMFWIC, we all said. Please, don't take our PX. Come up with a plan! But let us keep our PX!" And the HMFWIC relented and we got to keep our PX. And it was good.

But, of course, in the post-Scout world and in the COVID world, the interest in the subject has gone through the roof. The sign-up numbers are in the tens of thousands a month. A million new members pouring into our community. This means more opportunities for HMFIC. More visibility for his sponsors and his videos and classes and events. And it is very good!

Except with the PX. Because all of a sudden, this influx of new blood (90 percent of which is awesome) is accompanied by scammers, Nigerian Warlords, eBay sellers, man-bun-wearing douche-nozzles with 6.5's who think they are above petty rules. And the HMFWIC's life is, again, not copasetic.

"Don't shut the PX down," says the community. "We love the PX. Come up with something..." So the HMFIC creates a new banner and category for folks called "Hessians" who are allowed to buy accounts to sell in the PX 'up front.' Hessians, BTW, was a blatant insult intended to brand these folks as being purely mercenary... and willing to sell out for a few bucks. But, many wore the tag to continue to post for sale and trade, etc. items in the PX. And the community was happy. Mostly. Except for those who skirted the rules. And those who sold crap. And those who were scammers. And, again, the HMFIC was getting headaches from the PX.

"Please, don't shut our PX Down," says the community. "We love our PX. Please don't kill it! Even though it is the bane of your existence. We'll follow the rules."

So the 100 post rule goes away. The 'time you are a member' goes away. Hessians go away. Everything goes away. Now, you pay a membership to post in the PX. Which is still a PITA. But at least our dear leader is now getting some compensation for the bovine scatology he has to endure daily from the little PX spats and people scamming and selling garbage. Hey, at least he can also say "Those aren't members of the community, they're just used gear salesmen... "

And we get to keep our PX. Of course, it is now more of a minefield than it every was. Handshakes aren't ironclad. And one has to watch their a$$ because that pistol you buy from Alaska might not exist at all... and some MFer is using SH to do what every thieving scum-weasel on the Internet does... Steal shit and scam people. It's what they do. But for those of use who are smart enough... there are still great deals and great people on the PX... and joining SH every day. Did I mention 10 percent.

But, as in all things. there's always those few guys. The douche-weasels who go "I'll create a workaround by creating a 'state-by-state' marketplace. Or "Noone will notice if I come here and put a "For Sale" line hidden at the bottom of my first post. I'm above the rules." And more importantly are willing to say, right in public... right to the whole community in their posts: "I am openly stealing from Frank Galli and putting the PX at Risk by being an asshole and I don't care because the rules don't apply to me.

And when the community... the same community that values its PX and is here because the castle that our HMFWIC built is an amazing place... calls some little peckerhead thief on his actions... they get all antsy in their little skinny jeans and call out the community.

We are protecting our PX and our community for a reason. And here is some news for the little thieves who think stealing from Frank and Shitting in our nest is a good idea. Some folks here protect this community pretty ruthlessly. The level of vitriol that you will find can be epic. And you will never come back. Moreover, your idiocy will be preserved for all to see. A virtual head-on-a-pike, Dracula style around the Transylvania castle. And we'll have fun doing it.

So please, new members... Join us in droves. Come and contribute! Become part of the community and revered members. Learn, shoot, grow, contribute to a growing sport. Buy (and earn) the right to use the PX and use it wisely. Be Snipers Hide.

The 10 percent of you who think you are above us all and show up here to steal and throw arrows? Game on, cupcakes.

Sirhr

PS... My apologies for any details I got wrong on the PX history... I missed the first decade here... coming in with the first wave of newbies... and only just overlapping with many of the founding legends. So some of you real early folks, please correct my oversights. And, last, thanks HMFWIC for putting up with us. And for keeping the PX when it would have been much easier to nuke it long ago! Hey, I'm going shopping now!
This right here.
I have one. Send $30,000 in vanilla gift cards and your shipping address. Pm sent.

Sirhr

This right here. I joined to learn and become a member of the community. I looked at the rules and didn’t even go in the px. Reason being was respect for the community. After about a year I received a notice that I was a full member and had px privileges. Nothing chaps my ass more than worms that show up and try every trick they can think of to sell shit on here. It’s disrespectful and truly shows their character. The best way to keep these assholes out is to be vigilant and fuck with them at all cost when discovered. As for px scams normally if it’s too good of a deal there is a reason. I’ve damn near been sucked into a couple shady deals, but ultimately my gut said fuck no.

Reactions: Bender
Really great read. Like many, I’ve bought and sold on the PX. Started off getting a decent Rem 700 in .308 and have since moved up to the much maligned 6.5 Creedmoor. Seems like the more I learn from the great people in the SH community, the more “stuff” I end up selling to buy the better stuff I told myself I’d never spend that kind of money on. It’s been an expensive lesson, but one I’ve enjoyed as my skills have improved. I’ve gained tons of knowledge from you folks to include the training videos and enjoyed the unique thought processes in the Bear Pit. I’m glad I’m here for all the Hide offers.

.260 Master Race!!

Attachments

• E66A5E71-D383-4121-9C3A-B65F2FFBB3C8.jpeg
    E66A5E71-D383-4121-9C3A-B65F2FFBB3C8.jpeg
    68.7 KB · Views: 127