• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Shilen Trigger problem?

Jackalope33B

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 5, 2010
Sunny Florida
I just got my rifle yesterday. I have dried fired it a handful of times. Today when I went to take the bolt out and put it back in, it was not "resetting" the firing pin. After looking at the sear, there was no "play" to it. I could not even engage the safety. So I took the trigger out of the receiver and cleaned it. I put the bolt back in and it fired fine. When I went to cycle the bolt It once again would not "reset" the firing pin. When I looked at the sear I noticed again there was no "play" in it at all. It appeared as if it was jammed. So I was in the process of removing the front pin that holds the front of the trigger housing and also holds the sear again. As soon as the pin was loose, the sear would have "play" in it. The bolt was put back in and it fired fine again. But then the whole sear getting stuck was happening all over.

Are there any fixes to this? I dont see where anything is binding in the trigger mechanism

Re: Shilen Trigger problem?

Take the barreled action out of the stock and see if it still does it. If it doesnt then it is not the trigger. Chances are that it is not the trigger anyways(unless it just needs to be adjusted for more sear engagement),but try taking it out of the stock and let us know what happens.

Scott

Hey scott, I did take the trigger housing out of the receiver. It appears once the front pin that holds the trigger housing and the sear in place into the rexeicer is relieved of pressure the sear will reengauge.

Finally I narrowed it down to the Safety on the trigger housing was causing the sear to freeze up. After seeing where the hang up was, I decided to file down a little at a time on the safety mechanism. Now the bolt works. Has anyone else had this issue? Not sure if Shilen triggers are prone to this. Im thinking of getting a Jewel trigger and be done with it. Any thoughts?

1323453625986.jpg

1323453619733.jpg

1323453613434.jpg

1323453606981.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jackalope33B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the post guys. I'm actually just looking for the safety lever itself.. </div></div>

Like I said, Brownell's and Midway should both carry them. I've bought it from Brownells' before; though I don't see it listed currently on the site.

Jackalope:

Could you re-post your pictures? only one is showing up for me.

I'm having the same problem with the Shilen trigger and the Rifle Basix safety on my kids' rifle. With mine, I can get the trigger to reset by pushing forward on the safety (in the fire position), but I am sufficiently confused about what exactly is happening that I wouldn't know where in particular I'd need to file to fix the problem.

Thanx.

I deleted them all. Guess I missed one LOL.. You can see in the picture where I filed down. There was a little bur on there preventing the sear to re-engage.. You need to take the safety lever off the trigger mechanism to fully understand what Im talking about. If you are NOT comfortable doing, let a gun smith have at it. After all, its your child rifle...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jackalope:

Could you re-post your pictures? only one is showing up for me.

I'm having the same problem with the Shilen trigger and the Rifle Basix safety on my kids' rifle. With mine, I can get the trigger to reset by pushing forward on the safety (in the fire position), but I am sufficiently confused about what exactly is happening that I wouldn't know where in particular I'd need to file to fix the problem.

Thanx. </div></div>

Thanks.

The remaining pic shows up better on a different computer. I just couldn't see where you'd filed clearly.

There's no "safety" problem. It's just a hassle with re-setting the trigger.

Get the Jewell and be done. Lifes to short to fool with it. Had problems with every thing I have ever had from Shilen.