• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sensibly priced Picatinny rail solution for TRG?

JimGnitecki

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 24, 2011
Austin, TX
I am still considering a TRG 42 as a possible acquisition, but am put off by the high cost of essential accessories (bipod $450, Picatinny rail $250).

I have verified that there is a low cost ($50) adaptor that enables use of the Atlas bipod on a TRG, even though the installation of the adaptor is a mini-epic involving use of pencil torch, etc.
smile.gif
Not "easy", but workable.

Is there a sensibly priced Pictanny rail solution that fits a TRG?

Jim G

Re: Sensibly priced Picatinny rail solution for TRG?

Warne or Badger base are no more then 150 bucks.

Jim,

If you want to put the bipod on the bottom of the forend, like most rifles, Accu-shot also has a simple pic rail that bolts into the factory TRG bottom rail, you don't even have to disassemble anything on the gun.

The spigot mount is a much cleaner and more functional solution, however. If you have the proper tools (pencil torch and impact driver) it's a 15 minute job, and pretty foolproof.

Do you also realize, for scope mounting, using the factory TRG dovetail is a much cleaner and simpler solution than bolting a pic rail on top of the dovetail? Several manufacturers make mounts that clamp directly on the factory dovetail, no pic rail needed.

Hellbender:
The reason for wanting a Picatinny rail for the scope is that I have a Nightforce scope and rings mounted on a Larue quick disconnect Picatinny RISER, that I use on my LMT MWSE and want to to be able to move that QD scope assembly between my LMT and my new bolt rifle (whatever bolt rifle that might turn out to be).

Thanks too for the heads-up on the TWO Accur-shot solutions. I knew about only one of them!

Jim G

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Warne or Badger base are no more then 150 bucks. </div></div>

So if I understand you correctly, Warne and Badger both make Picatinny rails that fit onto the TRG's receiver?

I'll see if I can find them.

Jim G

Jim:

I have a rig similar to the one you mention. It's a TRG-22 with a picatinny rail, Nightforce Benchrest scope (8-32x56), and a LaRue QD unimount. I found that the rail mounted scope using the LaRue was too high for my comfortable shooting position even with a cheek riser. I had to switch to a lower mount to get the scope down to the right position. Check your optics/mount measurements with the LaRue/NF scope because you may find the same issue.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MikeTz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jim:

I have a rig similar to the one you mention. It's a TRG-22 with a picatinny rail, Nightforce Benchrest scope (8-32x56), and a LaRue QD unimount. I found that the rail mounted scope using the LaRue was too high for my comfortable shooting position even with a cheek riser. I had to switch to a lower mount to get the scope down to the right position. Check your optics/mount measurements with the LaRue/NF scope because you may find the same issue. </div></div>

Mike: I have found that I fit a rifle best when the scope centerline is approximate 3.5" above the bore centerline. Much lower than that and my cheekbone runs into the cheek riser, so i cannot get properly aligned with the scope. That is why I run the 5/8" Larue QD riser PLUS 1.5" rings on my LMT MWSE.

Jim G

LR-Accuracy makes TRG-42 rails for $100 and the bipods are the same price but after using both the Sako bipod doesnt hold a candle the LR-A stuff.

Thanks, bohem! A $100 rail is attractive. I'll go have a look at their website.

I'm going to use my existing Atlas bipod if I get the TRG.

Jim G

EGW has a sub $100 rail( I don't remember the price exactly). I used one successfully, until my NEAR base arrived. I have now gone to Near bases on all 3 TRG's that I have set up. The NEAR is $175, but it is WELL WORTH it. It is not only beautifully machined, it is the only Pic base I have found with integral recoil lugs machined into the bottom of the base that engages the recesses in the top of the TRG receiver.

That being said, the EGW base held solid with the multiple screws into the receiver. I feel better with the NEAR mfg base.

Near MFG

08_01.jpg

I'm glad to hear you are wanting to use your Atlas on your next rifle and I believe this is is the rail option Hellbender referred to; BT28 - AFAR (the TRG stock is in the middle).

I have nothing to offer or suggest for a scope rail.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kasey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm glad to hear you are wanting to use your Atlas on your next rifle and I believe this is is the rail option Hellbender referred to; BT28 - AFAR (the TRG stock is in the middle).

I have nothing to offer or suggest for a scope rail.

</div></div>

Fantastic! Thank-you. Assuming I can find a TRG I can afford to buy . . .
smile.gif

Jim G

It's amazing how much knowledge this forum brings to each of us, if only we take the time to ask.

All these suggestions have helped me to shift my plans more towards getting a TRG, since I can now see how I could actually afford to equip it using the wide array of sources and products decribed by everyone who posted.

Keep the ideas coming. I am oging to post separately to get advice on where to find the TRG rifle itself.

Jim G