• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shipping query

Finn55

Private
Minuteman
Jun 17, 2010
Victoria, Australia
Hello SH community!
I have a question for mainly the Australian contingent here, but will take any info I can get.

I am wanting to purchase a spotting scope from Sport Optics in the US. I live in Australia, and apparently its very difficult to ship from the store to my door.

Ideally I would need a friend or relative in the States who would receive the item from Sport Optics and in turn ship it to me.

As I don't know anyone in the States currently, I am looking for an alternative.

I have heard of companies that facilitate this exact issue.
Have any of you tried them? Are there other ways?

I appreciate your help on the matter, and no doubt I'm overlooking something.

Cheers,
Finn

Re: Shipping query

You could always ship it to me and I will test it out when I get home from Afghan to make sure there are no flaws. Once I am satisfied its up to par I can send it your way.

I caution you though it may not arrive in the like new shape but it will have been well tested for durability, reliability and function.

I'm not going to do that for you, but I could possibly help you find a vendor who does International shipping.

Which make/model are you buying?

Hey mate,

There are companies you can sign up with that give you a po box or something in the states, you get it sent to them, and then they send it to you. A guy at work has one and buys a lot of things that way. I haven’t bothered with it as most vendors on here ship internationally with most things. I would take Tucker301 up on his offer.

I can find out the company he uses if you want? dont know much about how it works myself, but i do know shipping costs go up quite abit, thats how they make their money.

Pete

If the item is manufactured in the US I believe it is illegal to export the item without a special license from Department of State. If the item isn't made in the US you should be ok to order.

I would caution against USPS based on my own experience.

Quoted 3 -10 days International Priority and at present at 32 days and counting.

I guess it is OK if your ordering it now for when you have grand kids who will need it.

Ferryman,

Bloody hell, thats a long wait, you should be able to track your order.
Where is it being held at the moment?

Albert

God only knows where it is being held.

I try USPS and get the details of when they received it.

I try Royal Mail and they send me back to the shipper and USPS

Kasey posted it June 17th at 2.33pm

Had to go out and get an AI Bipod so I could shoot at the weekend.

Ferryman, that is crap. Maybe go into your local post office and see if they can do anything for you.
The only time a package of mine has taken longer than normal is when Australia Post was having strikes about work conditions. It shouldn’t take that long.

Finn, it depends on the particular optic you want to buy as to whether they will be able to send it international or not, as far as i know.

Cheers

Pete

Ferryman, if by Royal Mail you ment your local post office, forget the first thing i said..lol

Thankyou all for your replies.

The scope I'm chasing is the Zeiss Spotter 60. It's not listed on price catalogues in Australia as far as I know. Been into a few gun shops, who look on their Zeiss books.

I've contacted a couple of places in Victoria and one in Adelaide to see if they can order in. Apparently the Zeiss rep in Australia has changed.

I appreciate the offer Tucker301 and Pete86. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Finn

Hey Finn,

The guy who has the account set up in the states is not at work today, so will find that out another time for you.

Had a little look for that spotter. Euro optics does have them on their site, but not in stock, here’s the link;

http://www.eurooptic.com/zeiss-hensoldt-spotting-scopes.asp

Liberty Optics also deals in Zeiss stuff, so i would be email those guys for availability and see if they can help you out. Both are great to deal with. Cant speak highly enough of Scott at Liberty.

I know one guy who has bought a Zeiss scope from Eurooptic, so you should be right with their spotters too, but not 100% sure with that though.

Pete

I've shipped to a couple of people in Austria from the LRH forum. On the export paper or bill of lading I always mark gift. Hell ship it to my house I'll send it to you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: astro</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've shipped to a couple of people in Austria from the LRH forum. On the export paper or bill of lading I always mark gift. Hell ship it to my house I'll send it to you. </div></div>

This reminds me. If you get one sent over and its not marked as a 'gift', from my understanding anything over $1000, GST will get put on top of it too when it comes into Aus. If this is not right, someone jump in here!

SWFA is another place to look, pretty sure they ship international too, dont quote me on that though. Heres the link

http://swfa.com/Zeiss-Tactical-Spotting-Scopes-C1941.aspx

Pete

Thankyou Pete and astro,
Good tip with the 'mark as a gift'. How is this done though? Do I get the supplier to wrap a ribbon on the box or something not so silly?
I will email both Eurooptic and LibertyOptics, thanks for the names Pete.

Cheers,
Finn

Hey Finn,

Not sure if vendors will ship stuff as a gift or not, you can only ask i spose. I haven’t had this done before so not sure about it. Its only a box the sender will have to tick claiming the package is a gift. Once again, don’t quote me on this one cause i don’t know if they will do it and how it all works.

Good luck.

Pete

Hey Pete,
Just a quick update: Scott emailed me back, and said that the 'Hensoldt guy' won't do business with him, and he also thought that it would be an export controlled item.
Awaiting reponses from SWFA and EuroOptic.
Here's hoping.
I'll keep this thread informed, as I'm sure other people will want to do this in the future.
Cheers,
Finn

mmm, not sounding good if Scott thinks its an 'export controlled item'. You could also email Zeiss direct and see who their dealers are in Aus. But if its 5 grand in the States, i'd hate to see the price in Aus
crazy.gif

Pete

Hey Finn,

I got to thinking. Zeiss make cameras, what about some of the camera shops around Vic. I got my Leica spotter (APO Telavid)from one of the camera shops here in Adelaide. just a thought.

Albert

Thanks aam,

Not a bad idea, I will ring around tomorrow.
SWFA emailed back, they can't ship outside the US due to export laws.
I received word back from Adelaide Optical Centre, they quoted me on the Zeiss Diascope 65, not the Zeiss Spotter 60 despite me specifying the item I was after.
Ill keep plugging away.

Finn