• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Setting up range, need steel size up to 750y

LawDog101

Private
Minuteman
Dec 15, 2010
We are finally getting around to setting up a range at the ranch. We have the ability to stretch out to at least 750y, maybe longer. We had a 10" circle at 400y this weekend and it seemed to be about right. I would like to get some recommendations for sizes, shapes for distances of 100, 200, 300, 400 and so on up to 1k.

So far, we use various sizes at 100 for plinking, new shooters, zero, etc. Something in the 8"-10" square seems right for up to 300-400 and i was thinking that at 500, one of those 1/2 ipsc would be cool.... We are not going to do anything other than a single hanging steel at each distance
Love to hear what everyone has to say

LD

Re: Setting up range, need steel size up to 750y

3/4 MOA at each distance. If that's too small- than hang a second larger plate next to it.

aim small, miss small...big targets lead to bad habits.

From Calif. Precision Rifle Club match director AR15 Barrels:

Prone with lots of time 1 to 1.5MOA
Prone limited time 2 to 2.5 MOA
Barricades and unconventional supported positions: 3 to 4 MOA
Unsupported Positions: 3 to 5 MOA depending on position.

These sizes are for matches. For practice you may want slightly smaller. YMMV

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tripwire</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
aim small, miss small...big targets lead to bad habits. </div></div>

I agree, but if you're shooting out in the open with no berm directly behind the target, misses are tough to call. We use 2/3 scale IPSC steel out to 600, and beyond that, switch to full size. I'm still learning (aren't we all) and I don't learn much from a miss that gets lost like a fart in the wind. Just my opinion, I'm wrong alot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LawDog101</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We are finally getting around to setting up a range at the ranch. We have the ability to stretch out to at least 750y, maybe longer. We had a 10" circle at 400y this weekend and it seemed to be about right. I would like to get some recommendations for sizes, shapes for distances of 100, 200, 300, 400 and so on up to 1k.

So far, we use various sizes at 100 for plinking, new shooters, zero, etc. Something in the 8"-10" square seems right for up to 300-400 and i was thinking that at 500, one of those 1/2 ipsc would be cool.... We are not going to do anything other than a single hanging steel at each distance
Love to hear what everyone has to say

LD </div></div>

For 100-200Y paper is better so you can see exactly where you hit. Not to mention the wear and tear on steel from being shot at closer distance.

Beyond 200Y for prone, I like using 1.5 to 2 MOA steel of various shapes because they provide challenge in the wind but are not easy to hit either. The object of course being to learn the wind and hit dead center. That provides all the challenge needed.

I have a BUNCH of steel targets out. I have them plasma cut from AR500 in three basic sizes, 6", 9" and 12". That works for 90% of the places we put them out to 600 yards, usually a big and a small one. Like was said above, 1-2 MOA usually works pretty good, just add or take away time to increase the difficulty.

For longer ranges, we go bigger, but still try to hang a 1 MOA target at each distance. Shooting 308's at 800-1000, at a 1 MOA target, is a tough shot with our normal wind/mirage conditions. So, in order to make getting dope quicker, we will usually hang a big used plow disc also, roughly 20-22" diameter.

Most important, keep a couple cans of paint handy, white or orange day glo, and freshen them up every little bit. If you are shooting a 20" target at 800 yards, it is good to know WHERE on the disc you hit, to get your come-ups as close as you can.

At 1750, we usually hang one 20" and one 24" plow disc.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tnichols</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I agree, but if you're shooting out in the open with no berm directly behind the target, misses are tough to call. We use 2/3 scale IPSC steel out to 600, and beyond that, switch to full size. I'm still learning (aren't we all) and I don't learn much from a miss that gets lost like a fart in the wind. Just my opinion, I'm wrong alot. </div></div>You're not wrong. Don't sweat it: At Rifles Only, depending on the exercise we shoot 6" plates at 600 and/or full size IPSC at 400. I can spot a hit on a 6" plate as well as I can on a full size IPSC plate. The size of the target doesn't matter unless you are qualifying or competing.