• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Setting up a new range

phillip61

Sergeant
Banned !
Minuteman
Jun 14, 2012
texas
A friend of mine just got permission to set up a 1000+ yard range on a property not far away. My question is this. Several of us plan on pitching in for a sheet of AR500 steel for targets. at what distance can we just go to plain carbon steel. I was thinking around 600 yards and farther . So again, at what distance will be stop ushooting holes thru plain say 3/8ths carbon steel? Thanks in advance for the info you are about to bestow upon me!!

I would say to stick with the AR steel all the way. It’s cheap enough to get and you will never have to worry about it anymore.

My 338 put a hole through a 3/8 mild steel plate one day (a friends plate)at 700 yds when a friend put it up out there and said it couldn't be done lol. I laughed pretty hard on that one. I wouldn't bother with mild steel for target plates, its a poor choice, they're going to potmark quickley and and they don't "sound off" with any ring, the best you get if anything at all is a dull thud so hard to identify hits most of the time. Especially since it sounds like several of you will be shooting them. Buy the AR steel, it'll last almost forever and not expensive if you're sharing cost among friends .

The local metal supply place here in town can't get AR500, but they can get AR 400. Will that work, Is there a big difference between the two?

At the events that I host I only use AR 500 to 1500 yards past that mild steel has worked for me, but most people are shooting solid copper and match rifles not heavy 50 cal rounds that do damage to steel.

I would for sure get only AR-500 for anything under 1500, better to buy once cry once than keep replacing.

For the easiest possible way to hang large steel look at the Hang Fast system. The single mounting point enhances harmonics making hits easier to hear. The quick off chain mounts make it easy to move the setup from post to post or take home. Just leave the post.
Here is a 24 x 36 AR500 3/8" plate weighing 92 lbs. mounted on a single T Post at 1000 yards.
HangFast Targets

phone 8-1-2015 1783.jpg