• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SHIN SPLINTS. . .

Re: SHIN SPLINTS. . .

I'm in Alaska and there is a store called the Skinny Raven that specializes in running shoes. They will put you in a generic pair of running shoes on a treadmill and videotape your gait. Then analize it in slow motion to see how your feet are impacting the ground. After this they have you stand on a plate that scans your arches. With all this information they recomend a running shoe this is perfect for your running style and foot shape. All this is included as a free service with a purchase (which is actualy cheaper than the sporting good stores with crapped customer service). I don't know if this store is natiowide, but I would definately try to find one that is like it. Helped my splints tremendously

My highschool track coaches always said "chin splints don't exist" we don't want to hear you gripe about them
smile.gif
that being said after you get them you need to let them rest because its your muscles being pulled away from the bone...running on hard surfaces without the proper shoe is a definite contributor to them. If you have a specialized shoe store they will watch you walk or have you run on a treadmill and diagnose what type of runner you are and give you the perfect shoe. These shoes will more likely cost more but its worth it in my opinion especially if you run a lot. We have a place in Phoenix called Roadrunners that videos you on a treadmill and replays it in super slow motion to break it down and they fit you right there. Icing and wrapping your shins after a workout will help.

here's what I use Dit Da Jow. You can get it from several stores. here's a few links
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dit_da_jow
www.scarfamilyditdajow.com
www.plumdragonherbs.com
I found out about it from a friend. It has worked for my 18 months of physical therapy helped but Dit Da Jow helped me get back into walking and running again.
The other thing you need to look at is the way you are running. I stress fractured both my legs while running incorrectly. Here some information for you.

www.newtonrunning.com

The newton site has good info on the biomechanics for running.

www.vibramfivefingers.com/

I'm not saying to go out running barefoot but, if you can learn to run the right way you will end up with less injuies.

Read "Born to Run". Everything else you do is a band-and fix. If you're really serious about incorporating running into your PT regiment research "barefoot running" you will learn much of what causes the typical injuries associated with running and how you can increase your cardiovascular health without injuring yourself.

Try strengthening the muscles around your shin. Use some elastic tubing to pull upwards with your foot/ankle. It did the trick for me.

Everything that everybody else had said so far is valid.

Remember RICE:
Rest
Ice
Compress
Elevate
(AFTER A RUN)

Be sure to warm it up (maybe with a heat pack) but definitely by stretching:
Sit down, put affected foot over the other leg, hold leg in place, and pull toes/top of foot towards you. Stretch out that muscle before and after working out, do it every night regardless. Use this general framework: stretch, warmup, workout, warm down, cool down, stretch.

Since some of it is muscle separation, try some aspirin as well to reduce inflammation.

I'm not a pro or a dr. But one thing that a very smart man showed me years ago was to use a foam roller on my calf muscle. Sit on your butt with your legs straight out infront of you. Place the roller under one of your calfs and use your body weight for pressure as you roll back and forth on the roller. It hurts like a mother but it works for me.
I have also used a kitchen rolling pin and "rolled" my calf muscle. Again it hurts but feels better after. You can actually feel the knots in your calf. Give it a try, but again im not a dr. And it may not work for all people.

get off the f'g treadmill!! This is the single best system for creating "shin splints" in a vulnerable anterior compartment of the lower extremity. The gait on a treadmill is NOT transferable to one's gait on the road, and, unless your SWAT tryout is on a f'g treadmill, you'll only injure yourself more by "training" on one. Don't ask me how I know this
smile.gif

tony

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: copdoc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">get off the f'g treadmill!! This is the single best system for creating "shin splints" in a vulnerable anterior compartment of the lower extremity. The gait on a treadmill is NOT transferable to one's gait on the road</div></div>

Very true in my experience. I live in the north, and if it is below -20, I am often on a treadmill, or elliptical. The transfer off of it is always a shock.

The other thing that is huge is stride, as mentioned by others. You can either methodically ensure that you land on the balls of your feet under yourself, or just wear vibrams one a week for your long runs. Either methods will correct your stride.

