• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Shilen barrels are second to none

Re: Shilen barrels are second to none

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just for conversation and accuracy facts;

Below I listed the 2009 World Open 1000 Yard BR LG Equipment List. I didnt count the Bartlien Barrels but we all know they kick ass anyway, yes I own one.

27 Krieger Barrels (My favorite cut rifled barrel)
18 Broughton Barrels (My favorite button rifled barrel)
11 Hart Barrels
10 Lawton Barrel
1 Shilen
frown.gif

Broughton held the #1 position on the relay I counted and had four barrels in the top 10 </div></div>

I have had several Shilen barrels and they shot lights out. Twenty-five years ago when I started shooting, Shilen was the "only" barrel maker people in my area talked about- fondly, I might add. I still have at least one Shilen-barreled(they did the action trueing and barreling) rifle that is a hammer.

That being said, I have a hard time complaining about Krieger barrels. But my Shilen rifles still shoot.

David

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just for conversation and accuracy facts;

Below I listed the 2009 World Open 1000 Yard BR LG Equipment List. I didnt count the Bartlien Barrels but we all know they kick ass anyway, yes I own one.

11 Hart Barrels
10 Lawton Barrel
1 Shilen
frown.gif

Broughton held the #1 position on the relay I counted and had four barrels in the top 10 </div></div>

You do know that means nothing right.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: beltfed74</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just for conversation and accuracy facts;

11 Hart Barrels
10 Lawton Barrel
1 Shilen
frown.gif

You do know that means nothing right. </div></div>

Im not disagreeing with you but why does that mean nothing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: beltfed74</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just for conversation and accuracy facts;

11 Hart Barrels
10 Lawton Barrel
1 Shilen
frown.gif

To some it means nothing, to others it shows what the dominate barrels are. The above results have been this way for years, two to three barrel manufacturers have simply dominated in 1000 yard BR. True, BR has nothing to do with Snipers Hide but, accuracy is accuracy and facts are facts. 1000 yard BR is more about drawing the right relay for wind, mirage etc. but, you really can’t go to the line giving up an equipment advantage either. There are those that have had that figured out for a while.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: beltfed74</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just for conversation and accuracy facts;

11 Hart Barrels
10 Lawton Barrel
1 Shilen
frown.gif

To some it means nothing, to others it shows what the dominate barrels are. The above results have been this way for years, two to three barrel manufacturers have simply dominated in 1000 yard BR. True, BR has nothing to do with Snipers Hide but, accuracy is accuracy and facts are facts. 1000 yard BR is more about drawing the right relay for wind, mirage etc. but, you really can’t go to the line giving up an equipment advantage either. There are those that have had that figured out for a while. </div></div>

And back in the late 90's when I was shooting 100 BR in the LV class and tinkering at 1k informal matches I was a kook for buying a Nightforce scope.

Not to mention a fool for passing on moly coating and cryo treatment or fluted barrels.

All I am trying to say, and I have not said it very well, is most every barrel maker makes a good enough barrel to shoot better than any Tactical guy needs. PERIOD.......
So, I do not buy this " my barrel manufature of choice is better than the other manufactures".
Just like I think wnroscoe you build a gun as good as GAP or vice versa. In fact I can have stiller fit and chamber a Shilen barrel, and have McMillan bedd it, with a Jewell trigger and it will shoot right with any ones gun.....Period....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THUNDERBOLT68</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
All I am trying to say, and I have not said it very well, is most every barrel maker makes a good enough barrel to shoot better than any Tactical guy needs. PERIOD.......

</div></div>

I could not disagree with you more. What is the exact definition of a so called "tactical shooter"? I for one like to squeeze every bit of accuracy out of all of my components, does that make me a benchrest shooter? Nope, but I sure as hell want my equipment to perform as such.

In my opinion,
I am learning the tactical side of shooting, and every guy I am learning from Says they are happy with 1 moa groups. Well, if I am correct that is 1" @ 100 2"@200 3" 300 4" 400 5" @500 etc..
Last place in br world would be better than 1"@100 2"200 etc.
I would also go on record to say I could have a gunsmith barrel five differant barrel company's barrels and anyone would be hard press to see the differance.

