• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Service Rifle

MtnCreek

Moderater
Minuteman
Jan 6, 2012
I'm probably going to put together a rifle for service rifle. Any good arguments for building vs buying something from WOA? Is freefloat with hand guards still the way to go?

Is everyone shooting with a scope now? Any suggestions on scope and reticle?

Thanks.

I still have that rifle and it ain't going anywhere other than to my Son when I crater.
I won my fair share of matches with that rifle, nothing wrong with it at all.
Good to see you Avsfan. Foul Mike

I still have that rifle and it ain't going anywhere other than to my Son when I crater.
I won my fair share of matches with that rifle, nothing wrong with it at all.
Good to see you Avsfan. Foul Mike

Outstanding, so glad to hear Mike...hope all is well my friend!

Cheers,

AvsFan(y)

• Love
Reactions: Foul Mike
Yes, free float is the only way to go, yes everyone is using a scope. Just buy from White Oak or Rock River, or find one used. You won't be able to build anything better for less money than WOA or RRA, even if you are a dealer (IMO). My svc rifle, which I built, but just because I like to. White Oak barrel.
1592758406093.png

Everyone is using a scope. You should to go a match and look through as many brands as you can. It's all about the reticle and that is a personal preference.

NF SR-1 is my preference.

You can't go wrong buying from White Oak or Compass Lake. My barrels come from Compass Lake, their chamber is THE ONE...

I'm still using the iron that came on the rifle. Still works for me but I don't win as much as I used to.
Maybe it is time to build a new one? as I am getting rather Vintage and the eyes aren't what they used to be.

PS. Where is Craig from Wyo.? FM

Reactions: camocorvette
Was playing around with service rifle for a bit the. The one range that sponsored shoots closed. Still love breaking the rifle out, although my lower is no longer regulation.

compass Lake and white Oak really are the best way to get in to this I think and both companies are knowledgeable and helpful.

BB1828C3-CC26-45DD-A4E3-80CF97385905.jpeg
41E90C6F-AF1A-4740-879A-C073844088B5.jpeg
9AEB6C85-EC32-4EB7-9A3A-15117050248F.jpeg

Compass Lake upper old school.
first photo is a Crossman MAR177 National March Air rifle upper the mates to a milspec lower. Features a Lothar Match Barrel. Wish I could find the original A2 handle and sight they sold with it. If anyone has one or a line on one let me know

Well I have to ask.
To me a battle rifle is of at least 308/7.62 caliber?
Correct?
I have a RR Coyote rifle that I've put less than a box of ammo through it.
It's not because it's not a fine weapon, for some reason I just don't shoot it.
My RR is scoped with a Vortex Strike Eagle, I'd probably shoot it more if I put an ACOG on it.

Well I have to ask.
Correct?
My RR is scoped with a Vortex Strike Eagle, I'd probably shoot it more if I put an ACOG on it.

Yep. Battle rifles traditionally are defined as firing a "full power" cartridge, which for NATO countries would be the 7.62x51.

Reactions: Ravenworks
Well damn, I guess I had better get out from under this rock. I know that I'm out of touch with a lot of stuff living way out in the sticks, but I didn't think I was that far out of touch.

I had no clue that most people were using optics for service rifle these days. I shot a few matches some 20 years ago in the Marines, both NRA and inter service. I think that there may have been at most a half-dozen scoped rifles on the line with either the USMC or USAMU teams.

Anyway, enough down memory lane. I'll echo what others have said in their recommendations for WOA or Compass Lake Engineering. RRA has made a fairly decent product too, and I've actually shot a buddy's RRA NM A2 with pretty good results (I was definitely the limiting factor). Other than personal satisfaction, I can't come up with a reason why building is really better than buying for this type of setup. The major players all make an upper more than capable of staying inside the X/10 ring with a good load.

Switched to optics last year. The Vortex PST with 1/2MOA turrets seems pretty popular on the line. Picked one up for a reasonable price.
View attachment 7356798
Range 103. I've shot a couple of matches there. Saw some great groups/scores shot there. That used to be a very active competitive club with several National Champion/National Record holders attending every month.

Well damn, I guess I had better get out from under this rock. I know that I'm out of touch with a lot of stuff living way out in the sticks, but I didn't think I was that far out of touch.

I had no clue that most people were using optics for service rifle these days. I shot a few matches some 20 years ago in the Marines, both NRA and inter service. I think that there may have been at most a half-dozen scoped rifles on the line with either the USMC or USAMU teams.

Anyway, enough down memory lane. I'll echo what others have said in their recommendations for WOA or Compass Lake Engineering. RRA has made a fairly decent product too, and I've actually shot a buddy's RRA NM A2 with pretty good results (I was definitely the limiting factor). Other than personal satisfaction, I can't come up with a reason why building is really better than buying for this type of setup. The major players all make an upper more than capable of staying inside the X/10 ring with a good load.

Rule change ,about 5 years ago?? Opened up optics. There are limitations of the optics.

one of the major driving forcesfor the service rifle competitions was to develop civilian marksman should they be needed for war. The idea was that the rifles should mirror GI issue rifles. Well they aren’t using just iron sights anymore so the change makes sense.

I personally still like then”purity” of the irons. I’ve got glass so so many other rifles I like getting back to the beginning every now and then and just shooting simple. Now that I’m over 40 I guess we will see how long that holds up as it gets harder to see

Well I have to ask.
Correct?
There you go, NRA approved .308 service rifle. Armalite sells one ready to go, just add optic/irons. I've shot mine over the Palma course and its good to go.
DSCN0768.JPG

NRA approved .308 service rifle.

I like the White Oak rail/ring combo and need to check that out. I use PRI cantilever mounts since they are fairly low (1.30") but with a high deck DPMS, I'd prefer a little lower if possible. Looks like they have some clearanced for the eyepiece.