• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Share some Dope

N_Turs

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Sep 29, 2010
AZ
I'm looking to see if anyone wants to be kind enough to share some dope for Sk Long Range match. I've searched and looked at the sticky but cant seem to find this round listed. I understand that this info will vary a bit rifle to rifle and lot to lot. I'll be shooting my first 22lr match next weekend and have only shot my rifle out to 100 yards. So just looking to have something to base off of and hopefully just make adjustments on the fly if needed. I'm using a steel barreled Bergara B14r with a Strike Eagle. Thanks in advance for any help.

I found a PDM on Applied Ballistics where a shooter somewhere ran their rifle with SKLRM for the AB guys Doppler radar. It showed a G1 BC of .121. So I chose that profile from the Bullet Library.

I've been using that profile for three years now, and I've never had to change it. I've fire about 10k to 12k rounds through my CZ457, Bergara, and custom Curtis. When I'm prepping for a match in the morning, I get my speed while checking zero, then find the 300 yard plate and send some long rounds. It's pretty much money every time. I've thought several times about creating a DSF profile on my Kestrel, but I just don't need it. So long as I get my velocity right, which is anywhere from 1055 to 1080fps, depending on the temperature, everything lines up at all distances.

Reactions: Kambaku
I'm shooting a bergara with SK long range and my info pretty much matches BirdDog's velocity is set in strelok at 1079 right now and it was correct for targets to 300 last time at the range

Reactions: Birddog6424
Ill have to punch that into the basic ballistic calculator Im using and give that a go.

Basically the same here for my B14R & SK LR combo, it's running about 1060 from my barrel and the below basic dope has held pretty much true with some minor variations for temp. Note that these numbers are for my set up with a 2.5" height over bore, if yours is lower you'll need to add a bit of dope to each distance.

50 y = zero
100 = 1.8 mil
150 = 4.1 mil
200 = 6.7 mil
250 = 9.6 mil
300 = 12.6 mil

That will get you in the ballpark, I'll check my dope book later and come back with some more data.

Basically the same here for my B14R & SK LR combo, it's running about 1060 from my barrel and the below basic dope has held pretty much true with some minor variations for temp. Note that these numbers are for my set up with a 2.5" height over bore, if yours is lower you'll need to add a bit of dope to each distance.

50 y = zero
100 = 1.8 mil
150 = 4.1 mil
200 = 6.7 mil
250 = 9.6 mil
300 = 12.6 mil

That will get you in the ballpark, I'll check my dope book later and come back with some more data.
Awesome thats exactly what I was looking for thank you very much that should help me alot in this first match. Ill have to double check my scope height.

Neat rule of thumb for scope height on Remington 700 based actions is that it's generally the ring height + 1.00". 1" high rings = 2.0" height over bore, 1.375" height rings = 2.375" height over bore, etc...

Reactions: N_Turs
Neat rule of thumb for scope height on Remington 700 based actions is that it's generally the ring height + 1.00". 1" high rings = 2.0" height over bore, 1.375" height rings = 2.375" height over bore, etc...
Well that should make it easy to figure out I was planning on getting the micrometers out…guess that’s not necessary.

I went back through my data book and the above dope is probably good for 2,000' density altitude conditions to create a baseline. I generally shoot in the same area so DA changes basically come down to changes in atmospherics. Generally speaking, changes in the amount of elevation required worked out to about .2 mil per 1,000' of change in DA at 200 yards and by about .5 mil at 300 yards. At 100 yards the dope seemed consistent at about 1.8-2.0 mils year round.

Keep in mind that much of this can vary depending on a variety of factors but I hope it gives you a baseline to work off of. Good luck at your match.

I went back through my data book and the above dope is probably good for 2,000' density altitude conditions to create a baseline. I generally shoot in the same area so DA changes basically come down to changes in atmospherics. Generally speaking, changes in the amount of elevation required worked out to about .2 mil per 1,000' of change in DA at 200 yards and by about .5 mil at 300 yards. At 100 yards the dope seemed consistent at about 1.8-2.0 mils year round.

