• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

She wanted a large frame AR

B Man

Little Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 23, 2010
South side of Big River
Just finished my wife’s new range toy and gave it a test run. She said she wanted a large frame AR too so I obliged. I had other plans for this set but she liked the hydro dip much more than me so I built it out for her.
Aero M5e1
6.5 creedmoor Proof 22” SS
Bedded to a thermo fit
Ultradyne Apollo S brake
Superlative gas block
RCA bcg
CMMG zeroed mk3 lpk
Larue mbt2-s (her preference)

Shot prone to practice starting with 15 rds today breaking it in, then put 5 147 eldm’s and 5 130 FGMM rounds on paper to see which it may prefer. Going to put it on the bench with these two next time to see if I can get rid of that dang flyer. I’m pretty rusty shooting prone, been a minute until recently.
53DCC008-98AB-420E-9F74-2F83B6A727CF.jpeg

3572B21B-A389-4FAC-9B9F-B4866D89A4D0.jpeg
C4C0A4CA-71EE-44CA-9FC2-56934FED722F.jpeg

How's she like the LOP on that stock? I've thought about buying one a few times but the spec sheet always scares me off.

How's she like the LOP on that stock? I've thought about buying one a few times but the spec sheet always scares me off.
She hasn’t gotten behind this one yet, I just handed it to her tonight. She didn’t know I was building it for her.
Anyhow, I had one before on a build, solid. She really liked it so easy decision. The collapsible version is trash though. Worst 200 I spent on a build.

I won't add to the negative waves....ok, yes I will. Your gun shoots great. Lots of variables to look at with fliers. Sometimes it's hard to rule out stuff. Is it the first round, or the last round? Was it you? Is it the load or rifle etc... I think you've done a great job on the build.

I don't think B Man ever asked for a shooting critique or shooting advice, why are you guys giving it?

Nice build B Man, your wife should be super happy!!!!

I don't think B Man ever asked for a shooting critique or shooting advice, why are you guys giving it?

You new here? 😁 Unsolicited advice is what we do. 😘

Oh, and I also think it’s a nice build.

OP, try loading more than five in the mag when shooting five shot groups. Sounds weird, but sometimes it helps.

I gave my old lady the OBR that I rebarreled with a CLE 18" 6.5CM Bartlein thats why I haven't done a in depth review on it yet, set everything up for her, Scope, LOP, Cheek Hight, Trigger. She likes the TT Adaptable, I run the Diamond's and our eys are so different we cant share a scope. Even though she's a retired ITCS she wasn't required to qualify with the M16 or M4 only the M9 and M500 so this was her first time ever shooting an Gasser let alone a Large frame.

It's so much easier teaching somebody who hasn't picked up any bad habits yet. The day before after fitting the rifle to her I ran her through a bunch of dry firing drills getting her familiar with the controls and how to perform remedial action in case of a malfunctions.

Next day at the range I conducted a 5 min refresher, and observed here first 5rd group on steel watching to make sure she didn't forget any of the fundamentals we went over the day before. The first shot took her by surprise and she took her finger off the trigger shoe not following through and failing to conduct proper reset. For the next 4 shots I got behind the rifle and had her observe recoil management, posture and the basic fundamentals which by doing so in a live fire scenario allowed her the chance to visualize and connect the dots from what she had verbally learned during yesterday's dry firing and today's live firing.

Got her back behind the rifle and handed here another 5rds and observed her re-engaging the steel without missing a step, then had her pivot back over to paper and I went back to tinkering with another project.

Like most range days I had a creeper come by my bench inquiring about what i was working on. While trying to complete my tasks and do my best to politely answer the man's questions I start hearing "Hon..Hon..Come here..Come here", after mentally screaming FML!!!!!!! I turn around and observe what can only be described as a kid on Christmas Morning with a shit eating grin..

These are her first (3) 5rd groups with Hornaday box ammo.

