• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Semi Auto for LE

Does ANY self-loader prefer Hornady? :ROFLMAO:

LOL...fair point. You know what I mean though...Everybody dumped the FGMM and lapped up the Hornady TAP stuff for LE a long time ago ya know cause it's GREAT. But don't forget your 165 GMX's in case it's not open air/barrier

pajamakid.jpg

But to answer the riddle... 6mm ARC for a guy that doesn't reload?....or a Valkyrie guy I guess?....I got nothing. Not a Hornady fan...

My team ran KAC SR's for many years, in some of the worst weather conditions for gas guns. Overall, likely the best semi on that platform. Having come up on bolt guns, most of us always found fault in them anyway. Additionally, we noticed our training slowly morphing more into combat style response, with likely too much emphasis using our "precision" rifles for the wrong purpose. A few years back, we migrated back to bolt guns and have been very satisfied. There's a place for semi .308s yes, just not sure it's the best for LE snipers. I used to deploy on most callouts with my bolt gun in my pack and a short, handy AR in my hands, just in case there was a threat going to/from or it simply made a better response to the situation, where a bolt gun wasn't needed.

Ladies and Gents,

If you have a moment, I'd like to ask for some advice. My department is looking to acquire a semi-auto precision rifle for our team. As I read through the forums, I see KAC, LMT, and LWRC mentioned quite a bit, but rarely in the context of professional use. I seek opinions based on direct use by those who opine. What do you recommend?
The criteria are: capable of at least MOA accuracy, semi-automatic, .308 WIN, 16-18" barrel, ability to run suppressed without being tremendously over-gassed. This rifle would be expected to operate in all weather conditions common to the southeast Pennsylvania/Central Jersey area. We are issued 168gr ammunition capable of near-match accuracy. I know I'm asking for the moon. How close can I get and with whom?
Any thoughts on cans? TBAC is nice, but I'm concerned about use on a semi-auto with respect to getting over heated.

Thanks for your time.
You want "context of professional use?" Check out the Barrett REC10. Barrett understands military/LEO needs as reflected by the history of .50BMG M82/M107 and recent MK22 MRAD Advanced Sniper Rifle contracts to the military. They make proven weapons. Ronnie and Chris "don't make no junk.....don't put their name on no junk." :) :) :) They make the real deal stuff that "Protects the Protectors of Freedom." Barrett understands cans in service also. ASR MK22 Deployment Kit, although bolt, comes with barrel adapter installed on the 3 barrels in .308Win, 300Norma Magnum, and 338 Norma Magnum for their suppressor......as chosen by USSOCOM. Although your application ranges will be typically much shorter than the ASR MK22, be aware that the semi-auto M82/M107 50BMG is being phased out in favor of the 338NM MRAD bolt gun for material interdiction. Lighter weapon and ammo....carry more rounds afield......less issue prone. USSOCOM finds a shooter, at long range, can send it, run the bolt, get back on target to spot own hits within flight time of modern military rounds at long range. ASR MRAD is change barrel.....under 2 minutes....for caliber conversion and barrel replacement by operators in the field. See GARAND THUMB and DEAD POET SOCIETY YouTube videos shooting the MK22 with Ryan Kleckner (retired Special Forces) and Kevin Owens (retired Special Forces and member of USSOCOM ASR specification/selection/.evauluation team )for an in depth perspective of MRAD MK22 criteria. In 308Win, how many rounds do you really think you are going to send in any operation?

