• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Shilen barrel

6.81star

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 26, 2008
Nebraska
I was reading Midway and came across Shilen barrels with a pre-chamber (or something) and already threaded. Is this a good barrel and worth getting or should i just get a actual blank and have all the work done. The price seemed good to me($225ish). I am going to rebarrel a 700 action that all the work is already done to the action, it will be a 7-08. your thoughts

Re: Shilen barrel

I bought one short chambered and threaded for a Mauser 98, off Ebay, about 7 years ago. Just got it smithed this fall, and it shoot lights out. Best group, about .35, chambered to .243. Seems to shoot any load, but ended up getting a slow twist, so wont shoot the heavies, but it shoots great, and cleans really fast.

Good barrels, I wouldnt hesitate, unless your shooting BR or something, these are more than sufficient.

i like shilen barrels...i have worn out two of them...but these were select barrels ratchet cut to be exact....them stampings on the end told me so before i had my gun plumber chamber and crown it....and turn it to the profile i wanted....i knew EXACTLY what was inside the barrel via a borescope....

my gunplumber will not let the UPS driver leave the building until he bore scopes the barrels and likes what he sees if it looks like a tracked vehicle went thru it...it goes back with big brown....

im just sayin

I got a pre-chambered select Shilen for my 700 about a year ago. Actually it was long chambered so I had to do a little thread work on it. Got it that way because I didn't want to mess with the chamber. It was in 260 remington and and went on a AICS stock. Shoots great. I did another in 308 but that one was a blank. Both shoot 1/2 groups usually.

I went with a blank on mine. It shoots extremely well. Had GAP do the work. I believe most smith would rather you give them a blank. Check with your smith.

My .452 Chrome moly barrel blanks are rough inside.

My 6mmBR select match stainless has shot better than I thought I ever could.

I contacted Ed Shilen, and he said that all Shilen stainless barrels are factory lapped to get the Copper lapp out.
The chrome moly hand lapping is special order.

None of the Shilen Chrome Moly in stock at Brownells are factory hand lapped, so I get the stainless.

I thought there was something wrong with my cleaning process when I could not get my Shilen Select Match to give up any copper.....

That was before I gave up cleaning.....

TC

Same experience with Hateca select match #7 1-10 very happy with the result, i will doit again.

I have one on my 243AI. I just got the rifle back from the smith last week. I am doing brake in and i am finding small traces of copper. Nothing bad, but there is a bit. My barrel is a stainless match. Lee

Got a Shilen select match in 6BR on my Savage 10, extremely pleased, would not hesitate to buy another.