I own a Shilen Select Match barrel. It happens to be part of the most accurate rifle in my safe. I also own a Bartlein and have a Kreiger on the way. O feel they are all great barrels.

As far as winning competitions.. It does mean something but not everything... At the very top of the benchrest game and other types of shooting alike, MOST of the best shooters get paid to shoot a certain type barrel. (not to mention bullets, brass, ect.......)

So keep a open mind

It is hard to make a decision with one barrel, that is true. Everyone makes bad barrels once in awhile. But all the top barrel makers warrenty their barrels.

I feel that you gunsmith choice is a bigger factor to worry about.. Their are way more subpar gunbuilders out their than bad barrels.

I would not think twice about using Shilen, Broughton, Kreiger, Bartlein, Pac Nor, Hart, or HS Precision.. I have personally seen each andeveryone of them shoot bugholes!!!!!

11 Hart Barrels
10 Lawton Barrel
1 Shilen
frown.gif

I own:
2 or 3 Krieger Barrels
0 Broughton Barrels
2 or 3 Hart Barrels
0 Lawton Barrel
too many to count Shilen Barrels
smile.gif

The Shilen price for select match that has been factory lapped and stress relieved is just too good to pass up.

I am not going to the world championship, nor or my rifles.
Every rifle I build that averages < 1" is a good one.
Shilen barrels can average ~ 0.1" in windless benchrest, but I am not into benchrest, I am into killing.
I have never shot better than .3" in my life, because there is always some wind.

And I don't need a tournament winning bass boat to catch bass. 30 mph is my speed limit on water.

What does it all mean?
Take the time to figure out the real requirements and balance with price.

Hasgun,

I don't know the difference between button rifled and cut barrels. At this time, I don't need to know.

All I need to know is that fluting voids the warranty.

And all I'm trying to do is help somebody else from making an irrevocable mistake.

The point I'm trying to make bringing up the world open results is this. These guys buy 10+ barrels at a time and have them chambered up for testing. They've tried different barrels from various makers at one time or another and have chosen the barrels that they feel will give them the best chance at match winning accuracy. 10 shot strings in 1000 yard BR will let you know what you have in the way of the rifle and what you have behind it. Several years ago I had regular conversations with a well know Gunsmith from the Dallas Texas area. This Gunsmith is a BR Hall of Fame shooter and his points came from Short Range BR, 100/200 yards. He knows his way around the rifle and lathe. He made a statement to me once that has stuck in my head every since.

"Shilen helped put me in the BR Hall of Fame"

I will agree that for small calibers and or short range BR, Shilen is fine but, my personal experience with them has been anything but stellar, they were all way too soft for my liking. They shot great but, way too soft.

At the end of the day it's still your money, purchase what you like and what you feel gives you the best accuracy and service. For me, it's Krieger, Bartlien & Broughton.

I'm not bashing any makers barrels nor should anyone else.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: selfbowhunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i use what i can find a deal on. this has included SHILEN, HART, BROUGHTON, KRIEGER, ROCK, DOUGLAS and BENCHMARK. ANY of them are capable of making the best barrel you have ever had and ANY of them are capable of making a lemon. i choose to use BENCHMARK when buying from a manufacturer because of the way they treat me. as far as a cut rifled barrel being more accurate or lasting longer than a button rifles barrel, i have not found this to be substantial. if i had to choose, i would say my most accurate barrels have been button rifled, but i have also used more button rifled barrels so it stands to reason. pick what you like or what you can afford. you cant go any more RIGHT or WRONG with one over the other for our applications. you will notice that the shooting sports are extremely FAD driven. if tony boyer is winning with a bartlien, you will see a LOT of them. it doesnt mean they are better it just means they work.

chuck </div></div>

+1 on that. 3-5 years ago, you couldn't swing a dead cat on a benchrest shooting line without hitting a Shilen barrel most of the time, and EVERYONE was looking to see what Tony Boyer was using..... (the same could be said of Leupy scopes but that's for another thread) Now other brands are more common, but Shilen continues to make and sell very good barrels.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> they were all way too soft for my liking. They shot great but, way too soft.

