• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s SH Motorcycle Thread

American Iron at its best , Knuckles Rule

Attachments

• 5A0C6ED1-19CF-4004-BC71-FD32C378784A.png
    5A0C6ED1-19CF-4004-BC71-FD32C378784A.png
    4.2 MB · Views: 29
  • CD2D8C99-1821-4C7E-AA7C-C45D69F4C191.png
    CD2D8C99-1821-4C7E-AA7C-C45D69F4C191.png
    5.1 MB · Views: 28
How's the weight feel? There's so much chatter about the T7 being top heavy. The KLR I have last year I thought was super top heavy.
If you are looking, and if I was looking today I would be eyeing the TransAlp. Same weight, a twin so none of that thumper vibes that just never go away. Crosses lots of boxes. If I did not already have the big sister I would be looking very hard at them. It is roughly 50lbs lighter then the Africa Twin.

I still hope to commute this year, time will tell if I can or not, I have taken a few short rides on the nice days we have had already, and while rusty it was really nice. I think that for the road less traveled as well as getting there I would much rather have a twin then a single.

I have done most of the older singles, KLR, DR560, XL650 as well as smaller versions and you never get away from a single being a single, they are what they are and they will never be as smooth as a twin or trip.

I think this might be the second year for the Honda, they need some other colors.

I am still in love with my AT, even if she is one big fat bitch.

Reactions: Charmingmander
Whelp. She runs fine with a push start.

Replaced a relay. No change to starting. Probably just going to pick up a battery this week to eliminate it as a possible issue. Also have a new starter solenoid on the way ($10). Can't find the battery ground. Need to check that too.

Problem with the Trans Alp is the god awful oil sump and exhaust routing that kill the bikes ground clearance. After you attach a skid plate you've got very little room under the bike.

The ADV in the segment that I think is the best buy is easily the V-Strom 800DE. But the T7 looks like the most fun to ride.

Problem with the Trans Alp is the god awful oil sump and exhaust routing that kill the bikes ground clearance. After you attach a skid plate you've got very little room under the bike.

The ADV in the segment that I think is the best buy is easily the V-Strom 800DE. But the T7 looks like the most fun to ride.
It really depends on what you realistically are going to do. If you spend more time on roads, both improved and unimproved that is one thing. If you are actually doing things like blasting your own trail, that is different.

Really IMHO an ADV bike is for the road less traveled. It is a road, so as such I want some better shocks as top of my list.

Back when I owned the Versys 650, it was a fantastic road bike, paved roads. But get it in the gravel and it really sucked. Sure I could have done work to the suspension but point is I did not want to. Before the Versys, I had a DR650, that thing sucked on the paved roads, the vibes sucked, the ergos sucked, sitting on a 2x4, it was fantastic going down low maint. gravel roads, but sucked everywhere else.

Now I have the Africa Twin. It does the gravel just fine, and is smooth as glass on the highway at 75.

On the way to work (hopefully) I am on gravel for a good bit, then craptastic county chip n' seal roads. There is a quarry down the road from me and the dump trucks play hell with the road. The suspension on the AT is very nice on that stuff, then after I hit the highway it is not going to make my feet and hands go numb.

I am not hopping logs or huge rocks, I am on the "road" just not a very good one.

The Wee is also a nice bike, but I think leans a little closer to the road. IMHO some are too big, like the big BMW, the AT, or the S10. Just too darn big. The T7 is a single so that is going to be buzzy on the highway, you are never going to get away from that with a single.

I almost bought an 800 Tiger when I bought the AT, but I lucked onto a new AT for about $4k under what a new Tiger cost. I went with the honda, but that triumph was a real nice bike.

The T7 is a p twin.

I was considering an Africa Twin in the future. The head unit on the AT and Goldwing is identical to the UI in my CRV lol.

Here is my 2015 Street Triple "Irene"

Almost time to wake her up from her winter slumber
View attachment 8376522
Those Triumph triples lay down the power.

