• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advanced Marksmanship Service Rifle - charging handle location?

NativeCraft

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 14, 2006
Wilson, NC
Do you use the charging handle for "placement" when shooting the AR15 and, if you do, where does the charging handle lie when in the various positions?
I've been using my nose against the left side of the charging handle for all positions, but I'm developing a flinch in anticipation of my nose getting battered.

Re: Service Rifle - charging handle location?

Are you using irons?? Reflex sights it doesnt really matter. But if you need to be in the same spot each time stick a piece of tape on the butstock where your cheek rests.

You might want to try putting some fore hand weight and butt stock weight in your rifle. It will stop all that movement and give you an easier time with settling the rifle prior to the shot.

I've always placed the charging handle so its practically in my nostril. My nose does get sore, but not until after about 100 rounds or so, I've never developed a flinch from it though, at least not that I remember.

Make sure you have it pulled tight into your shoulder when firing and it will reduce felt motion as your body and the weapon should move back in unison. I have been shooting m16s/m4s since 05 and I find my most comfortable cheek weld is about the middle of the stock. You should play around with where you cheek weld is and see if that relieves the problem.

Yes, using irons, shooting NM course Service Rifle....got the buttstock full of lead and the forearm bottom piece packed full also. Not allowed to use tape or anything else to mark locations in Service Rifle.
The rifle really doesn't hurt my nose so much as it's simply the anticipation that it "might" hurt.

I'll try backing up on the stock a bit to see how I like the way it feels.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NativeCraft</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes, using irons, shooting NM course Service Rifle....got the buttstock full of lead and the forearm bottom piece packed full also. Not allowed to use tape or anything else to mark locations in Service Rifle.
The rifle really doesn't hurt my nose so much as it's simply the anticipation that it "might" hurt.

I'll try backing up on the stock a bit to see how I like the way it feels.</div></div>

What you want is a good chipmunk stockweld, which should be muscularly relaxed. Since the charging handle is a fixed part of the firearm, the stockweld will have some sort of relationship with the charging handle, yet, this relationship should be what it needs to be for the shooter to be muscularly relaxed. Remember muscular relaxation is an element of a steady position.

Yet, understanding the relationship between the charging handle and stockweld can serve as device for getting a more consistent position. And, of course, a more consistent position will assure more predictable recoil, reducing angular error for more X ring hits.

One more thing, the relationship between the stockweld and charging handle will likely change when you go from one position to another. The prone position is likely going to be the one where the distance of your nose to charging handle will be the closest. It shouldn't be a problem though since your nose will be to the side of the handle. In fact, the only problem with recoil I'm aware of is when shooting prone from the left shoulder using a small aperture during a heavy overcast condition. Riding the rear sight in such a condition might be necessary for a sight picture bright enough to distinguish the front post from the target; and, with the lip so close to the forward assist, often the lip is in a peril.

Using the charging handle can work without actually setting the cheekweld so the face touches the handle. Simply reach up with the thumb against the handle, then move the face into contact with the thumb. Then remove the thumb and replace the hand onto the grip. Provides a consistent cheekweld distance without as much liklihood of recoil-related injury.

Shorter guys have the advantage with this technique.

Greg