</div></div>

Forgive my newbe question but what does it mean if a barrel is too soft? Does it wear faster os is it a flexing thing? My gun is out right now gitting a Shilen stick.

Dont forget about BRUX Norman Brux is creating some masterpieces with winning accuracy. Very good attention to detail on a cut rifled, double lapped barrel. They also offer the coolest looking interrupted fluting and all at a good price! Just got my last 5 barrels from Brux because Kriegers lead time was too long for me to wait! Brux delivered 5 barrels in 8 weeks!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: heavy barrel</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> they were all way too soft for my liking. They shot great but, way too soft.

</div></div>

Forgive my newbe question but what does it mean if a barrel is too soft? Does it wear faster os is it a flexing thing? My gun is out right now gitting a Shilen stick. </div></div>

It means, when the barrel is machined, the chips come off differently.

Weather that translates to a difference in accuracy or longevity is questionable.

I dont measure a companies product by how many use them. It comes down to what complaints you hear. All the brands listed above meet the standards of accuracy people seek. I wont say one is better than the other based on who is winning the competitions. I'd like to think that skill is whats determining that one. Not arguing your point WNROSCOE, but I cant let that be the determining factor for barrel choice. If you take 5 rifles built exactly the same minus the barrel, using barrels from the top 5 makers out there today, all shot by a skilled marksmen, I imagine the results would be boringly similar.
The decision of brand comes down to pricing and availibility. Shilen meets the bill when it comes to those wanting quality without a huge wait, and affordability. Its also good to know that there are options galore out there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: desertrat1979</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not arguing your point WNROSCOE, but I cant let that be the determining factor for barrel choice. </div></div>

Thats why they make Vanilla & Chocolate Ice Cream, it's all about the choices.

Again, I wasnt bagging on any one barrel manufacturer, just speaking based on my personal experiences and observations.

If its not chambered dead nuts accurately and installed on a trued action with the correct headspace-NONE is worth a shit.

If it works-don't fix it. My luck with Shilen tubes has been disappointing. Today its 1)Bartlein 2)Mike Rock 3)Schneider.

Don't mention who won what with x barrel. Serious competitors change barrels regardless of rounds fired. If its not shooting-it goes in the trash.

The most important part of the equation is using the fine optics produced by COUNTER SNIPER
laugh.gif

wnroscoe Thats why they make Vanilla & Chocolate Ice Cream said:
Oh I didnt think of it as bagging on a barrel. You do provide a valid point. Competitors will use what they feel suits their needs. Cost usually isnt a factor either. For the average Joe who is not trying to win matches, like you said, has a few flavors to choose from.

I have owned Shilens', Kriegers, Bartlein, Obermeyers and some others as well. They were all chambered by very good and well known smiths and ALL shot under 1/2 moa. If you did not know which barrel was which and shot them all you could not tell a difference. I can not speak on which is easier to chamber or finish, has a better whatever etc.. just how they perform. To me, a 1/2 moa gun is a 1/2 moa gun. I do not care if its a $200 barrel or a $500 barrel. That is just my two cents. Everyone has favorites though.

WOW!!! This thread is really something. My background is that of a charter member of the lucky sperm club. I have two uncles that own machine shops and one who builds lots of bug shooter rifles.

Uncle Elvin say this... Lots of gunsmiths do not know the first thing about machine work. They may be able to get around a lathe or a mill to get the job done but that does not make them a machinist. On the other hand a trained machinist should be able to build a custom rifle and it should be relative child's play as it is all about numbers.

if Uncle Elvin builds a rifle and it won't shoot 1/4 MOA he re-barrels it. He uses shilen Select match barrels but doesn't ever discount other makers as he uses them all or has at one time or another. If you think your shilen barrel is junk after you have chambered it, cut the threads, set the head space and crowned it. Guess what? you just call Shilen and they send you another one. No bullshit... No questions about this or that or how you do not know what you are doing Blah-blah blah. This is what happened when dealing with Douglas many years ago. He quit using them. Does it mean that Douglas makes junk barrels? Of course not! It means he had 2 issues dealing with them and didn't like i.t When his customers have a problem he fixes it the same way that Shilen does.