I went to a chiropractor that specializes in Active release and I've seen results. He also addressed Plantars Fascitus I had in both feet.

I did some stupid stuff over a 2 day period and now I have shin splints in my right leg. Sucks. Ice, advil, and wrappings are my new best friends.

good advice fella's...i've recently suffered shin splints...went too fast -- too long -- too much weight in the ruck...haven't done serious rucking in years and paid for it...i used motrin, icing, stretching religiously, and compression socks then took it lightly for a while...

After about 4 months the Doc has finally said that I have shin spints and Compartment sydrome. They have gotten that bad that they Ache everyday all day.

I am having Bone scans today and will have to wait out on the compartment test but that should be in the next few weeks.

Its looking like surgery before the end of the year. but its a 60% chance that it will be fixed.

I have always been susceptible to shin splints. I noticed that when i run i point my toes outward. Once I started focusing on pointing them forward it helped but I still get them.

I had shin splints since 1993, then I started barefoot running last year and never had them again. Look into it!

Four compartment manometry is always a fun test...best test for chronic exertional compartment syndrome. Good luck.

I would say the shoes are the culprit. Years ago, while in the Corps, we would run everywhere. Even when walking would have done a better job, we would friggin' run. Anyways, when we would run with combat boots on, I would feel that pain between the bone and muscle the next day. When we ran in tennis shoes, I would not. Just like Forrest Gump said, "Stupid is as stupid does". JMHO.
whistle.gif

yeah i have extremely bad shin splints. i eventually gave up running all together. if i jog maybe 1/4 of a mile it gets bad fast. if i run 1 mile ill be limping for weeks. i just hike now. when i was a kid i could run 6 minute miles like nothing. i still have good cariovascular just not the right legs.

I went to my trainer/ ART doc and he stretched my foot down while pushing on my shin, and it was gone in a couple days.

Damn stretching is the answer for everything

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Slippery_Pete</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I went to my trainer/ ART doc and he stretched my foot down while pushing on my shin, and it was gone in a couple days.

Damn stretching is the answer for everything </div></div>

not in my case... i can stretch all i want before and after and it dosent do much. the only releif ive found to help some is icy hot on my shins afterwards.

In school we always jogged backwards in the turns durin our cool down,,,,seemedt help.My wife used athletic tape on her shins,I think that was more mental.

I got the compression testing done. I am now booked in for my Surgery on 30 Aug. its been about 8 months now made worse by the fact i told the medic that it was compartment sydrome in Feb.

I will have about 6 months of rehab after that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jammyband</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I used to get them really bad, but I found an exercise that works for me. Lay on your bed face down, and then hook the tops of your feet over the edge of the matress. Pull your toes toward your knees using the matress as resistance. Do four or five sets until failure. I think the bio behind it is evening out the strength of the muscles in the lower leg? I'm not sure, but I know that if I ever feel the shin splints starting up, that exercise gets rid of them for me... good shoes too (having said that, I often run on the beach barefoot so who knows?) </div></div>

This is a good idea, in addition to confirming that your shoes are well suited for your running style. Another exercise that achieves the same thing is to hook your foot under furniture (an ottoman, for example), and lift it up by bringing your toes toward your knees. stronger shins = better ability to compensate for overdoing it, poor shoes, etc.

G45

I had chronic shin splints when I ran in College. D1 T&F. The trainer gave us alot of tips to prevent them. He was selected as the US Olympic team trainer also.

1. Buy Dixie Cups and freeze them. Tear off the tops and use ice massage on your shins after you run. This helps alot.

2. Toe taps: During the day, plant your heel into the ground and tap your toe on the floor. You should feel your shins getting used in this exercise. This strengthens the muscle that go over them.

3. You might have a stress fracture: Some people may be prone to these. IF you get an Xray, they will appear fuzzy over the bone. SOme docs miss this. Drink milk.

4. Get high compression socks and wear them while running. They help, OR

5. Get a compression sleeve with inserts. They sell them commercially, or you can tape tounge depressors (large wood flat sticks) to your shins to keep them down.

That last one let me race freshman year... I looked like the biggest horses ass but I was able to compete. Then I found a neoprene replacement.