Keep in mind that much of this can vary depending on a variety of factors but I hope it gives you a baseline to work off of. Good luck at your match.
Thank you again for the info I'll be able to work with that for sure. The match I'm shooting is just a local club match but would prefer not to look like too much of a goober out there. This should at least put me on target. I'm in Az so elevation where I'm at is just a bit higher. I punched the info into the calculator for the G1 BC .121 and everything is about the same as what you have.

Yeah that data to 300 is within .1 mil of mine with SK LR in my Vudoo.

Reactions: RTH1800
Yeah that data to 300 is within .1 mil of mine with SK LR in my Vudoo.
And my Vudoo needs .2 - .9 more "up" from 150 to 300 with my Center-X than Rob's SKLR (which is ~25fps faster), and he and I shoot pretty much the same places - which generally have a lower DA than Trigger Monkey's data.

I'm in Az so elevation where I'm at is just a bit higher.
Heh. Well, since Yuma is around 200' ASL and Flagstaff is nearly 8000'... I grin a little thinking about what it would be like to deal with the atmospherics there.

And my Vudoo needs .2 - .9 more "up" from 150 to 300 with my Center-X than Rob's SKLR (which is ~25fps faster), and he and I shoot pretty much the same places - which generally have a lower DA than Trigger Monkey's data.

Heh. Well, since Yuma is around 200' ASL and Flagstaff is nearly 8000'... I grin a little thinking about what it would be like to deal with the atmospherics there.
We defiantly have some elevation change here. I'm at about 2300' so I think i should be good to go off of what everyone has been kind enough to provide. There is a range near flagstaff that has some NRL22 matches tho so if I end up heading there Ill have to sort that out ahead of time.

I shoot the NRL at gunsite in Paulden. From what I hear, the guy who was doing them in flagstaff stopped doing it.

We defiantly have some elevation change here. I'm at about 2300' so I think i should be good to go off of what everyone has been kind enough to provide. There is a range near flagstaff that has some NRL22 matches tho so if I end up heading there Ill have to sort that out ahead of time.
One other thing about your ammo besides dope, especially in AZ with spring coming on. I've seen this any number of times: newbies to competition leave their ammo in the sun, it gets relatively hot, and their dope becomes useless.

I've also seen guys take measures to keep their .22LR ammo from getting too cold at matches, and I've done that myself... I just put a disposable hand warmer in the small bag or box I use, depending on the match, keeping the thing a couple of inches away from the cartridges. Funny recollection: a very skilled shooter I know did the same thing last year... cold morning with temps around freezing... he used a lighter-fluid-fueled warmer... forgot it was running... and kinda baked his bullets to the point the lube was oozing off. His lowest score ever resulted.

I use the RA4 bc as it's supposed to be better suited to rimfire.

.125 RA4
1086fps
B14R steel with sk lrm

Screenshot_20240308-083257~2.png

One other thing about your ammo besides dope, especially in AZ with spring coming on. I've seen this any number of times: newbies to competition leave their ammo in the sun, it gets relatively hot, and their dope becomes useless.

I've also seen guys take measures to keep their .22LR ammo from getting too cold at matches, and I've done that myself... I just put a disposable hand warmer in the small bag or box I use, depending on the match, keeping the thing a couple of inches away from the cartridges. Funny recollection: a very skilled shooter I know did the same thing last year... cold morning with temps around freezing... he used a lighter-fluid-fueled warmer... forgot it was running... and kinda baked his bullets to the point the lube was oozing off. His lowest score ever resulted.
I have read the stuff is pretty temp sensitive definitely don’t plan on leaving it in the sun on a hot day that’s forsure.

Thanks for the great info

Bergara B14R - Kestrel 5700 Elite DSF corrected data (verified out to 400y)
18" Steel Barrel
Scope Height 1.95"
Twist 1:16"
Temp = 69 F
Station Pressure = 28.84 inHg
Relative Humidity = 60%
Density Altitude = 2102 ft

Lapua Center X
G1 BC = .156
MV = 1081 fps
DSF Mach 0.701 = 1.034
DSF Mach 0.644 = 1.077