I looked at the Rocket III once upon a time and the numbers they claim are pretty damn impressive.

Doing wheelies on a factory “cruiser” is nuts!

I looked at the Rocket III once upon a time and the numbers they claim are pretty damn impressive.

Guy I know has one of the Rocket III's, idk the last time he had it out. I keep offering to give it a loving home, maybe he'll take me up on it sometime 😆

It’s a very fun bike. More straight line power than any sane man could ever need. Two of my kids won’t let me put it away in the summer, the third is just now warming up to riding. We just go up and down the road until the sun goes down.
E3D541B3-6CB6-4C63-892F-607B657D4995.jpeg

I would love to try out one of the newer generation R3’s.

You buy a new Harley, and even with an additional $8,000, 135 inch crate motor, you’re still not close to these numbers.

A Trask turbo is only going to give you 50% over stock (roughly 150hp) and they’re pushing $8,000 too!

And I’m a Harley guy!

IMG_2296.png

Reactions: Anb618
You buy a new Harley, and even with an additional $8,000, 135 inch crate motor, you’re still not close to these numbers.

A Trask turbo is only going to give you 50% over stock (roughly 150hp) and they’re pushing $8,000 too!

And I’m a Harley guy!

View attachment 8376683
Mine’s the previous generation “Roadster”, but still 146 hp / 163 ft/lbs. Still more than plenty at 800lbs. Gotta love a bike the engineers designed to use the engine block as a majority of structural support for the front half of the bike…

I'd like to thank everyone in this thread for my new money fuckin pit . This shit is worse than heroin .
I'm thinking 3 bikes ahead . Also saving cash for a Patagonia Ride . End of the World ride from Chile thru Argentina .
Yeah no shit I would like to have the FE501w also! And maybe the adventure bike!

I'm planning on the Husky TE300i for myself and the TC85 big wheel for the kid. I'll regear the 85 a bit lower and add flywheel weight to calm it down. I may put the smart carb on it also. Along with handguards and some protection.
View attachment 8376715
View attachment 8376714
My next off road bike will be a TE. But I’m leaning towards the 250.

Electric start, EFI, and oil injection on a two stroke?

TAKE MY MONEY!!!

Reactions: missed
My next off road bike will be a TE. But I’m leaning towards the 250.

Electric start, EFI, and oil injection on a two stroke?

TAKE MY MONEY!!!
I don't think I would turn down the 250 if the price was really good. My understanding is the 300 can chug on the low end really well and have a smooth transition to the top end. The 250 is more aggressive and lively than the 300 is. The majority of our riding is going to be in northern Arkansas, Tennessee, Missouri, Oklahoma with some trips to Colorado, Wyoming, Utah. I really wish I could ride both bikes before pulling the trigger. I won't mind the mellower power delivery and ability to pull really good on the bottom end. And I'm just under #200 so I'll go with the 300. The electric start and the EFI will be great. The oil injection supposedly works really well on these machines. I had thought about getting the TX300 to not have oil injection, I think my riding will be better suited with the Enduro trim and not the cross country trim. I think now the suspension big parts are the same between the bikes. There is a valving and spring rate difference between the two. No lights and map switch on the TX either. I was thinking no oil injection so there could be one jug of premix to use on both bikes. I'll just get one completely different color jug for premix for the kid bike.

I'd like to thank everyone in this thread for my new money fuckin pit . This shit is worse than heroin .
I'm thinking 3 bikes ahead . Also saving cash for a Patagonia Ride . End of the World ride from Chile thru Argentina .
Motorcycles are a disease. I only finally started riding early last year and I'm already on my 3rd bike (own 2) and if things keep going the way they're going I may end the year with a 3rd.

Bare minimum 1 bike from each of the Big 4. I've already got 2. Need a good standard sportier bike, thinking an SV650.

The problem is, I want ALL the bikes.

Reactions: Alphatreedog