My latest barrel is a lilja that I bought used here on the hide. It was a 6.5x284 at 26 inches or so. Now it is a 24 1/2 inch .260 Remington in a junk HS precision stock that is not bedded and a factory Remington trigger that was set by Uncle e at 2 pounds. It shoots a bullet hole at 100 a larger bullet hole at 200 and about 1/2 inch at 300. Uncle Elvin is also an engineer with a degree in metallurgy.

They all make good barrels. More matches have been won with shilen barrels then any other. I can't shoot better then my barrel shoots. Maybe if my name was Tubbs I could. Reading some of these posts with veiled talk about quality make me laugh. I know guys with guns that cost 4 to 5000 more then i have in some of mine and I am able to out-shoot them with Uncle Elvins builds. Some of those guns have barrels by all the above mentioned. I can usually shoot those guns better then the guy who owns them. At some point you have to be able to shoot a little. I suspect that the average person building a custom build does not have the skill to shoot the gun once it is built to it's full potential. Some of those same guys then bitch about the liljarockinbroughten barrel that just won't shoot and now they need a different barrel.

It's all bullshit.....The % of people who can max the barrel potential is so small that it isn't worth arguing about which barrel is better. The guys who can shoot bug hole groups at distance are going to beat you with whatever they are running.

shilen had it's time at the top. That was when more guys were using them and less choice. Still doesn't mean that any of the others best effort will out-shoot shilens best effort. More choices mean more people trying different things they are going to that if opportunity presents itself. How many are honest enough to admit that they don't shoot any better with the 350 dollar blank then they did the 200 dollar blank?

How do you like your new Jaguar Bill? Oh! it was a 65,000 dollar mistake and I have never been so displeased in my life! When was the last time you heard that?

Same thing applies here. Say you don't use a brand of barrel? Fine! but that doesn't mean at the next match one of them won't grease you. Jeff

Superxjeff, well said. I actually ordered a drop in Shilen barrel for an AR build I am gonna do. I am gonna compare that to some Noveske's I have. We shall see which is more accurate.

This was one of, if not the best debate on barrels I have ever read. This is why this fourm is the BEST shooting fourm on the web. Everyone who chimed in had great items to add, but it was a delight to read.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: banshee sws</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> the trend has been towards cut rifled, ONE GRADE of high quality barrel , ala , OBERMEYER, KRIEGER, <span style="color: #3366FF">ROCK </span>

</div></div>

Not sure that Rock, having the option of production grade buttoned barrels in addition to their cut rifled barrels, have any different tolerance for the two, does anyone know?

I respect all the opinions here. However, using who is winning with which barrel does not mean anything. Let me give you a couple of examples:

I am in to bows and own a Mathew bow and love it. They will tell you that 8 out of 10 champions shoot a Mathews. At first you are like wow. But just because Mathews sponsors them, they win, does not mean that it was because of the bow. These guys are bad asses and am sure would have done just as well with any other top bow. And most of them were champions with other brands and now shoot Mathews the same way that some of the top shooters have switched barrel makers are still on top.

Just because Michael Jordan wore Nike didnt mean that is the reason he was such a great bb player. I would like to know how these "top shooeters" find a windless 1000 yard range to test out between barrel A or B. Am i to understand that they shoot that they find such perfect conditions that they can shoot a 10 shot string with barrel A and then shoot a ten shot string with barrel B and decide which is a better barrel? And during this whole time, no factors such as wind, temperature etc changed?

alpha6164....There are plenty of "windless" nights and early mornings at the 2500 meter range here. I would think they exsist elsewhere.

but I do get your drift....equiptment only gets ya so far.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: subgunr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">alpha6164....There are plenty of "windless" nights and early mornings at the 2500 meter range here. I would think they exsist elsewhere.

but I do get your drift....equiptment only gets ya so far. </div></div>

Not even a little 1mph cross wind down the range?
smile.gif
And in honesty, how do we know? One little gust of wind 1-2mph wind may not be even felt at the bench or even picked up by any flags. And i get your point but i think there are many other variables that may throw your show by 0.1MOA at a 100 yards that have nothing to do with the barrel.

alpha6164 funny you mentioned that...