Dry firing practice..
IMG_20220911_112120675_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220907_130723008~3.jpg
FB_IMG_1664661030009.jpg

That flyer ain’t rust…welcome to the world of big frame ARs! Get used to it.
I enjoy the challenge
I won't add to the negative waves....ok, yes I will. Your gun shoots great. Lots of variables to look at with fliers. Sometimes it's hard to rule out stuff. Is it the first round, or the last round? Was it you? Is it the load or rifle etc... I think you've done a great job on the build.
Not enough time behind it to know. This was the initial barrel break in and function test. It was 95* and humid with no wind, so miserable. I’ll have more time with it

No worries on getting the advice, I take it as it comes. I can get some good useful information at times. And appreciate it, she’s excited to shoot it.
BTW, what stock is that??
Fab RAPS

I gave my old lady the OBR that I rebarreled with a CLE 18" 6.5CM Bartlein thats why I haven't done a in depth review on it yet, set everything up for her, Scope, LOP, Cheek Hight, Trigger. She likes the TT Adaptable, I run the Diamond's and our eys are so different we cant share a scope. Even though she's a retired ITCS she wasn't required to qualify with the M16 or M4 only the M9 and M500 so this was her first time ever shooting an Gasser let alone a Large frame.

It's so much easier teaching somebody who hasn't picked up any bad habits yet. The day before after fitting the rifle to her I ran her through a bunch of dry firing drills getting her familiar with the controls and how to perform remedial action in case of a malfunctions.

Next day at the range I conducted a 5 min refresher, and observed here first 5rd group on steel watching to make sure she didn't forget any of the fundamentals we went over the day before. The first shot took her by surprise and she took her finger off the trigger shoe not following through and failing to conduct proper reset. For the next 4 shots I got behind the rifle and had her observe recoil management, posture and the basic fundamentals which by doing so in a live fire scenario allowed her the chance to visualize and connect the dots from what she had verbally learned during yesterday's dry firing and today's live firing.

Got her back behind the rifle and handed here another 5rds and observed her re-engaging the steel without missing a step, then had her pivot back over to paper and I went back to tinkering with another project.

Like most range days I had a creeper come by my bench inquiring about what i was working on. While trying to complete my tasks and do my best to politely answer the man's questions I start hearing "Hon..Hon..Come here..Come here", after mentally screaming FML!!!!!!! I turn around and observe what can only be described as a kid on Christmas Morning with a shit eating grin..

These are her first (3) 5rd groups with Hornaday box ammo.

Dry firing practice..
View attachment 8207400View attachment 8207404View attachment 8207401
The part, she hasn’t had a chance to pick up bad habits sounds very true. My wife is a crack shot, but she never shot rifles until we started dating many years ago. So the only bad habits she has are the ones I probably gave her 😅

Some fine shooting on her part and a nice rifle to do it with!

The part, she hasn’t had a chance to pick up bad habits sounds very true. My wife is a crack shot, but she never shot rifles until we started dating many years ago. So the only bad habits she has are the ones I probably gave her 😅

Some fine shooting on her part and a nice rifle to do it with!
Thanks, I actually hate taking that rifle out. The only thing left on the rifle that's LaRue is the receiver set, handguard and carrier and it pisses me off making that turd look good with the CLE Bartlein Barrel in there. But I did talk to my cerakote guy and he said he can fill in the LaRue logo 🤣

Last edited:
Thanks, I actually hate taking that rifle out. The only thing left on the rifle that's LaRue is the receiver set, handguard and carrier and it pisses me off making that turd look good with the CLE Bartlein Barrel in there. But I did talk to my cerakote guy and he said he can fill in the LaRue symbol 🤣
Mark appreciates you

Gave the barrel a nice soak and clean last night and carried it out today. I shot a few foulers, 100 yard group and 700 yard group. I’m more than satisfied to keep the barrel at this point and set the rifle up for her.
E3F20692-BF33-43D7-8ADB-460181E71F45.jpeg
EE4EC99F-E6FA-411E-B6E4-CE6A3DCC7EC5.jpeg

Last edited:

Its snipers hide, plus you can’t cherry pick shots.

Mark appreciates you

I'll tell you what.. when he actually stops treating his customers like shit who don't bow down and stroke his ego and builds a rifle that isn't stuck in 2012 actually representing his asking price I'll be his biggest fan.

The thing is I was one of those customers who couldn't wait to purchase the new PredatOBR and only after buying one you get told that LaRue rifles aren't designed to run handloads and couldn't give any information for reasons of liability...WTF!! Who buys a rifle you can't reload for?? and when I called LaRue to address this issue I was bassicly told to fuck off, and got tired of being told by him or his CS Tech staff that they can't answer any of my questions because everything is proprietary.

