• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Senator's response to Ruger firearms petition

Gun_Crazy

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 12, 2009
Aloha, Oregon
Not sure what to make of this. Goes both ways... typical politician answer...

Dear Brian,

Thank you for contacting me to express your concerns about any proposed legislation that would affect gun ownership by signing the Ruger Firearms petition. I appreciate hearing from you.

In the wake of the tragic mass shootings at Sandy Hook Elementary and right at home in Clackamas Town Center, I have heard a wide range of views from many Oregonians on gun policies and gun violence. Indeed, I am deeply saddened by these senseless shootings and the loss of innocent lives.

As I consider proposed policies regarding guns, I will have two perspectives. As a supporter of the Second Amendment, I will ask if the proposals meet the constitutional test. Second, I will ask if the proposals will make a difference in the tragic situations we have witnessed. In short, I will be digging into the facts and research about each of the proposals on the table with these perspectives in mind.

It is appropriate in light of the recent tragedies that this is a national discussion, and I'm glad you are sharing your thoughts with me. As specific proposals are put before Congress, please continue to give me your feedback.

All my best,

Jeffrey A. Merkley
United States Senator

Re: Senator's response to Ruger firearms petition

The perfect deflection of a question. This should be studied and applied to all dealings with our significant others regarding the massive increase in firearm purchases recently.

I received similar ones from Cantwell and Murray up here in WA st. boiler plate responses from both. Cantwell tried to paint both sides Murray well... she dont likey guns.

"I'm going to see which way will keep my ass in office a bit longer, and you'll hear from me then. This is Oregon, after all..."

I got replies from my Reps that received letters. Ann Kirkpatrick and Paul Gosar (their staff) sent nice replies in which their positions were stated. Jeff Flake on the other hand sent this reply:

"Thanks for contacting me to share your concerns and opinions. If you have an urgent matter and would like to request immediate assistance, please contact my office at (202)224-4521.

Senator Jeff Flake"

Needless to say after receiving the replies from the other and then getting this I was a little peaved. I called his office and voiced my displeasure in the reply I received. The girl that answeed the phone was just saying, "ok, mmhhmm, mmhmm", until I said I was going to post his generic and unconcerned reply on several online forums and Facebook. Once I told her this she quickly asked for my phone number and email address.

I have I said how much I hate politicians?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mcgruber</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I received similar ones from Cantwell and Murray up here in WA st. boiler plate responses from both. Cantwell tried to paint both sides Murray well... she dont likey guns. </div></div>

Same here, and you hit the nail on the head describing those two.

I got responses from mine as well, all form letters. But they did let me know they were pro-2A and would fight these bills.

The Honorable Mr. Corker stands against ALL gun control(My state senator), and my local Congressional rep, well, she was a guest on FOX the other day, and essentially called out everyone from Obama to the lowest POS Feinstein on their lies and propaganda, false information, and invalid and unsound premises on gun control. Her stance is about the same as ours, Come Take Them. I had the stuff on in the background, heard her name, stopped and turned it up adn was basically thinking, "DAMN! RIGHT ON THE MONEY!" She totally ripped those who support gun control a new one, but the best part was calling each and every one of them out by name

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Switchblade</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Honorable Mr. Corker stands against ALL gun control(My state senator), and my local Congressional rep, well, she was a guest on FOX the other day, and essentially called out everyone from Obama to the lowest POS Feinstein on their lies and propaganda, false information, and invalid and unsound premises on gun control. Her stance is about the same as ours, Come Take Them. I had the stuff on in the background, heard her name, stopped and turned it up adn was basically thinking, "DAMN! RIGHT ON THE MONEY!" She totally ripped those who support gun control a new one, but the best part was calling each and every one of them out by name </div></div>

Is this on YouTube somewhere do ya know. Would love to see it. Haven't heard back as of yet but definately plan to follow up on any unfavorable response!!

Marsha Blackburn, my Congressional rep, smart, hot looking and stands up for firearms. What more is there to like? She has it ALL! Plus she is ten times better looking than that harpy Feinstein, which is why her words will carry more weight

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/di3_7lrLXC4"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/di3_7lrLXC4" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

from Sen. Corker

Dear Mr. Ruiz,

Thank you for taking the time to contact my office regarding the tragic shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary and the issue of gun control. Your input is important to me, and I appreciate the time you took to share your thoughts.

Like any parent, I was heartbroken to hear about this tragedy, and like other Tennesseans, I have the victims and families in my thoughts and prayers. Given such an unspeakable act of violence perpetrated on children, it's appropriate to talk about what we're doing to keep our communities safe, recognizing the issues involved are complex, especially when it comes to identifying and acting upon the warning signs that always seem to precede these incidents.

While I have always believed that it is critical to ensure that firearms are kept out of the hands of those who have lost their constitutional right to firearm possession, the right to own firearms for shooting, hunting, and self-protection is important to me as a Tennessean and as an American. Should legislation dealing with our Second Amendment rights come before the Senate, I will certainly take your concerns into consideration. I also wanted to share the steps I have taken to protect our Second Amendment rights in the attached "Policy Points" document.

http://www.corker.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/policypoints?p=ProtectingYourRightToBearArms

Thank you again for your letter. I hope you will continue to share your thoughts with me.

Sincerely,

Bob Corker
United States Senator

and from Sen. Alexander

Dear James,

Thanks very much and letting me know what’s on your mind regarding the right to bear arms.

I’m a strong supporter of Second Amendment rights. Congress should not pass laws that take away these rights from law abiding citizens and leave criminals to terrorize the streets. Good citizens don’t abuse guns – criminals do. I will continue to support legislative efforts to protect the Second Amendment rights of law abiding Americans, and oppose efforts to overturn the Second Amendment.

In two recent cases, the U.S. Supreme Court clearly held that the Second Amendment protects the right of individual Americans to keep and bear arms. In the 2008 case, D.C. v. Heller, the Supreme Court held that D.C.’s restrictive gun laws violated the constitutional rights of Americans. Two years later, in McDonald v. Chicago, the court struck down the city of Chicago’s handgun ban and held that, like the federal government, state and local governments must respect Second Amendment rights. I joined legal briefs in both cases in defense of this constitutional right and was pleased with the Supreme Court’s decisions.

I am grateful you took the time to let me know where you stand. I’ll be sure to keep your comments in mind as Second Amendment rights are discussed and debated in Washington and in Tennessee.

Sincerely,
Lamar