The location is full of very sensitive dopler radar and lasers that measure extremely small disturbences in air currents and/or particles suspended in the air currents.
Israeli made gear with testing done at this location for detection of moving threats using change in air currents and patterns.
Explained simply; when anything passes thru "air" it creates a wake,no matter how small or slow.

I have seen data plots talking to their engineers that have shown undetectable wind conditions and have been shown a plot where a bird flew thru and changed air currents and levels drastically.

This is not brand new technologhy, several firms in the US are working this also.

With that said,I agree with you totally about the other varibles involved. I kindoff think the whole barrel debate is like the "flavor of the month club".

sub,

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: subgunr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">alpha6164....There are plenty of "windless" nights and early mornings at the 2500 meter range here. I would think they exsist elsewhere.

Where? You must mean in the dark, haha..And where is this 2500 meter windless range on the space coast?

Right next to you in Osceola county.

BTW: I would hope folks who are serious about shooting,have equiptment to shoot in the dark at more than a couple hundred yards.

sub,
out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skunkworks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Every single build I do has to start from the exact same baseline and follow the exact same set of standards and adopted machining tolerances in an effort to guarantee what I say I can guarantee. Of the barrels I've used, I've had the same consistent issues with one manufacturer. Therefore, I choose to no longer use that particular manufacturer. </div></div>
This was a very good barrel thread and I actually liked that it was brought back up. I do think what Mike said above captures the builder's mind set on how and what they choose. They are guaranteeing a product for sale and they have to have the same tolerances on all their products and services to ensure that they can produce a constant outcome or their customers will go elsewhere. When certain manufacturers can produce that constant outcome for a builder he will stay with that as that is one less thing to worry about in the build.

Lets be honest, 90% people on this site could not tell the difference in the barrels if sold to them. I could be told I got a Bartlein but it really is a Shilen and I couldn't tell the difference. I am an amateur and don't have enough concentration abilities to be great with the rifle on a consistent basis.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: __JR__</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: subgunr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">alpha6164....There are plenty of "windless" nights and early mornings at the 2500 meter range here. I would think they exsist elsewhere.

Where? You must mean in the dark, haha..And where is this 2500 meter windless range on the space coast? </div></div>

Don't you be stirring the pot young man!!! You know damn well there are guys out there that can shoot a one caliber hole with the next larger caliber,"if they do their part"!!!
wink.gif
Just don't go there today JR or ya ain't gettin yer Christmas present!
smile.gif

Shilen? Shilen? I thought they went out of business when Ed retired?
smile.gif

Back in the day Shilen barrels led the pack at the NBRSA Nationals as they did at most shoots west of the Mississippi. Conversely, Hart led the pack at the IBS nationonals and most shoots in the East. I believe the barrel you shot had more to do with the region you lived in than the quality of the barrel. Today it seems to be a Barlein/Kreiger thing with a few of everything else thrown in for good measure. However, the where you live argument no longer holds water since they are both in Wisconson. I've only had one Shilen and it shot as well as my Hart barrels of which I have had more than 20. To tell the truth, if I did a blind taste test with Hart, Shilen, Bartlein and Kreiger on my PPC, fit and chambered with my reamer and by the same smith that does all of my work, I probably couldn't tell the difference until I cleaned them; and that's a big maybe.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: subgunr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Right next to you in Osceola county.

BTW: I would hope folks who are serious about shooting,have equiptment to shoot in the dark at more than a couple hundred yards.

sub,
out. </div></div>

You're not getting off that easily, I want an address or a name of the club...PM if you have to..Would save a hell of a lot of travel time to Manatee just to practice...

>>BTW: I would hope folks who are serious about shooting,have equiptment to shoot in the dark at more than a couple hundred yards.<<

What? Ask SDWhirlwind, I'm yahoo serious..:p

Lot's of great barrels out there today. Trend has a lot to do with it.

LOL!It's not a CLUB you either have to have Security clearance as an Operator on said project or Deep roots in the R&D community for Special projects to access the particular range Subgunr is referring to.Damn some guys have all the luck!!!!