You want "context of professional use?" Check out the Barrett REC10. Barrett understands military/LEO needs as reflected by the history of .50BMG M82/M107 and recent MK22 MRAD Advanced Sniper Rifle contracts to the military. They make proven weapons. Ronnie and Chris "don't make no junk.....don't put their name on no junk." :) :) :) They make the real deal stuff that "Protects the Protectors of Freedom." Barrett understands cans in service also. ASR MK22 Deployment Kit, although bolt, comes with barrel adapter installed on the 3 barrels in .308Win, 300Norma Magnum, and 338 Norma Magnum for their suppressor......as chosen by USSOCOM. Although your application ranges will be typically much shorter than the ASR MK22, be aware that the semi-auto M82/M107 50BMG is being phased out in favor of the 338NM MRAD bolt gun for material interdiction. Lighter weapon and ammo....carry more rounds afield......less issue prone. USSOCOM finds a shooter, at long range, can send it, run the bolt, get back on target to spot own hits within flight time of modern military rounds at long range. ASR MRAD is change barrel.....under 2 minutes....for caliber conversion and barrel replacement by operators in the field. See GARAND THUMB and DEAD POET SOCIETY YouTube videos shooting the MK22 with Ryan Kleckner (retired Special Forces) and Kevin Owens (retired Special Forces and member of USSOCOM ASR specification/selection/.evauluation team )for an in depth perspective of MRAD MK22 criteria. In 308Win, how many rounds do you really think you are going to send in any operation?

dumb.gif

Ladies and Gents,

If you have a moment, I'd like to ask for some advice. My department is looking to acquire a semi-auto precision rifle for our team. As I read through the forums, I see KAC, LMT, and LWRC mentioned quite a bit, but rarely in the context of professional use. I seek opinions based on direct use by those who opine. What do you recommend?
The criteria are: capable of at least MOA accuracy, semi-automatic, .308 WIN, 16-18" barrel, ability to run suppressed without being tremendously over-gassed. This rifle would be expected to operate in all weather conditions common to the southeast Pennsylvania/Central Jersey area. We are issued 168gr ammunition capable of near-match accuracy. I know I'm asking for the moon. How close can I get and with whom?
Any thoughts on cans? TBAC is nice, but I'm concerned about use on a semi-auto with respect to getting over heated.

Thanks for your time.
Why do you / your Dept. as LEO's need suppressed weapons ??? Or is this something for "your team" to use in PRS match's ?
Notice how some like to live vicariously through your departments budget

Hi,

PEOPLE PEOPLE, lol....IF you do not completely understand .gov solicitations and tenders please stop regurgitating information you think you know about them.

Contrary to popular belief big .gov does not always, hands down purchase the "Best" product(s).
There are pages upon pages upon more pages of contractual obligations that are actually more important than the quality of the product at times.
Example: The very damn day USSOCOM signed the Scar17 contract they put out a solicitation RFI on sources for new magazines.
Example: The room FULL of cracked Tac50 stocks sitting at CRANE due to bipod spigot being attached to the recoil lug area.
Example: The M107...the first ever semi auto bolt action rifle adopted by the military, lol. (If you have ever shot them you get the joke)

Sincerely,
Theis

Why do you / your Dept. as LEO's need suppressed weapons ??? Or is this something for "your team" to use in PRS match's ?
Not my thread, but I'd like to counter that with, why is it an issue for the dept or members to have suppressors?

Hi,

Seriously??
Please tell me you really do understand why a Department would utilize suppressed weapons right?
You do realize these guys have to setup to fire from inside vehicles at times, from inside buildings/rooms at times, neighborhoods in middle of the night, etc etc?

Sincerely,
Theis

• Love
Reactions: NET65 and Mike4837

Because a can is cheaper than workman's comp and hearing loss.

I would add LMT to the list to look at. They're reliable and very accurate, even with the chrome lined barrels.

I don't have any particular training and I didn't find them much more difficult to shoot than a 5.56 gas gun.

The only downside to them is they are very heavy rifles.

I’m genuinely curious as to why LMT is excluded in your experience.

We T&E’d a good number of rifles before we made a decision on which rifle to go with this last go around. One rifle was an LMT. Suppressed, the rifle didn’t even make it to 1k rounds before we started having issues with it. And this was after specifically telling them what we were looking for and what equipment was going to be used. They sent us a rifle “specially designed for our requirements”. Given their reputation, I was very surprised by this outcome. I understand that’s a very small control sample, but we moved onto something else that was more reliable and would give us much longer service life.

Does ANY self-loader prefer Hornady? :ROFLMAO:

Oddly my OBR circa 2010 prints 168 TAP 5 round groups under 1/2 moa at 100 meters. 168 FGMM opens up to around .6 or .7.

it’s a 16in and I think they used 11.25 twist back then.

Reactions: sinister