• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shedding weight from a large frame AR

Longshot38

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2009
Montgomery, TX
So guys I have decided that I want to lighten up my DPMS large frame AR chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor. The first and most obvious thing to change is the barrel. Currently it is wearing a Fulton Armory bull barrel. But I was thinking if I could find a barrel cut to say a H bar or similar profile it would cut down on my overall weight and help with weight distribution. Anybody know where I might find such a barrel or who might be willing to make one?

Re: Shedding weight from a large frame AR

Look into the DPMS "L" platform guns. I have a DPMS 308L which weighs in at 7.9 lbs. I'm not sure which handguard you have but, try replacing yours for a carbon fiber handguard. That should move the balance closer to the receiver (and shave maybe a pound)which may help you out.

Kind regards,
Jared

kvwpwr thanks for the intel. It is very helpful and is an option as well.

JBomb I'm not in the market for a new rifle just a new barrel. As for the FF tube. I'm already at 15 oz using the the VTAC system thus I'm not going to get much better there.

I have no illusion about this being a really light weight rig, it isn't supposed to be one. But I am looking to shave weight were I can.

Barrel length and contour are two of the biggest contributing factors to the overall weight (and particularly weight distribution) of ARs so I'd say you are on the right track starting there.

That said, before you do anything to start cutting, contouring, fluting or otherwise hacking on your barrel (or replacing it altogether)...I'd start with the simple stuff like:

1) what is the current overall weight of your rig as it sits?

2) where do you want the overall weight to be once you are done making any modifications?

Those two questions are key because your ultimate weight goal, like Rosie O'Donnell, may end up giving you a heart attack before you ever get close!!
wink.gif
(Ooops...too soon? Oh well!). Even assuming you can shed some weight from the business end of the rifle, a 6.5CM AR is likely to always be barrel heavy because of the longer tube (I'm assuming you are going with at least a 22") unless you start ADDING weight to the butt. From there...you've got additional weight coming from the handguards (if you've got a railed HG like DD, Larue, etc., the weight can add up fast and can be countered with lighter units like your basic aluminum FF tubes, CF like the PRI, etc.). You can shed a little more weight going with lightweight rings/mounts in aluminum (or Ti if your budget will handle it) instead of steel. Finally, your buttstock and grip can be factors in dropping/adding weight depending on what you are running and what you want/need from your stock (i.e. - basic A2 vs. PRS/UBR/etc.).

Ok...enough with my random thoughts this evening.

Back to your barrel...as kvwpwr said, Steve and the guys at ADCO (as well as many other shops) can cut down, contour, flute/dimple/etc. your current barrel. The weight savings will vary greatly depending on how short, how thin, and how else you decide to go. You can e-mail them or call to discuss your questions/concerns/goals and they'll be happy to take care of you. Their shop is first-rate and their turn-around is usually <2wks. Aside from that, I'm not sure who, if anyone, is offering production 6.5CM tubes in the configuration you are seeking. It shouldn't be that big a deal to have a 6.5 barrel blank of your choosing transformed into the barrel of your dreams as long as you've got the money and time to wait.
wink.gif

I have an AP4 that I wanted to shave weight on. I had the barrel recontoured by ADCO, and the handguard swapped out for cf. The weight of the rifle is now 7.5 lbs now (weighed on food scale). It handles soooo much better and isn't pretty good to carry all day.

This is just the rifle though. I have a VX3 1.5-5 Illuminated Leupy in LT104 rings, so I'd assume that would add another 1.5 lbs, bringing it up to 9lbs. If you weigh a standard bolt action sporter type hunting rifle with scope, I'd think it would be comparable. I know my Ruger MKII .280 isn't exactly light weight and feels heavier than my AP4.

Might want to see if this can save you some weight...I don't know if it will cross reference with the AR10 GI barrel nut, but i used it recently with a heavy barrel ar15 build and it helped tremendously

Guys thank you for all the recommendations. However I don't think I explained myself well enough. As my rifle currently sits the two places that I can really save weight are the barrel and stock. The barrel I'm willing to change significantly but the stock I'm not. I like the feel of the PRS to much and I don't mind the weight in the rear of the rifle anyway.

Where I'm already pretty light is the grip and FF tube. The grip is just a simple Hogue grip. And I'm already at under a pound with the VTAC FF tube. I know some setups exist that are a few ounces lighter, but at this point the work involved in replacing the system does not justify the few ounces I would save.

I usually buy drop in barrels but I did talk to Brux awhile back and their quote was 460 for a drop-in barrel. So cut rifled, contoured the way I wanted 460. Maybe talk to them to see what an HBAR profile 18-20" in 6.5 creed would run you.

Not sure that I'd recontour the factory barrel. Might work might not and you'd be spending 250-300 to cut, crown, thread, and reprofile it.