• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

shark fishing in the Gulf

So just to update everyone here who may be out of the loop, Mako sharks are illegal to take for the next two years and the year prior the minimum size was 83”.
Well count me out of the loop.
Last time I fished out west was at least 15 years ago.....and when we used to fish for Mako's it's more like 30 years ago.
I don't doubt that there are probably no more mackerel under the oil rigs due to pollution.
It might still be fun going to Catalina for yellowtail, but last I heard both white and black sea bass are banned from the taking.
Can you still take sheepshead ? those were some tasty fish.

i am initially headed toward gulf shores. might head toward tampa or Louisiana. i never figured on going out in a boat. but it might be a better option. i’ll make a few calls tomorrow and see what i come up with.
Not sure about over that a way but tx coast winter is good fishing for big black drum on the jetties

Reactions: akmike47
Tampa Bay and Charlotte Harbor are absolutely loaded with big sharks.
Just try fishing for tarpon, grouper or snapper from Port Manatee all the way to the mouth of the bay.
After a couple of hook ups, Ol' Mr Brownsuit will show up. In fact, the goliath grouper will do the same.

I can't tell you how many times myself or a buddy has had a good grouper on, only to have one of the big guys show up.

A bite off happens quickly and looks like this.
View attachment 7797067

Some times you're fighting the shark for a bit while he heads for open water. They eventually break off.

If a goliath grouper grabs it, you'll swear you've hooked a full sized truck and it's heading downhill.

Yeah, we've targeted goliath grouper.
It's not for the weak or faint of heart.

View attachment 7797072

I can't believe I was stupid enough to get into the water with all the sharks around. Also, one swipe of the tail and this guy could have totally crushed me against the hull.
View attachment 7797074

Two stories now that I have somethinhg to add beyond bearded clam.

Off the beach of the Don Cesar with my daughter paddling a kayak..........daughter sees the fin coming through the water and shouts "Look a dolphin!"

Didnt tell her dolphins dont show both a dorsal AND a tail fin.

While in the keys snorkeling Loos Key Goliath Grouper come and sit under the shade of the boat.

I was more worried about those things around the kids than the sharks.

The sharks stayed 10 -15 feet below us but the Goliaths were right there.

If they had of opened their mouths I was afraid the vacuum would have sucked one of the kids away.

Reactions: nikonNUT
You can catch them in the harbors here, but I'm with the guys who would rather chase tuna, marlin etc. That said, if you want to catch sharks, go shark fishing.
Nowadays I'm living next to a lake, so nosharksatall.
Great fish stories, but what is an AJ?

Inadvertently caught a 6ft ish hammerhead while fishing for king mac off the coast of cocoa beach a few years ago. It was a real fight, well kinda one sided since we weren’t rigged for that fish.

amberjack. as far as i know the same fish or close as calif yellowtail. biggest of jack family here. have seen them caught up to 70-80. got 3 or so >50. some people like them to eat. the bigger ones are loaded with worms. very powerful fighter like all jack family.

Reactions: RPN and Jgunner
Smaller sharks off the coast and bays are a load of fun and great eating, namely blacktip. Medium-heavy spinning rig with 20# test, run it on the bottom with a 3-5oz egg sinker, 6'+ length of med-hvy nylon coated twisted wire leader onto a high quality ~3/0 hook. I ran my hooks onto 6" 350# solid wire, easier to replace out and held up better to the teeth. Bait wise, I found nothing was better than frozen calamari, tough enough to hold up to the tasting strikes and smelly enough to bring them in, whole shiners or Menhaden were pretty good too if I had a chance to throw the cast net for bait. I caught a lot in the 3-4.5 foot range around SW Florida, the FL Space Coast and Beaufort, SC. I didn't chum often, especially around Beaufort (Parris Island) because the bottom was around an 80' channel and the tides are very swift, but when I did on the FL flats I just bought a frozen chum block and threw it in a cheap laundry bag clipped and hung off the side of the boat, would surface fish with a bobber or free line with the current.

Cooking wise, grill/bake them in a foil pan basting with a 50/50 mixture of melted salted butter and lemon juice with minced garlic and white pepper, add other spices as you wish. Don't skin or fillet them, the skin easily peels off as it cooks and you can baste the outside from there. Just remove the tail, head, and fins (keep the stone/steel handy as it dulls the shit out of your blade), easy eating and very flavorful in a non-fishy kind of way, just limit the portions for pregnant ladies because of the whole mercury content thing. Larger sharks can be steaked with a coping saw.

Is it true with a shark, that if you intend to eat it, dispatch it as soon as you land it and bleed it? I’ve heard from numerous people their piss taints the meat if you don’t.

Is it true with a shark, that if you intend to eat it, dispatch it as soon as you land it and bleed it? I’ve heard from numerous people their piss taints the meat if you don’t.
True or not, I always did. Club it to stun it, tail it to bleed out, then immediately gut it. Just don't bleed one into the water if you plan on catching more, never caught another one in that area after I did that so I learned my lesson there.

"Do sharks urinate through their skin?​

FUN FACT: Sharks don’t pee as you know it. Their urine is absorbed in their flesh and expelled through their skin. When they die, what’s left in their flesh breaks down to ammonia and shark meat tastes and smells like…"

I did forget one other important meat prep step: After you get it home, soak in cold fresh water for 24 hours, that helps extract blood from the flesh. The next day the water will be pink and the meat will taste a lot better when cooked. I still do this for most all my fish unless I'm camping and it's going on the fire for the next meal.

yes shark meat contains high levels of urea. quick kill & bleed. sharks will bleed to death very quickly. aggressively slash gills-does both at once. soak in salt wate or rmilk whatever works for you. actually doing the same with tuna,mackeral,dolphin,wahoo & yellow tail is a good plan.

"Do sharks urinate through their skin?​

FUN FACT: Sharks don’t pee as you know it. Their urine is absorbed in their flesh and expelled through their skin. When they die, what’s left in their flesh breaks down to ammonia and shark meat tastes and smells like…"
Iirc black tip is one of the species of shark that don’t urinate that way and why they taste better than other sharks

didn't know that. they are good if one likes heavier thicker pieces of fish. never tried them but i always thought the nurse shark would be the best. around here they eat crabs. down south lobster.

You may have to release them, (according to earlier post) but Mako's get pretty common out of Port Aransas in the next few months. I have caught many species of sharks and Mako's are definitely the meanest. It is almost like they get mad at YOU, not the hook in their jaw. May and June Blacktip and Spinner sharks are closer inshore and considered by many to be the best to eat. I personally release all sharks.