• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Shepard Scopes

bill rogers

Private
Minuteman
Dec 17, 2011
So. Cal
3.5-10x40, one inch aircraft aluminum tubes. Two focal plain two reticle, four dial system: The two rear dials move the cross hairs that are located in the second focal plain, behind the erector tube. They stay the same size throughout the full magnification range.

The forward two dials control the series of circles that are on the bottom vertical wire in the first focal plane. These circles are used to bracket your intended target, and they get larger through the magnification range. Shepard uses bracketing circles in the first focal plain so that the circles get bigger as the target gets bigger without covering up the target, as with mil dots.

The placement of the etched circles depends upon the velocity of your load. Each Shepard scope is coordinated to the velocity of your rifle.

Shepard scopes are produced by Light Optical company in Japan. When you want to shoot, the bullet drop math is pre-done. Just pick the circle that fits and execute your shooting routine.

Re: Shepard Scopes

People here write about a lot of scopes, but I haven't seen anything on Shepard. So I thought that I'd fill the gap a little. over.

shit glass, failed box test(adjustments were off), no such thing as holding zero....other than that they rock

maybe i just seen the only bad ones ever made(4)....but im not takin the chance

Seems like a hunting scope only, not for precision work. The holdover circles for 300 yards and beyond don't have crosshairs. Just an aiming circle that you center on the target for an area hit.

Sorry to hear that. My experience has been the opposite. I have one on each of my Weatherbys. I even dropped one out of a tree, once. still hit a Fosters can at 850 yards. Glass seems bright enough edge to edge. Not expensive. A lot to recommend them. Best part is the circle brackets the target so there is nothing in the way, when a guy is trying to concentrate on the shot.

"Seems like a hunting scope only, not for precision work. The holdover circles for 300 yards and beyond don't have crosshairs. Just an aiming circle that you center on the target for an area hit."

Hunting takes precision work. And surprisingly the bracketing circles work well out to 1000yards, when zeroed at 100yards. The circle doesn't interfere with what you are looking at when you are trying to concentrate on making the shot.

i like to concentrate on making my projectile intersect with my crosshairs....not a empty void....but i have never shot past 100 yards so i cant really say otherwise....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jtv3062</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is it that time of the year again? </div></div>

Yes and unfortunately it is also retard mating season

I'm kind of new to the site. Is there some hormonal cycle that I should be aware of? I didn't mean to upset anyone.

Those comments are a lot closer to my experience. For me, Sheperd sets the long range hunting standard, but I wonder if there is something better out there. Sheperd is a circa 1984 design, after all.

Oh, and thanks for your help.

IMO Conceptually the Dual Plane (FFP/SFP) reticle has merit. If the "Main Reticle" could be SFP and the Hold hashmarks could be FFP, that would address those objections of FFP reticle getting too thick at higher magnifications and being too thin at low magnification. I think USO is working on this.

The Execution of the concept in the Shepherd Scope, while may have been "ahead of it's time" in 1984, are not up the requirements of current Precision Tactical scopes. While the BDC reticle might be useful to the novice hunter, it really limits the application, as it lacks operational flexibility.

Over 25yrs and Shepherd is still selling the same scope. Technological progress hasn't stopped but Shepherd is in a time capsule.

On another forum I frequent, we suddenly saw threads about shepard scopes that were almost 2 years old, resurrected. It's funny how that happens. Not only was the one thread resurrected, then by the same poster, another thread over a year old was resurrected and posted to refer back to the other. Guess someone needs to sell some scopes, and is hitting the forums.

You are right about being useful to the novice hunter. It takes a 100 yard shooter right out to 800 yards with out a lot of thinking or practice.
USO eh? I'm going to check on them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Paladin 01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wonder if there is something better out there.

</div></div>

yes...it's called a finger adjustable turret and a dope card......

The price that I would have to pay for your advice is too high. I don't want it. Have a nice day.

You don't need advice.....you are hitting beer cans at 850 with a weatherby that's got a scope on it that doesn't even have a aiming point(crosshairs)......after dropping it out of a tree......dude you are better than 99.99% of the shooters on this board....

Keep on keeping on.....

Ahh, but each circle does have crosshairs in it. If you had ever looked through a Sheperd scope you would have known that. How could you publish all those bad things about a scope that you have never even looked through.

SHEPHERD-6-18x40-Rifle-Scope-V2-Dual-Reticle-618-V2-Pic2.jpg

shall we continue?.......btw, which holdover circle did you use for the 850 beercan shot?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Warming up the popcorn.....this will be fun..... </div></div>

+1 For this

The last time I had my hands on one of the Shepard scopes was on a rifle that I got in on trade. It promptly got removed, and thrown in the trash. We just couldn't do that injustice to one of our customers!

That is just their advertising drawing you probably got on the web. If you look through their scope each ranging circle has a cross hair.
You would know that if you had actually used the scope, as you said that you did.

Interesting thread.

I have somewhat limited experience with Shepherd scopes and, while the concept behind the scope has merit, the execution leaves a lot to be desired. To the point, where I was offered one for test a little while back and refused to do so on a simple grounds that it is a waste of my time: I have yet to see a Shepherd scope that hold zero properly. I am sure there are some out there, but I'll be damned if I am going to spend my time looking for one.

ILya