• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Shilen barrels

Klemm

Online Training Member
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2013
Are these barrels any good. I have heard some mixed reviews about them. Anyone have any experience. I know they are button cut.

I have a 11.25 twist Shilen in .308 on a trued 700. With 175 SMK's and Bergers Match it is a very good barrel.

Reactions: Robin 03A3
Have a 24" 300WSM 1:10 Select Match barrel that with some cheap Hornady Whitetail consistently shoots sub MOA. (have a bunch more stuff to try yet) Will order another when the time comes.
Ballistic-X-Export-2020-05-31 21:08:52.376142.png

No complaints with mine. Lead times for a oddball caliber may be long but that’s with any manufacturer really.

I've got 2 shilen barrels right now both in a 6mm chambering. I couldn't be happier with the one- but the second was pretty disappointing. It took a lot of work to find a load that it would shoot good and it collected copper like no other barrel I've ever seen. It is a CM barrel and the one I am happy with is stainless.

I have one on an AR15 chambered in 20 Prac. It shoots very well and I have no complaints.

I was dissappointed with mine. 6 Dasher. Was great up until 400 rounds. Then accuracy started degrading. At 800 rounds it was barely MOA with some bad fliers. 105 Bergers at 2950 with 26" barrel and Varget.

Use them all the time, never had a dud.
Pass along the "mixed reviews"?

LOL reminds me of a acquaintance I met at the range, guy had a RPR in 6.5 that would not shoot. Blamed the "crap Ruger barrel".
Had a custom top tier barrel spun up for it. Gun did not shoot any better, guess it wasn't the barrel.

Just a couple of passing comments from my Smith. He will not use them anymore. Stated if you get a good one it shoots lights out, but he’s had a few that didn’t.

had a 260 barrel from shilen. one of the best barrels/load combo i have ever had. Then i decided to chase the kool-aid. Lot of variables that go into shooting, granted a good barrel is helpful. only barrel that didnt perform was from a well known company but decided to give them another try cause well occaisionally everyone kicks out a stinker.

I've had quite a few Shilen barrels over the years and still own a few. I've never had a bad barrel and had a couple that were extremely good, I don't make target rifles, only rifles used for hunting and informal target. I accuracy and ladder test at 300 yds, my best group with a Shilen was .202 from a .270 at 300 yds.
There are probably a lot of target rifles that would consider this good accuracy. The last rifle that I built with a Shilen was a 7SAUM that shot a .253 group at 300 yds. Both were chrome moly barrels. With that said, in a hunting rifle I have been using a lot of Wilson barrels, they are very consistent and lapped. Also a very good price point at under $200 for a profiled blank. They shoot very well.

I have had a dozen over the last 5 years without any complaints. 22 cal hot rods, 6mm’s, 6.5s, and 7mm’s. They have been just as good as other top barrels I own. I wouldn’t hesitate to use another one

6.5 creed chambered at shilen , 24" ratchet on gas gun . A shooter.

22 nosler upper built by dtec .24" ratchet .A shooter

7mm wby 28" Custom chambered by smith, ratchet #5 contour. A shooter

6 creed. 26" Custom chambered by smith, ratchet #5 contour .A shooter.

3 " match" 1 select match above. All ss, all broke in quick and found load easily. With what im seeing, gonna be hard for me to switch brands, although bartlien (sp?) may be my next buy, when i put a 22creed together.

Any barrel will shoot until it fouls.
The Shilen select match barrels like mirror inside. They have been hand lapped.
Just like looking into my Lilja, Krieger, Benchmark, Hart, Parker Hale, Walther Lothar, Bartlien, ect

I guess call me the odd man out but the 1 and only Shilen I had was a dud. High SD's, very very hard to find a load, and after finally finding one the accuracy was meh. This was one in my 223 Rem Bolt Gun Pre-fit vs shouldered review a few years back... Every other barrel in that review shot lights out, very easy to reload for and extremely accurate... (Bartlein, Krieger, CBI, Mullerworks, Shilen)

26" Shilen Stainless Select Match Bull 223 Wylde 1:7

I reached out to Shilen about it, got a reply stating it would be forwarded to the appropriate person and they would be in touch shortly. Not another reply, email, phone call from them.

Shilen supports our TX juniors and adult high power team with barrel donation and discount. They also support the Louisiana team.

Can't say enough good things about their support for the kids - the future gun owners who will carry the torch when we are all long gone.

Shilen barrels hold a few service rifle national records at Camp Perry, including the much coveted 6 man civilian team record established in 2016 by our TX State Association adult team.

Shillen barrels are all i use. been very happy with them.