• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Photos send the mail

Re: send the mail

It's nice to see everyone working out the math...but...did you look at the reticle and notice that it's at its lowest magnification? That might change your math a little.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: swiftscout1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's nice to see everyone working out the math...but...did you look at the reticle and notice that it's at its lowest magnification? That might change your math a little.</div></div> How can you tell it's at its lowest magnification?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Br3ttc</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: swiftscout1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's nice to see everyone working out the math...but...did you look at the reticle and notice that it's at its lowest magnification? That might change your math a little.</div></div> How can you tell it's at its lowest magnification? </div></div>If the optics were at full magnification, the main posts of the reticle would appear much further toward the outer boundaries in the viewing area, or disappear completely (depending on the maximum magnification), leaving only the central mil-dot targeting reticle in view. Furthermore, said 'theoretically hostile' individuals in question would appear much larger in the viewing area.
I'm still sticking with my previously stated target estimation. Scout, any further input? On a side note, by 'scout', are you referring to 19d? Were/are you a scout?
Cheers,
Nick

Well After all this debate the poster still has not said if the shot was taken, what the distance was. Or if he was the person behind the trigger. That would be great to know if possible
smile.gif

With the average head being about 10" tall, this gives a reading of 277.8 yards away.. 10(in) x 27.77 / 1 mil = 277.8 yards to headshot.

Id go for the white cloaked sand monkey = Leader

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Theloss52</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't know if you posted how far it was yet or not, But I think the range is about 260-280 yards. </div></div>

Agreed. I have it just under 3 mils from estimated top of head to mid-section (average 1m) so 100cm/2.85MILSX100 = 285meters.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Koganinja</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ok, Study time! What is the range? And who would you take out first?

</div></div>

Range: very damned close. I'm swagging 200 yards; your position will be given up immediately unless suppressed, and even then, quite possibly. The scope view is very narrow - are there other hostiles in the area? Where? Do you have cover or only concealment? Do you have a concealed route of (in this case) hasty egress? How far away is support if you start taking heavy fire? If, in fact, they are digging up a cache of RPGs, how long will it take to make one operational from the cover of the trench and return your fire? Do you have immediate support personnel and how many? Looks like a friggin' hot place to be pinned down for any length of time.

I don't know how it is now, but it used to be that scout snipers main role was primarily intel gathering. I would wait and watch; call in a report. If engagement was needed I'd want my spotter on his rifle as well. Maybe there is a chance they would move farther away with their booty, making them easier targets.

I'd only take this shot if it was a very, very high value target. Then I'd be tempted to shoot center mass and wait for his buddies to come to Osama's aid.

As a sniper, distance is your friend, intelligence your saviour. Quick to the trigger can mean quick to the grave, or in the old words of the rules of engagement, if your enemy is in range, so are you.

So, hard to say if I'd take this shot just based on this picture.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ALsouthernraised</div><div class="ubbcode-body">With the average head being about 10" tall, this gives a reading of 277.8 yards away.. 10(in) x 27.77 / 1 mil = 277.8 yards to headshot.

Id go for the white cloaked sand monkey = Leader</div></div>

I couldn't resist. My wife got me writing cinquains (metered poetry{doesn't rhyme})

Anyhow this made me laugh so:

Monkey
Lives in the sand
Hides where buried bones lie
Fights for life, blood turns into sand
One shot...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fredo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I figured up 213 yards</div></div>

same </div></div>

i got the same

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AZPrecision</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Probably digging up a cache of RPS and AK47s

So was the "mail" sent after that pic was taken? </div></div>

+1
smile.gif

Presuming they are hostiles and retrieving "something", why not get the yardage and then observe to see if it might be IED components? One well-placed shot at THAT point would not only confirm their status, but might well eliminate the entire lot in one squeeze, thereby cutting down on the possibility of getting into a firefight with the rest of them once you take out the first one (also assuming that the ROE allow for that, the rest of the area appears clear, you have an exit route/support, etc.) Also the resulting explosion (if you hit and detonate the explosives) would possibly mask your shot's sound and at the very least, distract anyone watching over them with the possibility that they simply "accidently" blew themselves up, thereby giving you an opportunity to displace.

If I'm wrong in my logic here, please explain why. I'd honestly like to know.