• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shipping Rifle in Starlight/Pelican

19Scout77

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 9, 2007
GA
I need to ship a rifle in a starlight via UPS or fed ex ground, but I'm having a helluva time finding an appropriate box to put it in.

Any ever tape up a heavy duty case (pelican/starlight etc) and ship without a box around it?

Re: Shipping Rifle in Starlight/Pelican

Haven't done it with guns, but I have with computers. Where I work we ship laptops around in pelican and similar cases via Fed Ex (6 laptops to the case). Don't have to tape them. We just put a combination lock on them. Works very well.

They pick up a few scuffs, but stand up well. We haven't had to replace any yet (the cases are about 5 years old and probably ship 4-6 times a year).

I've done it in the past and I have received firearms I have bought in that shape too. It costs a small fortune compared to something like one of the foam-padded, cardboard firearm shipping boxes due to the extra size and weight, but it works and it is very safe (I can't recall how much, but for aprrox. 15lb rifle/scope/etc. in a 1720 case, I want to say it was like $75+ for UPS Ground). Just slap the shipping label right on the lid of the case, run some HD packing/mailing tape around the case at all the hinge/latch points and be done with it. They don't pick up any extra scuffs/scars/knicks/etc. than they do when you fly with them and the TSA monkeys have their way.

The only other thing I have seen done (not done it myself though) is to just take an oversized cardboard box and "wrap" the hard case in it making a make-shift box, or see if you can find a case dealer that's local to you that may have a large rifle case box that it will fit into.

With a tactical rifle I would have no problem just using a foam/cardboard box. They are nowhere near as fragile as folks would believe.

Next best would be a Plano type case, well taped and inserted back into it's cardboard box. It's a lot lighter than a Pelican and will cost you less to ship.

If it is something that it irreplaceable, I would have no problem shipping it in a Pelican. They can take an enormous amount of abuse.

While replaceable and durable as hell--the rifle and gear is still REALLY expensive and the case was already cut out to fit the rifle and all the gear I sold with it. Its going to cost about $100 with $6k in insurance, but money well spent for peace of mind.

Thanks guys. Your experiences bear out what I assumed to be the "case"
smile.gif

I have shipped mine twice in just the pelican case. I put 2 padlocks on it with a matching key and shipped the key out first. I like the idea of the combination lock. A simple e-mail with the combination to whomever you are sending it to and you are set. If you don't want to have any residue from the shipping label on the case put clear packing tape on the case and the label on top of that.

I've shipped a trijicon scope back and forth in a Nanuck case. Made sure that it was well labeled with my name (and a reference number). Came back to me inside of a box.

Otherwise I've recently bought 2 Pelican/hardigg cases and they were shipped sans cardboard without any issues. Plus, remember, even if there is an issue, the warranty protects Pelican/Hardigg from everything except shark bites and children 5 and younger (IIRC)

Also remember to put the shipping addresses INSIDE the case. Sticky stuff sometimes doesn't hold well on that plastic. Tough cases.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bikemancs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've shipped a trijicon scope back and forth in a Nanuck case. Made sure that it was well labeled with my name (and a reference number). Came back to me inside of a box.

Otherwise I've recently bought 2 Pelican/hardigg cases and they were shipped sans cardboard without any issues. Plus, remember, even if there is an issue, the warranty protects Pelican/Hardigg from everything except shark bites and children 5 and younger (IIRC) </div></div>

I also recall the Pelican warrantee not covering bear attack. I always thought that stuff was funny.

I find large cardboard boxes and open them up and wrap them around the case. Lots of tape and a little work and you have a box.
wink.gif

Also if I am not mistaken UPS will consider the pelican, if on the outside and shipped as the "box", as the packing material so any damage to it won't be covered. Not like there would be any but stranger things have happened.

I have found when selling my Hardigg 12 gun M4/M16 cases that I have over on AR15.com that if I wrap them in cardboard or cut down a box to put them in that the cost goes up when shipping via UPS. On those big cases if I ship without packaging I get that 70lb shipped for about $80 anywhere in the CONUS from Alabama.

make your own box, cut out some carboard and tape it aroind the case, i've done it, it works fine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I need to ship a rifle in a starlight via UPS or fed ex ground, but I'm having a helluva time finding an appropriate box to put it in.

Any ever tape up a heavy duty case (pelican/starlight etc) and ship without a box around it?</div></div>

i have done this numerous times i duct tape and zip tie the lock holes shut and duct tape on the shipping infor on front. may not be pretty but gets the job done. mind you i don't ever charge extra for the hardcase so they can't really complain about the tape residue.

I've shipped .338 Lapua rifles this way and have had to get two new Pelican cases using the lifetime warranty. Looked like the post office dropped them from the highest truck they had.

Cracked the end of the case off but the rifles were safe inside.