His rifles and gas system were/was calibrated to run FGMM and BlackHills manufactured .308 ammo that run at a specific pressure, So when introducing handloads that 99% of the time can't reproduce the same pressures that mamanufactured ammo can especially if you find your node close to the minimum to mid recommended powder charge it would result in unreliable functioning.

Your only option at this point is adjusting the buffering mass to bridge that gap and let's not even start on what the XTRAXN chamber and what does to your brass. The design of the Larue XTRAXN chambers varies from year to year because I'm sure he's trying consistently trying to find the perfect balanced. My Ptar Heavy Barrel FDE chamber rendered my FF brass absolutely unusable and unable to be resized in ANY .308 FL Sizing Die.

So after the whole 2013 Field Grade barrel shitshow, my issues with my Ptar and waiting on the promis of different calibers specifically the 6.5CM option which was the whole appeal behind the predatOBR I took it apon myself to figure these magically proprietary rifles so I disassembled all my LaRue Rifles only to discover there's no great secret behind his rifles.

After this great discovery I started installing custom single point cut rifled barrels and a gas systems that would give myself and my handloading friends who also owned Larue Large Frames the opportunity to run thier handloads and enjoy the phenomenal accuracy that Bartlein and Krieger barrels provide paired with his outstanding true free floating barrel design with absolute reliability.

So now I take every opportunity to help and educate anyone who wants the best out of thier Larue rifles due to all the misinformation surrounding his rifles. As I mentioned in another thread I've just came into another PredatOBR that needs some TLC and I'll write up a step by step thread that will outline what is needed to allow anyone the opportunity to if they wish to make the same changes I have.

Last edited:
I'll tell you what.. when he actually stops treating his customers like shit who don't bow down and stroke his ego and builds a rifle that isn't stuck in 2012 actually representing his asking price I'll be his biggest fan.

The thing is I was one of those customers who couldn't wait to purchase the new PredatOBR and only after buying one you get told that LaRue rifles aren't designed to run handloads and couldn't give any information for reasons of liability...WTF!! Who buys a rifle you can't reload for?? and when I called LaRue to address this issue I was bassicly told to fuck off, and got tired of being told by him or his CS Tech staff that they can't answer any of my questions because everything is proprietary.

His rifles and gas system were/was calibrated to run FGMM and BlackHills manufactured .308 ammo that run at a specific pressure, So when introducing handloads that 99% or the time can't reproduce the same pressures the mamanufactured ammo can especially if you find your node close to the minimum to mid recommended powder charge it would result in unreliable functioning.

Your only option at this point is adjusting the buffering mass to bridge that gap and let's not even start on what the XTRAXN chamber and what does to your brass. The design of the Larue XTRAXN chambers varies from year to year because I'm sure he's trying consistently trying find the perfect balanced. My Ptar Heavy Barrel FDE chamber rendered my FF brass absolutely unusable and unable to be resized in ANY .308 FL Sizing Die.

So after the whole 2013 Field Grade shitshow, my issues with my Ptar and waiting on the promis of different calibers specifically the 6.5CM option which was the whole appeal behind the predatOBR I took it apon myself to figure these magically proprietary rifles so I disassembled all my LaRue Rifle only to discover there's no great secret behind she's rifles.

After this great discovery I started installing custom single point cut rifled barrels and a gas system the would give myself and my handloading friends who also owned Larue Large Frames the opportunity to run thier handloads and any enjoy the phenomenal accuracy that Bartlein and Krieger barrels provide paired with his outstanding true free floating barrel design with absolute reliability.

So now I take every opportunity to help and educate anyone who wants the best out of the Larue rifles due to all the misinformation surrounding his rifles. As I mentioned in another thread I've just came into another PredatOBR that needs some TLC and I'll write up a step by step thread that will outline what is needed to will allow anyone opportunity to if they wish make the same changes I have.
And as I’m sure you know he’s went up big on his uppers…..Must be some special armadillo dust sprinkled on it before shipping. He’s pissed many folks off in many ways.

And as I’m sure you know he’s went up big on his uppers…..Must be some special armadillo dust sprinkled on it before shipping. He’s pissed many folks off in many ways.
The insane price increases and the removal of half of his rifle selection, looks to be a desperate attempt to cash in before the fall of the great LT empire. I mean really who with half a brain is going to pay the current prices for rifles that haven't changed since 2013. Most companies actually update and make improvements to justify the increase in coast, his shit has gone up 50% across the board in the past few months.

Last edited: